Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: wtf "offensive shirt"

Default wtf "offensive shirt"

Ok, i bought a t-shirt online from a guy who wrights an amazing web comic i read(the pic on the shirt http://www.liondogworks.com/store/heart.jpg). And my mom didn't approve of it this morning when came in the mail. But when i got back from the pride parade today she asked what it meant (i was like wtf why did you disapprove of it you didn't get it), so i told her and she flipped the fuck out and started yelling at me that it was inappropriate and that i shouldn't ever where it, and that i CANT where it in front of here. i kept trying to tell here its suppose to be funny but she just ended up getting all emotional and telling me its not funny and sexual things on shirt are evil (well she basically said they where evil).

So what do you thing, is my shirt evil? are sexual things on shirts evil? even if they are obscure like the one on mine?..... or is my mom just crazy? Personally i thing my mom is nuts and needs to shut the hell up.

You're 18, dude. I don't think she's allowed to dress you anymore. Don't wear it around her if it keeps her happy, but don't get rid of it or anything.

I concur. Beside, if you recognize the shirt has sexual innuendos you're not exactly innocent anymore, so its not like you'll hurt anyone by wearing it (you might get some weird looks, but hey, whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by Near View Post
    I concur. Beside, if you recognize the shirt has sexual innuendos you're not exactly innocent anymore, so its not like you'll hurt anyone by wearing it (you might get some weird looks, but hey, whatever).
    Yeah, I think that's a good way of putting it. Like most things, it all depends on the situation.

Going out to party with friends? Perfect time to wear the shirt. Being around people that you know are cool with it? Perfect time to wear the shirt.

But I think in some situations it wouldn't be a tactful shirt to wear. Everyone feels different, but I personally wouldn't want to wear a shirt like that if I was going to be interacting with kids or something like that. Even if they didn't understand what it meant, they might ask, and either I'd have to lie or I'd have to bring it up in an awkward conversation to have with kids, especially since they aren't my own.

But it's not uncommon for your mom to act like that....a lot of parents don't approve of things their kids do. Did she over-react? Yes, but I don't think she's crazy for it.

But that's the nice thing about moving out and not living with your parents...you're free to make your own choices.

While there's nothing intrinsically wrong with wearing a t-shirt that has sexual innuendos, there aren't many situations where wearing them is particularly tactful. Your Mom is expressing a general disgust which isn't so much incorrect as misguided in rationale.

For the same reasons one wouldn't go out in public with a shirt depicting brutalized puppies, wearing a shirt with blatant sexual innuendos isn't appropriate in many situations. Keep this in mind. Wearing images that are overtly offensive in public just because you can is, well, selfish, but when it wouldn't be inappropriate, then by all means go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    You're 18, dude. I don't think she's allowed to dress you anymore. Don't wear it around her if it keeps her happy, but don't get rid of it or anything.
    +1

Yeah, I used to wear T-shirts that were more blatantly offensive than that when I was in high school. Anybody else remember the "Big Johnson" T-shirt fad?

There is a time and a place for such apparel. I would suggest not wearing it around the mother, or in any work, educational or church situation..... But all of that is really your choice. Just remember that if you choose to wear it in an atmosphere where people might get offended, prepare to deal with and take responsibility for whatever consequences there might be.

Man, there is absolutely no innuendo in that shirt. It's obvious what it's about. Personally I don't get why you'd want to wear something that... In your face. Subtlety is way more effective imo.

I can understand why your Mum would not want you to wear the shirt around her. I don't know how comfortable she is about your sexuality, but wearing a shirt which reminds her every time she sees you might be a bit more than she can handle. Having said that, it's definitely not her right to tell you what to wear. Perhaps you should be a bit more discerning about when you wear it?

As to the appropriateness of potentially offensive shirts, my wardrobes full of them, but I don't wear some of the gnarlier ones to my grandparents house. There's a time and a place for that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    I'm going with this (I couldn't get the picture of the shirt to load though), you are an adult you can wear what you want. Obviously only wear it when appropriate and not where it could offend a lot of people.

Originally Posted by teddy564339

.......But that's the nice thing about moving out and not living with your parents...you're free to make your own choices.

this.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous kiba View Post
    Ok, I bought a t-shirt online from a guy who writes an amazing web comic I read. The pic on the shirt: http://www.liondogworks.com/store/heart.jpg. My mom didn't approve of it this morning when it came in the mail. When I got back from the pride parade today, she asked what it meant. (I was like wtf? Why did you disapprove of it, you didn't get it). So I told her and she flipped out and started yelling at me that it was inappropriate and that I shouldn't ever wear it, and that I CAN'T wear it in front of her. I kept trying to tell her it's suppose to be funny, but she just ended up getting all emotional and telling me it's not funny and sexual things on shirt are evil (well she basically said they where evil).

So what do you think, is my shirt evil? Are sexual things on shirts evil? Even if they are obscure like the one on mine?..... or is my mom just crazy? Personally, I think my mom is nuts and needs to shut the hell up.
    Not editing your post = evil!

Conclusion - Move out! Get into Adult Basic Ed!
    Last edited by Diapered Rabbit; 28-Jun-2010 at 16:50. Reason: merging double post