Thread: way to disable ubuntu's GRUB bootloader?

Question way to disable ubuntu's GRUB bootloader?

Okay, so I get that its meant for ease of choosing which to boot, but its annoying me. Is there a way to have GRUB disabled and use Window's boot menu? When you press F8 on windows, you get to a boot screen (safe mode, last known good config, normal, etc), is there a way to make windows auto boot without using GRUB?

boot-->F8-->Windows boot menu-->CHOOSE Ubuntu

I want to have Ubuntu for TB/DL related things, and Windows for everything else. I want windows to be the first to boot without asking.

P.S. sorry I couldn't explain it better...if you have any questions, just ask. Thanks again!

You can do this with ubuntu and GRUB!

If you want Windows to boot first, and say, 5 seconds to choose your desired OS to boot (in other words, you'd have 5 seconds to use your arrow keys to choose ubuntu, otherwise wait 5 seconds or pressing enter would automatically boot windows)

Here's what you do:

Open a Terminal in ubuntu, Applications --> Accessories --> Terminal.

then type as follows:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

it will ask for your password, type it in, and press enter.

Then look for the following;

default 0

if you're using an unmodified GRUB loader, then you'd have 2 ubuntu choices, memtest86+, other OS divider, then Windows. Count, starting from 0. 0, 1, 2, 3.

If this is the case, then replace 0 with 3.

Now, look for;

timeout 30

replace 30 with how many seconds you wish before automatically choosing the default selection, which was just made "windows"

Now press the "Save" button, and close the window.

Then reboot your computer .

any questions, lemme know

You could always edit the bootloader to start with windows by default after about 10 secs. the comands are fairly easy

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst_bak

-always make a backup

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

-this will open the boot menu as a text file so you can edit it.
    -then change where it says which os boots as a default. ( it should have a 0 there now for Ubuntu)
    -Then change the value to number corresponding to Windows (you can look at the bottom of this page or in the bootloader itself to count to windows and the line that says "other OS" counts too)

hope this helps