Thread: Google sucks

Default Google sucks

https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbwssl.cgi

Regretting to inform everyone that google's "don't be evil" policy is again at work. First youtube ads and now this...

So read the sensational headlines, ignore the quotes?

"[Mr Schmidt] insisted that as none of the data had been used or lost, nobody had been harmed by the affair though he accepted there was damage to his company's reputation."

"Google said as soon as it became aware of the problem it grounded its Street View cars from collecting wi-fi information and segregated the data on its network."

And to top it off, their plan for the data:

"Our ultimate objective is to delete the data consistent with our legal obligations and in consultation with the appropriate authorities."

Where is the evil in this?

The evil is in the possible danger that lies with google. Assume nobody uses a proxy or any other masking device. Then they have a full and complete record of all activities you ever did on google. It's an advertisers dream, it's a communist government's dream, etc. It is to me the complete opposite of the idea of the internet. The idea being this vast dispersion of knowledge where everything does not emanate from one source but with google we have reached this end where they control what you see and hear on the internet as well as know what you do stemming from going to their site.

Quote Originally Posted by angelfallenfar View Post
    So read the sensational headlines, ignore the quotes?

"[Mr Schmidt] insisted that as none of the data had been used or lost, nobody had been harmed by the affair though he accepted there was damage to his company's reputation."

"Google said as soon as it became aware of the problem it grounded its Street View cars from collecting wi-fi information and segregated the data on its network."

And to top it off, their plan for the data:

"Our ultimate objective is to delete the data consistent with our legal obligations and in consultation with the appropriate authorities."

Where is the evil in this?
    Where's the evil in commiting a criminal act that breaches privacy laws in many countries...?

Their response is what any criminal caught red-handed would say: "Oops! Oh I didn't mean to steal that chocolate bar - I just forgot to pay. I fully intend to return to the shop and pay for it, honest, guv'nor. No one's been harmed, the chocolate bar hasn't been eaten or lost, I will pay for it eventually and have stitched up my trouser pockets so I won't "accidentally" steal one again; what's the problem?"

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbwssl.cgi

Regretting to inform everyone that google's "don't be evil" policy is again at work. First youtube ads and now this...
    What I got from the redirect page that the scraper posts is that google is screwing around with their search display again. So the way scroogle scrapes the search page (a certain way it's coded to do so) is broken again. This happened last month for a week and hopefully this will be just as long (or shorter even).
    And to bypass the youtube ads, use html5 or another script from the greasemonkey/userscripts plugin.

---------- Post added 11-07-2010 at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was 04-07-2010 at 11:32 AM ----------

All fixed now.

While Scroogle's motives may be pure, they have no right to scrape Google. Google has changed the format of their website many times to remain competitive. Perhaps they also change the format to block Scroogle, perhaps not. Even if that is the case, there's nothing evil about it.
    I have some concerns that Google may be breaching users' privacy, but nothing to stop me from using Google completely.