Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dummy/Pacifier to quit smoking

Default Dummy/Pacifier to quit smoking

So here's the thing. I smoke about 20 a day & have tried stopping in the past but I always start again. I don't think it's the nicotine so much as the having it in my mouth. However, since friday afternoon (now sunday afternoon) I have pretty much been in bed nappied & with my dummy. Only during saturday night when I got up for something to eat, a bath & to change my nappy did I think about smoking. So here's my question, does anyone now of any reports or papers or anything that suggests that dummys/pacifiers can help stop. I really want to stop & substitute them for my dummy because I know it will work but I can't do it without an excuse/proof. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySmoker View Post
    Good luck, for me it didnīt work.
    I guess you'd also need to change username in case of sucess, eh.

Anyway, the problem with your plan, dummysucker, is that the effect that the pacifier causes is very similar to the one caused by chewing gum or having a pick in your mouth. The idea is to keep your mouth busy, and there is a half dozen things that would work as well as a paci but not cause weird stares.
    On a side-note, here is how my mom stopped smocking: by always keeping her mouth squeaky clean. Basically, whenever she wanted to smoke she would go brush her teeth, and then she wouldn't want to dirty her mouth.

Thank's Near. I was thinking more of doing it while at home (I forgot to mention that I've been at home on my own this weekend). I don't think I'd want to be at the bar & when everyone else lights up I put my dummy in! haha

Quote Originally Posted by dummysucker View Post
    Thank's Near. I was thinking more of doing it while at home (I forgot to mention that I've been at home on my own this weekend). I don't think I'd want to be at the bar & when everyone else lights up I put my dummy in! haha
    Only one wish of madness. But sounds really good. This world is so intolerant to leave you live as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by dummysucker View Post
    Keeping something in your mouth when trying to stop smoking helps some people, so I say go for it while at home. Its not like you won't enjoy it anyway ^^.

Apparently sucking on something can help some people. There's even a product based on this... basically an adult pacifier, minus the guard: LIFESUCKER.COM. And it comes in different flavors.

LilLillyKitten

Obviously a large part of smoking for you is both boredom and an oral fixation... a paci/dummy would definitely satisfy the oral fixation aspect, at least.

So would anything else that was akin to smoking: sucking on candy, for instance.

The only thing I can remember is that Liz Hurley tried it years ago.

A quick Google turned up this; Liz Hurley sucks to stop smoking

*edit*
    The article also mentions a book and it's author, perhaps, if you could get hold of it, it could give you the justification you're looking for?

I wouldn't think so, I do both and get a different feeling of satisfaction. It might work as a distraction from wanting to smoke if you're imaginative enough. (:

Oh and the Liz Hurley picture at the bottom of that page is love. <3