Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Diapers Became the Norm

Default If Diapers Became the Norm

I was wondering how much of this fetish is about the object/feelings, and how much of it is about the fact that wearing diapers past infancy is "forbidden" by mainstream society. For me, it is a mix of both. The fact that I'm doing something that "I'm not supposed to" gets me excited. So that lead me to asking myself this question: If wearing diapers suddenly became a common and accepted thing in mainstream society, would that make being a DL less exciting/rewarding? The weird thing is, as much as I wish that I wouldn't be looked down on for wearing diapers, I also would not want everyone else wearing them, because that would make me less special/unique. Does this make sense?

Perhaps. I won't say there's not a rush to going into a drugstore or supermarket and buying a pack of diapers (adult). But for me, that's purely exhibitionism. I get no such rush when I use them in the privacy of my own home or order them online. So if adults using diapers for whatever purpose became a "normal" (even if not commonplace) thing, I would lose the exhibitionist thrill. But since I don't get that from simply using them, that would stay relatively the same for me. Perhaps I'd even wear them more often, because there would be less mental stigma attached to having to clean up and dispose of them after use.

I see where you're coming from with liking the fact that you're an individual, but I can't say I agree for my circumstances. If adult diaper use were more mainstream, it would be easier to find a mate who's into diapers or at least accepting of them. And I'm not convinced that you're thrill of the forbidden is fundamentally different from the thrill I get from exhibitionism. In that vein, I go/have gone to nude beaches. When I do so, I love the thrill of knowing other people can see me naked. I've never exposed myself to unwilling viewers, so I can't compare the two. However, I can say that as far as these thrills go, all remains relative. Even if diaper use by adults were more commonplace, I don't think it would make it any less of something you're "not supposed to do." Take BDSM. I enjoy light bondage (restraints, etc.). I would definitely call light bondage a mainstream sexual practice in my generation- most people are aware of it, and of them, those not into it tend to be mostly accepting of it, just not interested in participating. That said, I have a definite sense of exploring the forbidden when I'm being restrained for sexual purposes, even though I consider the practice to be pretty mainstream.

So BDSM is something I consider to be mainstream (though perhaps not commonplace), yet still "forbidden." Let's take another example to drive the point home. If I told you there were a sexual practice that between 5-10% of all Americans partook in at some point in their lives, would you call that mainstream? While I still wouldn't use the term commonplace, I think knowing the 5-10% is enough to call a practice somewhat mainstream. I like ice hockey. I would call liking ice hockey a mainstream identification among Americans, and I guarantee the number of people in this country who have followed or played hockey at some point in their lives is way lower than that threshold.

But back to my point: 5-10% of a group of people indulging in a practice is enough to constitute it as a mainstream practice. The practice I'm referring to in this case is bestiality. Alfred Kinsey's landmark studies on the sexual histories of men and women found that 8% of all men and 4% of all women (for 6% of people overall) reported having had a sexual experience with an animal at some point in their lives. And that was just the reported number. While Kinsey and his researchers were renowned for getting interviewees to open up about things they'd never told anyone previously, when asking people to disclose embarrassing sexual practices, the reported rate will always undervalue the actual rate of occurrence. So numerically, bestiality is a somewhat mainstream practice. Yet I would in no way say that as a practice it's lacking in the sense of being forbidden or taboo.

So like I said, just because a practice is mainstreamed doesn't mean you can't engage in it without a sense of the forbidden. The sense of the forbidden is something that lives entirely in your own perceptions. If you're having some trouble with that, take being gay. Plenty of people are BLG-identified and have no sense of it being forbidden. If you were raised by liberal parents who educate their kids about BLG-identities and that they're alright from an early age- and I know plenty such families in my church- it's going to feel entirely natural and right for you to have affectionate and sexual feelings for members of your own gender if that's how you so identify. But that's not universal. If you were raised in a Mormon family, I think the word forbidden, all caps and boldfaced, is going to be chained to your burgeoning sexual feelings for someone of your own sex. Perception is everything.
    Last edited by AEsahaettr; 10-Jun-2010 at 13:39.

Butterfly Mage

I think a certain amount of the fetishism would decrease. To use an analogy: the thrill of drinking a beer faded significantly and quickly after I turned 21 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsAndLeaves View Post
    I was wondering how much of this fetish is about the object/feelings, and how much of it is about the fact that wearing diapers past infancy is "forbidden" by mainstream society. For me, it is a mix of both. The fact that I'm doing something that "I'm not supposed to" gets me excited. So that lead me to asking myself this question: If wearing diapers suddenly became a common and accepted thing in mainstream society, would that make being a DL less exciting/rewarding? The weird thing is, as much as I wish that I wouldn't be looked down on for wearing diapers, I also would not want everyone else wearing them, because that would make me less special/unique. Does this make sense?
    I have pondered the same thing myself. I have done this with other things in my life & the answer for them was yes, the excitement went away. I am at a cross road now with getting my wife to accept me for who I am & be comfortable with it. She started out fine with the idea but quickly changed her thoughts so I sorta went back into hiding with them. Not sure if this is keeping the thrill alive or not. I do wish I could be more relaxed at home with them but on the other hand I don't want the thrill to go away ether :/

Hmm. Well with regard to the whole "forbidden" bit, I'd MUCH rather it be mainstream, or at least widely understood and accepted. Honestly, I don't need anything to make my life more difficult, and if I could just be open and honest with all of my friends and family, that would be a dream come true. But with regard to everyone wearing diapers, that would bother me, first because diapers aren't the most eco-friendly manner of waste management, and second because that would make public restrooms (or rather, public changing rooms) SO much more awkward. Ew, I'd imagine that stalls would have changing tables, and the thought of public changing tables grosses me out.

June

I would probably be baffled, if anything. I couldn't see this becoming normal among society. It would probably forever damage the *b/dl community I have known so well. If everybody was doing it, where would that leave us? Sure, we would be more accepted, but now we're just...normal.

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageToddler View Post
    I would probably be baffled, if anything. I couldn't see this becoming normal among society. It would probably forever damage the *b/dl community I have known so well. If everybody was doing it, where would that leave us? Sure, we would be more accepted, but now we're just...normal.
    You make that sound like a bad thing. Defying the flow of society is not inherently a good thing. It is encouraged when society gets in the way of following your deepest desires, but discretion is also advised. If the average person began wearing diapers for whatever reason, I would feel more comfortable and happy that other people are enjoying my interests, and not disheartened that there are suddenly a million Tiggers out there.

Spearmint

It would be the same for me, simply because i am not an exhibitionist.

BernardFx

Here's a similar thread that I started.
    http://www.adisc.org/forum/adult-bab...-okay-how.html

Here's an example from the thread:

Suppose you have a collectors item, a very rare prop. Not many people are even aware that such article exists, but feel very satisfied at owning it.
    Know, think: What if everyone in the planet had that same collectors item? It definitely wouldn't feel the same.

I think we would all be here complaining about the stinky people who were way past due for a diaper change! I imagine that it wouldnt be so much fun anymore, if we all had to deal with being around everyone else wearing diapers. I once worked at a nursing home, and the stench of dirty diapers never went away. I was happy for fresh air each day after work. I imagine that this is what most places would smell like if diapers were the norm.