Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matter of Life and Death

Default Matter of Life and Death

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
    It is. It solves a problem, but only causes more trouble and pain. It's really not worth it. It may make you "happy," but it hurts everyone else. When I was in the hospital, one of the nurses told me about a girl who tried to kill herself via a gunshot to the head. It didn't kill her. She's spending the rest of her life in a wheelchair, unable to do anything at all. I'm sure this isn't what she wanted. No one wants to spend his/her life in a vegetative state.
    Hehe, that's what Frantz de Galais did... but he's a colossal douche... and fictional. He also fully recovered, but I still think he ruined Meaulnes' life.

If someone is going to be a vegetable for life I say they might as well be offed. Who would WANT to be kept alive as a vegetable?

For the suicide thing, maybe it was just me, but I tended to sleep... a lot. Like 16 hours a day when I was depressed, sometimes more. Anything to make time pass as fast as it could. I would state that as a symptom. (I may have missed it reading through, but I don't recall seeing it)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Hehe, that's what Frantz de Galais did... but he's a colossal douche... and fictional. He also fully recovered, but I still think he ruined Meaulnes' life.

If someone is going to be a vegetable for life I say they might as well be offed. Who would WANT to be kept alive as a vegetable?
    I have to disagree with that. No one deserves to be killed because of a disability. Things happen for a reason.

For the suicide thing, maybe it was just me, but I tended to sleep... a lot. Like 16 hours a day when I was depressed, sometimes more. Anything to make time pass as fast as it could. I would state that as a symptom. (I may have missed it reading through, but I don't recall seeing it)
    That's true. One of the signs of depression is excess sleep or lethargy.

I have to disagree with that. No one deserves to be killed because of a disability. Things happen for a reason.
    Everyone I've ever talked to has said "If I'm a vegetable, pull the plug."

Disability is an understatement. A vegetable is just a body laying there and doing nothing.

GaashaHuzzah

Disability is an understatement. A vegetable is just a body laying there and doing nothing.
    Technically it is a disability, it's disabling you from doing... well anything besides live, really.

Quote Originally Posted by GaashaHuzzah View Post
    Technically it is a disability, it's disabling you from doing... well anything besides live, really.
    While it is a disability by definition, there is MUCH more to it. Being alive for the sake of living is a waste of resources, imo.

GaashaHuzzah

While it is a disability by definition, there is MUCH more to it. Being alive for the sake of living is a waste of resources, imo.
    Well, I would get into the moral side of things what with the heavily assisted living and whatnot, but we can do that in PM and not derail the thread anymore.

I actually have medical power of attorney over a friend of mine for this very reason.

She says she cannot depend on her husband or family to do what she wants in this case--no heroic measures, just pull the damn plug.

I hope that I never have to go there. If so, I think I'd wait 3 days and then call it. I'd go in every day and sit with her, trying to get her to come out of it. On the last day, I'd have to go it alone, and it would be horrible.

I guess the moral of the story is this: it sometimes sucks being seen as a rational and logical friend. In this case, I am bound to do right by her, but it would tear my heart out to do so.

Default Matter of Life and Death

The subject popped up in the thread on Suicide and it seemed like questions of under what conditions should life be preserved (or not), when is no longer worth living, or what preparations might be prudent could be a fertile topic for discussion all on its own. Relocated posts are above.

For me, I'd be open to hanging around as long as I were still "me". Obviously, I'd prefer to be up and around and able to interact physically but while not being able to do that would be awful, I'd still be me without it. I'd have little compunction about plug pulling if I was no longer consciously present but a loss of ability to interact with the world (say complete sensory deprivation) would pretty hard to take even if my mind were intact. Luckily, most conditions where I was still in control of my faculties would allow me to evaluate my situation at that point and my family is aware of my feelings about persistent vegetative states.

Mako

There are two situations where I condone ending life. First is the persistent vegetative state, and the second is when one has a physical illness where life becomes excrutiatingly painful with no hope of recovery.

As for myself, if I were in a persistent vegetative state like many others here, if it's sure that I'll never regain function, pull the plug. I'd rather not be a burden on my friends, family and the tax payer. I always found it intriguing for those who say they would never pull the plug under any circumstance. I understand the whole fear of death thing, but I never quite think they actually contemplate what being in a vegetative state would be.

I guess someone should have told Jonas Salk that Polio happened for a reason. What reason? Who knows? What does that imply? Who knows? If it even exists, Is it a good reason? Who knows? But it's vague, and arguing with vagueness means arguing against everything.

I totally support the right to kill vegetables, but I don't know about me. A lifetime on morphine and cartoons sounds awesome. Unless it costs a lot. If you do kill me, make it ether really dignified or hilarious. dress me up in a bad ass trench coat and make me stand up on a rollercoaster or something.