Thread: Golden Age of Software Nostalgia

Default Golden Age of Software Nostalgia

So I'm quite the connoisseur of old PC games, other systems too but a lot are on a wide variety of platforms and for the most part PC was a real special moment back in the 90's. Everyone I think has one of these and I think it'd be cool if you shared the experience and why you thought you found the game so special. The software industry has changed so much and it truly is an industry now instead of people working out of the basement, literally. It's kind of disappointing because a lot of old games laid a special groundwork that we just don't see in these modern games--much like the movies, the big gaming companies want to cash a check and pushing a boundary or pioneering new ground only happens if it will cash in. So I find a lot of these old gems so special as the marketing budget would nearly be 0 compared to the quality game that was put out. Maybe there was a small flaw, usually a less than capable AI, that also dissuaded the public but I used to love walking into a computer school and seeing aisles and aisles of software where no two boxes were the same sitting side-by-side. I thought that was pretty cool.

I have so many favorites and I really could just add so much to this post but I'm try and favor one here, if only to eventually stop writingI stopped here for about 10 minutes thinking about this haha!)

Pro Pinball Timeshock! is probably one of my most favorite games in a genre that has some good simulated pinball games but the pro pinball series is literally the best when it comes to emulating the pinball experience on the PC. The thing that made my inner geek giggle was the fact it did a complete job. They went so far as to adjust the operator settings (such as reset high scores or # of balls to play or even do a burn-in like a real machine tester could do) you had to interact with the dot matrix display and work through menus exactly like a real pin. The ball mechanics are also great and having played so many of this genre where you couldn't have a multiball or the balls in a multiball had no physics and just ghosted through each other...a lot of them quickly make the experience a joke. Timeshock cashes in on everything you'd ever want and the game is themed just like a real pin would be and I can literally play for hours on end as it to me is as close to the arcade as you can get. (and i still go to the arcade too!) So anywho that's my spiel and if I come up with more or some other remarks about the Golden Age of Gaming prior to what I call the '3rd crash of video games' that is the growing wings that the gaming industry did in the last 10 years or so I will share them. I always thought these old games were cool and I recently replied to a post about art and I have to say that the interpretations of what people thought of genres and how they molded them into what they are today all comes out of this era. So call me horribly nostalgic but why not? These guys are mostly better than what's out there now!

Reading this reminded me of one of my favourite games; Day of the Tenticle. Absolutely fantastic to play either alone or in a group. Spent about three weeks worth of evenings working through the story, trying to figure out what to do next. Never got bored, always something to keep your brain going. I remember being amazed that all the characters spoke dialogue throughout because the game was on those new fangled CDROM's

No matter how swish the graphics are how clever the AI is doesn't always make for a good game.

Oh gosh, you guys make me feel SO young ^^. My golden age of gaming was back in the days of the NINTENDO 64!!!!, with Lego Racers (don't laugh, its the first console game I ever got and I have found memories of the damn Mario Kart clone), Mario Party 2, Paper Mario and Pokémon Puzzle League providing some of my best gaming memories. Paper Mario is especially significant for me since it helped me a lot with learning how to read English (not to mention it was damn awesome). I think that what we think of as the golden age of gaming tends to coincide with our own childhood (I still remember how great it felt when my parents finally gave in and allowed me to buy a 64).

There are also some *actual* old games I am quite found of. I got Super Mario Bros. 3 (well, Super Mario Bros. Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3) for the GBA years after it came out and, to this day, its one of my all time favorite game, and it all comes down to two thing: aw some level design and well executed gameplay. There is also Donkey Kong, that I discovered while playing Animal Crossing. Its a simple game, but it does its stuff perfectly and you just can't help but come back for more.

Oh, and I nearly forgot the game of my childhood: Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal. My first 100h+ game!

Epic Pinball I would play on my friend's Win3.1 box for hours! Still wonder what that "Turbo" button did though, hmm...
    Also had Commander Keen, Duke Nuke'em (2d), and some other classics.
    My current classics are from the Star Wars Collection DVD and Unreal Trilogy DVD that I bought from Target and Gamestop.
    Oh and here, Welcome to PINMAME

Epic Pinball I would play on my friend's Win3.1 box for hours! Still wonder what that "Turbo" button did though, hmm...
    Well it was used, it's alleged *best* use, was if you needed a different clock speed to run software. It's almost best described as a clock switch from hi/low for that matter as you gotta remember that various OS's software were incredibly picky (we're talking not just PC, but the apple series as well as amiga...didn't atari have one too) about the conditions their program ran. If you used it to speed things up it could work but "an eternity" versus "an eternity + 1" doesn't really feel much different to the human using it. Today, the turbo button isn't really around but in essence your computer has so many ways to "rev up" as needed which is a key reason why we don't see it anymore.

Oh I know all about pinmame, very cool stuff.

Did you know? The pinball game that came with windows xp is a Maxis "demo" of their 3d full tilt! pinball series? They gave you the space cadet game for free but there are two other machines (both of which for me play much harder), one called skulduggery and the other I think is some medieval adventure theme but the title escapes me right now.

Another good themed/licensed pinball is the "balls of steel" series. I recollected this since you mentioned duke nukem and that is one of the key selling points of this guy. It was made with probably the best design for physics and graphics that ran in DOS/windows as the physics are not timeshock quality but it's as close as anyone else got.

In animal crossing, did you mean Donkey Kong as in the arcade game? (which is awesome and furhaps the most unforgiving game of all time but I've found to be one of the most rewarding for the time you put into it) Donkey Kong Country for the SNES is another just awesome title. It's a shame that nintendo didn't want to pay the money for a game on the gamecube. There were rumours of a second diddy kongish racing game/another adventure/platformer style in the likes of DKC but this never happened and the fallout led to minor games on the DS. Donkey Kong Country (and Diddy Kong's + Dixie's, 2 and 3 respectively) is pretty cool because to actually find all the secrets and finish the game added a level of depth. It was really exciting when you found something you just didn't think was possible to find (you had to find bonus coins and hidden bonus levels in almost every level and some were nearly impossible to find!) and of course you got to ride an ostrich!

Super Mario RPG is also a surprisingly well done rpg. If I recall correctly it was right before the whole square/ENIX situation and afterward we don't see much for a while between the rpg people at square/enix and nintendo. (remember the first Final Fantasy movie? That's what lost some people a LOT of money despite all the boundaries it pushed)

One other random update of note is that apparently new CDRom drives can actually spin too fast and wreck your old CDs as they weren't meant for the high speeds apparently. I do not know how rare of an occurrence this is but I wouldn't be running my old CDs at 100x anyway hehe.

Ya, I meant Donkey Kong, the arcade game (well, the NES port of the arcade game, actually, so only 3 levels).

I'm a member of Abandonia, it's an online community and archive of old pc games for Ms-Dos. I've found some really fun ones. Most of them are for free too! You don't have to pay for membership. It's totally rad and nostalgic, since I played on my Dad's computer a lot when I was little. A couple of my personal favorites were the "Thinkin' Things" series and "Bailey's Bookhouse".