Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Create Your Bible

Default Create Your Bible

Let's say that you wanted to form your own religion because the other religions... well... don't exactly subscribe to your way of thinking. The first thing you want to do is to create your own sacred doctrine, your own bible with canon and plenty of parables. What kind of fundamental rules would you add to your own bible?

Here's another way to look at it...

How would your doctrine be different than the Christian Bible? Jewish Torah? The Islamic Koran? The teachings of Gautama Buddha?

GaashaHuzzah

Sounds like a cultist idea, but I'll go with it. I'll get some commandments out of the way now.

I. Don't be a dick.

II. If you see someone in need of help, just help them.

III. No one said you had to stay in this religion.

IV. Respect your fellow man. That means you, Southern United States.

I think that covers just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetPaw View Post
    Let's say that you wanted to form your own religion because the other religions... well... don't exactly subscribe to your way of thinking. The first thing you want to do is to create your own sacred doctrine, your own bible with canon and plenty of parables. What kind of fundamental rules would you add to your own bible?

Here's another way to look at it...

How would your doctrine be different than the Christian Bible? Jewish Torah? The Islamic Koran? The teachings of Gautama Buddha?
    This is, for me, already done. It starts in Lao Tzu's teachings about Taoism and culminates in Great Doubt.

The gist is this: do not believe anything without experience. Not even this.

I frankly find it difficult to trust items, positions, and people who do not say, "this is Truth as I have found it. Go forward and explore; if I'm wrong, I want to know. I lay my view out here for examination. It is carefully considered, I believe it correct, but it may not be."

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I frankly find it difficult to trust items, positions, and people who do not say, "this is Truth as I have found it. Go forward and explore; if I'm wrong, I want to know. I lay my view out here for examination. It is carefully considered, I believe it correct, but it may not be."
    Amen to that! Any religious ideology claiming they have the definitive explanation of Life, the Universe and Everything belongs under the fiction section of my library. Without going into an entire speil of life-rules, one major factor would be not just encouraging, but firmly preaching the absolute need for the active and ongoing search for knowledge; with views and ideas changed based on relevant hard evidence (just like our greatest religion of all, SCIENCE). Delving into philisophical thereom of things like Cartesian Dualism to the ancient Taosim (as suggested above) with an analytical mind, this is the way forward, this is the way to logical and true understanding, pure knowledge, and were not going to progress without it...

Butterfly Mage

I think Wicca says it best:

Have perfect love and perfect trust. Fairly take and fairly give. Live and let live. If it harms none, do as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    Sounds like a cultist idea, but I'll go with it. I'll get some commandments out of the way now.

I. Don't be a dick.

II. If you see someone in need of help, just help them.

III. No one said you had to stay in this religion.

IV. Respect your fellow man. That means you, Southern United States.

I think that covers just about everything.

my religion?
    unimaginatively, borrows elements from my current one, he greek church

but i add a particular aspect i heard xisted in bali, where they cook a pigon a spit and then carry it to the temple.
    as rick stein said, its nearly like a religious ceremony, if they had one of these at church id be there every snday.

anjd thats what mine revolves around, alot of the ACTIONS of the eary christians and the last supper, sort of like a weekly mass thanksgiving in a sense, all are welcome, including and especially the poor (though if you have a disease thats contagious, sorry, but i REALLY dont want you getting the WHOLEbunch sick at once, in that case, a serve will be set aside or placed in a thermos case, and given to them.
    beginning with a sermonessentially, a reflection of their thinking of the world, and the human condition.
    and borrowing from a gag during highschool about the fabled spear of destny, 'if the greeks got it theyd use it as a lamb spit, (with image of walking into a greek cathedral with a lamb turning down the front , being held by the spear'
    my'chuch' will have that eact image, the cooking spt will resemble a spear.

ideals,

controversially, YES polgamy is allowed ONLY if the man has demonstrated he has the means, and the emotional capacity to care for more than one wife equally. (borrowed from islam)
    no marring people less than 17, no matteryour own age (responsibilityis , on males mostly to do the right thing, not saying women dont) if they feel theye to be the strong ones, the macho ones, then they ghave to earn it by caring for and protecting others.
    girls, even if they are gay, or feel theyr body doesnt match their mind, so be it.
    girls who bcome mothersmust sear to, and sign, that they will do what they can toraise their hild in a manner that will make the people as a whole, a more peaceful, and managable place o live.

essentially, mne is about pace to others, the way of not casing undue fuss, and humility.
    you can wear whatever you want on your head as long as your face is visible.
    traiits who honor this 'church' are those who act to search, an understand.
    that EACH has their own spark theyre own light, in here *the brain, and here (the heart) all creatures and humans,

if youkill a creature. unduly, for a purpose that was not in the intention of helping ourworld forward. should mak up for it in some way, (ill come up with a list later
    Last edited by the0silent0alchemist; 17-Jun-2010 at 15:04.

LilLillyKitten

...and then God said: "Thou shalt not commit adultry with thine porcelain thrown in the midst of thy beloved poppy dipperz..."

If this topic has been discussed already, then let me add another wrinkle to it.

How would you want your doctrine to be incorporated in people's everyday lives? Would you establish a Church? Would you promote your beliefs aggressively or passively?

Kratos

1) Thou shalt respect thy fellow (wo)man. No matter how different they might be.
    2) Thou shalt not try to convert anyone to this religion. They will join of their on will.
    3) Thou shalt not be a bad (wo)man. Just be nice.
    4) Thou shalt help thy fellow (wo)man. See someone having a heart attack? Call 911. For more info see 3.
    5) Thou shalt not have to be this religion. Thou are free to choose your own religion.
    6) Thou shalt change things for the better, and not the worse.
    7) Thou shalt look for ways to better thyself. While not forcing thyself to change.
    8) Thou shalt live life to the fullest. This means thou are not binded by these commandments. These are just recommendations to be a good person. For more info see 3.
    9) Thou shalt not discriminate. This means you.
    10) Thou shalt realize there is no heaven, hell, or reincarnation. Just nothing. Deal with it. If you can't just leave the religion.

GaashaHuzzah

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    1) Thou shalt respect thy fellow (wo)man. No matter how different they might be.
    2) Thou shalt not try to convert anyone to this religion. They will join of their on will.
    3) Thou shalt not be a bad (wo)man. Just be nice.
    4) Thou shalt help thy fellow (wo)man. See someone having a heart attack? Call 911. For more info see 3.
    5) Thou shalt not have to be this religion. Thou are free to choose your own religion.
    6) Thou shalt change things for the better, and not the worse.
    7) Thou shalt look for ways to better thyself. While not forcing thyself to change.
    8) Thou shalt live life to the fullest. This means thou are not binded by these commandments. These are just recommendations to be a good person. For more info see 3.
    9) Thou shalt not discriminate. This means you Southern United States.
    10) Thou shalt realize there is no heaven, hell, or reincarnation. Just nothing. Deal with it. If you can't just leave the religion.
    You totally stole 9 D: