Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Conservative Party - G20

Default Canadian Conservative Party - G20

So, the G20 and G8 are over. Do you think that its was worth a billion dollars and do you think it was worth it?

Discuss

Well that depends on your definition of useful. If by useful, you mean "a bunch of hippies setting cop cars on fire", then yes. However, if you mean "accomplished something of value that contributes to society", then no.

Mako

They went for aesthetic over practicality. Sure, hold it in Canada. DO NOT hold it in down town Toronto. They could have built a runway and a fancy hotel/meeting area in the middle of buttfuck no where for cheaper then what it cost to secure the area of the city.

I agree with Mako. The only way to those meting with minimal impact is to do it in the middle of nowhere. I have to say, I feel horrible for all those business owner that are located right next to where the security zone was... What do they get out of all this, except broken windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I have to say, I feel horrible for all those business owner that are located right next to where the security zone was... What do they get out of all this, except broken windows?
    They knew it was coming. They were warned it was coming. Some businesses boarded up, closed, and did everything else they could to protect their stores. Those are the businesses that will be reimbursed by the government. The McDonalds and Starbucks and bran name clothing stores that ignored the warning will not.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    They knew it was coming. They were warned it was coming. Some businesses boarded up, closed, and did everything else they could to protect their stores. Those are the businesses that will be reimbursed by the government. The McDonalds and Starbucks and bran name clothing stores that ignored the warning will not.
    Stop and think about that for a second. The government chose to hold the summit when they knew there would be vandalism, so they hold it in downtown Toronto. Blaming the businesses here is really off base, they shouldn't be expected to close because of government incompetence and vanity. There was absolutely no reason to hold it where they did other then "Oh look at us, we have big cities too."

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    Stop and think about that for a second. The government chose to hold the summit when they knew there would be vandalism, so they hold it in downtown Toronto. Blaming the businesses here is really off base, they shouldn't be expected to close because of government incompetence and vanity. There was absolutely no reason to hold it where they did other then "Oh look at us, we have big cities too."
    Yup.

Every time they hold one of things, there are messy and usually violents protests against one thing or another. You'd think the organizers would learn. Of course the organizers probably aren't the one's paying for the cleanup.

Well as long as we are not going to blame the people who "demonstrated" by "protesting" in the form of violence. Its not the looters and fault they were overcome by anger at the injustice of BLAH BLAH BLAH..... I wonder what some of you would be saying if the tea party folks had been their smashing it up with the rest?

Honestly, I'm still not sure why we even bother with these G20 conferences. They cost so much damn money from top-to-bottom, and realistically, there's no reason these world leaders can't learn to use a fucking computer and do this shit online. If, for some reason, it HAD to be face-to-face, Mako is right. There's lots of empty space out in the prairies where that shit could have happened hundreds of kilometers from the nearest city. Security in those places would have been a snap, and the worst thing that protesters could have broken would be some trees.

I have to concur with you on that, the G20 is a waste. Could you imagine what FOX and the other idiots on the right would scream if they did hold in the back country. I can see it now: FOX: "G20 held at secret location by Obama, so much for transparency" then Glenn Beck: "I believed they were the tree hugging environmental crowd, how many trees did they cut down so they could have the secret meeting?" and then ALEX JONES...... "Obama's an alien meeting with all the other aliens from alpha centari in a secret meeting spot deep in the woods..... it a conspiracy of interglacial proportionals and we are the only ones with cameras the infiltrated they secret alien meeting to take over the earth and begin slave labor to export chocolate"

Hey by the way did you hear Senator Byrd died today, thats going to be a tough blow for the dems.