Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Father's Day!!

Default Happy Father's Day!!

Ok, since I seem to be the person who makes all these posts reminding everyone when the 'important' dates are, I suppose I'd better make one for father's day!

Don't go forgetting! It's on SUNDAY!

What are you getting your father? Got any good ideas for anyone?

I'm sending him a card, which will arrive tomorrow, with a note inside saying I'm bringing his present accross to him on Monday. And on Monday I'm taking him a nice selection of beers from a fancy shop.

Peachy

There's no official "Father's Day" in this country, but men have adopted Ascension Day as an unofficial Father's Day . Tradition calls for the male population to load a hand-drawn trolley full of beer or other booze and then go out into the countryside/wilderness to get totally plastered, so I guess the best gifts would be either a hand-drawn trolley or a few crates of beer. So "Father's Day" here was on May 13th, and I didn't load beer crates into a trolley but old people (grandfather+partner) into a car and drove out into the wilderness (the mountains)...sober, mind you! There wasn't anything I could have gotten my dad other than a few new flowers for the cemetery though.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Tradition calls for the male population to load a hand-drawn trolley full of beer or other booze and then go out into the countryside/wilderness to get totally plastered, so I guess the best gifts would be either a hand-drawn trolley or a few crates of beer.
    Peachy, I'll be your dad next year if you want to uphold tradition!

DominatingMommy

I'm framing a picture for my father, because he complains that he never has pictures of me. So, I'm framing one of me in front of Cinderella's castle.

As for what I'll get Daddy...I can't say here. :P

Tradition calls for the male population to load a hand-drawn trolley full of beer or other booze and then go out into the countryside/wilderness to get totally plastered, so I guess the best gifts would be either a hand-drawn trolley or a few crates of beer.
    WOW that's a much better tradition then buying your father a tie, we need to have that here. Also Peachy, is that an universal tradition in Germany or is it specific to your region of Germany?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by babymace View Post
    WOW that's a much better tradition then buying your father a tie, we need to have that here. Also Peachy, is that an universal tradition in Germany or is it specific to your region of Germany?
    The going drinking in nature-thing is a universal thing, although in some conservative catholic/Christian villages, people may actually celebrate Ascension Day as a religious holiday, which wouldn't work when you're lying plastered in a roadside ditch.

i am going to take my father golfing and then threw a bbq it will be a blast yay

Tradition calls for the male population to load a hand-drawn trolley full of beer or other booze and then go out into the countryside/wilderness to get totally plastered
    thats how we celebrate mothers day in our family (minus the trolley and the wilderness)

This is the first fathers day that I'll be dreading. I don't know my father... so I have always gotten and made stuff for my grandfather, which made sense since he spent just as much time with me as my mom did when I was growing up. I had gifts picked out, and plans for brunch on Sunday, but he passed away Tuesday morning. My weekend will be spent attending his funeral, and balling my face off until I can't anymore. I'm pretty sure I'm basically going to hate fathers day for the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    This is the first fathers day that I'll be dreading. I don't know my father... so I have always gotten and made stuff for my grandfather, which made sense since he spent just as much time with me as my mom did when I was growing up. I had gifts picked out, and plans for brunch on Sunday, but he passed away Tuesday morning. My weekend will be spent attending his funeral, and balling my face off until I can't anymore. I'm pretty sure I'm basically going to hate fathers day for the rest of my life.
    sorry to hear that your grandfather died, but I have a idea, once the grief subsides (however long it takes), maybe next fathers days (or one down the road), maybe you could celebrate fathers day by doing something in his memory, a happy celebration inorder to still honor him as a father