Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how is the oil spill affecting you

Unhappy how is the oil spill affecting you

i live in florida right next to it and thats all my teachers, news people, some friends are talking about i personaly feel that this was bound to happen eventualy and i heard that it will be empty by christmas i will miss having seafood :'(

you're seafood intake will barely change since only a small portion of the gulf is closed, and its not like they wont seal it in the next week or two. Bp has already made progress. Don't let those life-hating mongrels around you tell you that BP and the government are responsible and should suffer! good people get into car accidents all the time and no one wishes them to suffer or blames the government!

Quote Originally Posted by arclord View Post
    i will miss having seafood :'(
    heh. I think this oil spill has less of an impact then the Louisiana dead zone caused by all the nitrogen from farms washing down the missisipi and into the gulf. You should probably worry about that more.

My sister might be getting a job because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by handfulofoats View Post
    you're seafood intake will barely change since only a small portion of the gulf is closed, and its not like they wont seal it in the next week or two. Bp has already made progress. Don't let those life-hating mongrels around you tell you that BP and the government are responsible and should suffer! good people get into car accidents all the time and no one wishes them to suffer or blames the government!
    Okay.... What?! Are you serious? It is completely BP & the government's fault. BP went the cheap way to save money. (Though now it seems they're going to pay for their mistakes.) They sacrificed safety. This oil spill may have never happened if all the safeguards were present, but sadly they were not. The government is partially to blame for not requiring the safeguards, but I think this administration probably isn't to blame for that. They aren't the ones that allowed BP to ignore safeguards that should have been installed.

Also, how do you know they will seal it in the next week or two? Did I mention that BP is being deceptive with the details? Proprietary secrets or some crap like that. Let's not forget the millions of dollars they spent on PR to try to make themselves look good. That money could have been spent to help with cleanup or something. Let's also remember that people died as a result of this disaster. Those people didn't have to die.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Okay.... What?! Are you serious? It is completely BP & the government's fault. BP went the cheap way to save money. (Though now it seems they're going to pay for their mistakes.) They sacrificed safety. This oil spill may have never happened if all the safeguards were present, but sadly they were not. The government is partially to blame for not requiring the safeguards, but I think this administration probably isn't to blame for that. They aren't the ones that allowed BP to ignore safeguards that should have been installed.
    You know what, if people used the best quality material on cars, cars would be a lot more expensive, more safe, and yes, probably more environmentally friendly. Why doesn't the car companies fix the problem? Why aren't we bitching about governments failing everyone? This was just a tragic accident that took the life of 11 people and potentially thousands of animals. The lasting effect is negligible. Also, I want to know where you're getting you're info, since no reputable news source (not fox news) is reporting what you're saying. Sure, they blame BP, but they also say that BP and the government are getting unfair rap, which is true.

Quote Originally Posted by ShippoFox View Post
    Also, how do you know they will seal it in the next week or two? Did I mention that BP is being deceptive with the details? Proprietary secrets or some crap like that. Let's not forget the millions of dollars they spent on PR to try to make themselves look good. That money could have been spent to help with cleanup or something. Let's also remember that people died as a result of this disaster. Those people didn't have to die.
    re
    Conspiracy theorists have been citing crap like that about the government since the beginning on civilization, so it doesn't surprise me that you'd question the progress of sealing the well. thankfully there is a live-feed being broadcast on several sites, including CNN. When they say something, its as easy as going onto CNN and seeing if they're lying about it. As for sealing the leak, they probably wont actually seal it, but they're already slowing the spill down with the collection cap, and it can only get better from there.

$500K device may have prevented oil spill
    Leaking Oil Well Lacked Safeguard Device - WSJ.com

No Fox news because Fox news sucks. What in the world would make you think I care what they have to say?

BP Oil Spill: After Oil Rig Blast, BP Refused to Share Underwater Spill Footage - ABC News

and

Gulf oil leak may be bigger than BP says - Yahoo! News
    yahoo is not a conspiracy theorist

Quote Originally Posted by handfulofoats View Post
    Conspiracy theorists have been citing crap like that about the government since the beginning on civilization, so it doesn't surprise me that you'd question the progress of sealing the well.
    What exactly are you trying to say? I did not mention any conspiracies. I just said BP isn't the group of angels you're trying to make them out to be. Why are you so sympathetic to them?

One more article....
    http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/07...ng-100000.html

A team of experts from government science agencies and universities estimated last week that at a minimum 12,000 to 25,000 barrels a day were flowing from the well, but the team declined to estimate an upper end for the flow because the information they received from BP was inadequate.

Leifer, who is described in the flow rate's preliminary report released last week as a "world-renowned researcher" who has published more than 60 scientific articles, said BP still has not delivered the data scientists need for an accurate appraisal of the spill's size.

"We're still waiting," he said.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 09-Jun-2010 at 06:21.

i'm sympathizing because BP has already spent more than they're LEGALLY obligated to. They're about cleaning this mess up, and the American people still want to slaughter them. I just want people to know the facts. what you say is right: BP might be a bit misleading, but ALL news sources are exaggerating truths as well. This is why we cannot trust any source but the coast gaurd, which says clean up is going well, environmental damage is going to be minimal in the long run, and BP is paying money to legitimate claims.

As for you're $500k device, no company is perfect and nearly every company out there cuts corners. If you want to pay 9 dollars a gallon, I'm with you! let's ring those bastards out and bike to work. hoorah! the point is, BP is fixing the problem transparently.

but lets stop before someone gets offended, you believe what you want and i'll believe what i want. otherwise if it goes on, i can just delete my posts if that'll help. :-p i know its hard to not post a rebuttal so i promise i wont respond to what you have to say. guh bye

I still don't quite agree with your sympathy toward them. You are right about one thing though... there is no point in arguing about it. I think that's why I just avoid debate lately. People have their opinions and those opinions aren't likely to change.

Butterfly Mage

It has given me stress. Ecology is part of my religion. I feel outraged in a manner that a Catholic might if BP pumped millions of gallons of oil atop the Vatican. I have boycotted BP.