Thread: Painting Question

Default Painting Question

I am looking to paint the bottom of my thompson boat a new color. The old color is a Interlux black bottom paint. I want to paint it a new color, but the new one will not be bottom paint, just regular hull paint. If I want to so this, can I paint over the old black with the new color(new color is lauderdale blue)? Or will I have to put on a primer first? If I have to do primer first, can it just be a regular wall primer, or does it have to be marine?

This may not be the best place to get help for this, but I will give it a shot, so any boaters here...this one is for you!

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I am looking to paint the bottom of my thompson boat a new color. The old color is a Interlux black bottom paint. I want to paint it a new color, but the new one will not be bottom paint, just regular hull paint. If I want to so this, can I paint over the old black with the new color(new color is lauderdale blue)? Or will I have to put on a primer first? If I have to do primer first, can it just be a regular wall primer, or does it have to be marine?

This may not be the best place to get help for this, but I will give it a shot, so any boaters here...this one is for you!
    I'm not on a boat, but I'd strip down to metal, sand, paint with marine primer, lightly sand, coat again with marine primer, then start with the topcoats.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I'm not on a boat, but I'd strip down to metal, sand, paint with marine primer, lightly sand, coat again with marine primer, then start with the topcoats.
    I should have included that it is a wood boat, lol sorry. But thanks for the advices.

I grew up on Barnegat Bay and worked in a boat yard as a child, so maybe I can help. I'm guessing your boat is on fresh water, not salt? I still would be concerned about not having the proper protection from borers, worms, etc, so I think a marine bottom paint is absolutely essential. You certainly can change colors without using a primer, but it might take two coats, and marine bottom paint is expensive. If you scrape the old paint off, I would think one would work because marine paint is thick stuff. Remember, because your boat is wood, marine protecting bottom paint is essential. They used to have copper in them and I wouldn't be surprised if they still do. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I grew up on Barnegat Bay and worked in a boat yard as a child, so maybe I can help. I'm guessing your boat is on fresh water, not salt? I still would be concerned about not having the proper protection from borers, worms, etc, so I think a marine bottom paint is absolutely essential. You certainly can change colors without using a primer, but it might take two coats, and marine bottom paint is expensive. If you scrape the old paint off, I would think one would work because marine paint is thick stuff. Remember, because your boat is wood, marine protecting bottom paint is essential. They used to have copper in them and I wouldn't be surprised if they still do. Good luck.
    I dont think I need marine bottom paint, since my boat is on a hoist all the time, so I have been told by other boat experts that bottom paint is not essential.

Ah...that is different. I would still use a marine paint since the water can be hard on wood, but you wouldn't have to use a bottom protective paint. At this point, ask the guy in the store. If you're going to use a dark blue, I feel it will cover the black,but if you're going to a light blue, you may have to use a primer.

Stripping it is best, but if its not peeling and your not going to keep the boat too much longer. Paint over it and use OIL BASED paint. Could take two coats if the color of your choice is lighter.
    Last edited by modeltoy1; 21-Jun-2010 at 19:04. Reason: Added a tip