Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning java

Default Learning java

well yesterday my sisters bf gave me a memory stick that had 3 different book on it 1 about learning java, 1 about web design and the last it learning python

So right now i started reading about java and I find it so interesting even though I only just started. I mean Iam learning that its used in neerly everything to do with computers

But anyway iam just wondering if its hard to learn the whole thing like some people have told me. I just started reading so I haven't got into any big things yet

I'm in a Java course at my school(we have AP Java also), it's easy at first with the simple code like:

Code:
    public class TrivialApplication{
           public static void main(String args[]){
                 System.out.println("HELLO WORLD!");
         }
    }
    But once you get to the object oriented part....you have to stick it out, because it can and will get really confusing, but after that it's not that hard, learned arrays in about an hour...

I think you wanted String[] args, but close enough .

As for learning the whole language -- the language itself is fairly small and simple, so learning it shouldn't be too bad. Now, learning the entire API, that'd be silly. The Java API covers more things than you'd ever need yourself, but come in real handy when designing a specific type of application.

For instance, this past semester I took a course in cryptography where I found the message hash and digital signature classes quite handy.

What you want to do is know the core language plus the common API sections (e.g. java.util) and then be able to read the API docs (http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/). It may seem a little overwhelming now, but you'll learn to love it. That's one thing Sun is great for -- their documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    I think you wanted String[] args, but close enough .

As for learning the whole language -- the language itself is fairly small and simple, so learning it shouldn't be too bad. Now, learning the entire API, that'd be silly. The Java API covers more things than you'd ever need yourself, but come in real handy when designing a specific type of application.

For instance, this past semester I took a course in cryptography where I found the message hash and digital signature classes quite handy.

What you want to do is know the core language plus the common API sections (e.g. java.util) and then be able to read the API docs (http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/). It may seem a little overwhelming now, but you'll learn to love it. That's one thing Sun is great for -- their documentation.

Actually....for the past year I've been using
    Code:
    (String args[]){
    -_-

Does that even compile for you? If so, it's a new feature (?).

EDIT:

Well, I was curious so I looked it up. According to Sun's docs:

Similarly, you can declare arrays of other types:

byte[] anArrayOfBytes;
    short[] anArrayOfShorts;
    long[] anArrayOfLongs;
    float[] anArrayOfFloats;
    double[] anArrayOfDoubles;
    boolean[] anArrayOfBooleans;
    char[] anArrayOfChars;
    String[] anArrayOfStrings;

You can also place the square brackets after the array's name:

float anArrayOfFloats[]; // this form is discouraged

However, convention discourages this form; the brackets identify the array type and should appear with the type designation.
    ^ Learn something new every day I suppose.
    Last edited by chevre; 05-May-2008 at 10:39.

damn I got alot of learning to do =P gd thing iam not learning this in school so I got loads of time XD

lol,i wanna learn java and a whole lot of crypt-o-things
    see i know alot bout windows,still i wanna learn all the cmd commands off by heart so i dont needa always type /help lol.
    see i wanna learn to write viruses,and how to hack through firewalls,ect,ect all that jargan.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
    Lol who wouldn't want to know that mazza =P
    lol,maybe a coc-computer geek wouldt wanna know lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    lol,i wanna learn java and a whole lot of crypt-o-things
    see i know alot bout windows,still i wanna learn all the cmd commands off by heart so i dont needa always type /help lol.
    see i wanna learn to write viruses,and how to hack through firewalls,ect,ect all that jargan.
    Why do you want to learn hacking? To make yourself feel in control, to make yourself feel '1337'...seriously, it's not really that amazing....now on the other hand if you're like me and you want to learn so you can reverse engineer to make computers safer, fine....but seriously why write a virus? Unless you want to be one of the annoying 'hackers' who's version of a virus is a craptastic batch file

And chevre, yeah it compiles just fine, but I know what you're talking about, the older books have it set up as
    Code:
    (String[] args){
    Where as the new ones have it as
    Code:
    (String args[]){
    So it might be a new feature