Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McDonald has recalled over 12 million Shrek Glasses

Default McDonald has recalled over 12 million Shrek Glasses

Yesterday night when I went into I work I had been told that we where NOT to sell ANY shrek glasses what so ever. And that if a news reporter showed up to ask questions we where not to say anything.

After doing some digging I have found that they have been recalled because the paint used on the desinges contains toxic chemical called cadmium which can cause long term health effects including respiratory and kidney problems.

From wkikpedia

Toxicity
    Main article: Cadmium poisoning

Cadmium poisoning is an occupational hazard associated with industrial processes such as metal plating and the production of nickel-cadmium batteries, pigments, plastics, and other synthetics. The primary route of exposure in industrial settings is inhalation. Inhalation of cadmium-containing fumes can result initially in metal fume fever but may progress to chemical pneumonitis, pulmonary edema, and death.[29]

Cadmium is also a potential environmental hazard. Human exposures to environmental cadmium are primarily the result of the burning of fossil fuels and municipal wastes.[30] However, there have been notable instances of toxicity as the result of long-term exposure to cadmium in contaminated food and water. In the decades leading up to World War II, Japanese mining operations contaminated the Jinzu River with cadmium and traces of other toxic metals. As a consequence, cadmium accumulated in the rice crops growing along the riverbanks downstream of the mines. The local agricultural communities consuming the contaminated rice developed Itai-itai disease and renal abnormalities, including proteinuria and glucosuria.[31] Cadmium is one of six substances banned by the European Union's Restriction on Hazardous Substances (RoHS) directive, which bans certain hazardous substances in electronics.

Cadmium and several cadmium-containing compounds are known carcinogens and can induce many types of cancer.[32]

Research has found that cadmium toxicity may be carried into the body by zinc binding proteins; in particular, proteins that contain zinc finger protein structures. Zinc and cadmium are in the same group on the periodic table, contain the same common oxidation state (+2), and when ionized are almost the same size. Due to these similarities, cadmium can replace zinc in many biological systems, in particular, systems that contain softer ligands such as sulfur. Cadmium can bind up to ten times more strongly than zinc in certain biological systems, and is notoriously difficult to remove. In addition, cadmium can replace magnesium and calcium in certain biological systems, although these replacements are rare.

Tobacco smoking is the most important single source of cadmium exposure in the general population. It has been estimated that about 10% of the cadmium content of a cigarette is inhaled through smoking. The absorption of cadmium from the lungs is much more effective than that from the gut, and as much as 50% of the cadmium inhaled via cigarette smoke may be absorbed.[33]

On average, smokers have 4-5 times higher blood cadmium concentrations and 2-3 times higher kidney cadmium concentrations than non-smokers. Despite the high cadmium content in cigarette smoke, there seems to be little exposure to cadmium from passive smoking. No significant effect on blood cadmium concentrations could be detected in children exposed to environmental tobacco smoke.[34]

Immediate recall on over 12 million McDonald's

Cadmium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I had a set of those I would keep them becuase if they were recalled they would be some big money down the road.

LilLillyKitten

But they contain a toxic metal...

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    Yes but if your a collector they will never come out of the package so the commicals shouldn't be a problem.

LilLillyKitten

Doesn't sound like something I'd want to keep around, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    A toxic metal that won't really do much unless aerosolised or otherwise transported to inside the body. This is unlikely to happen unless you do it intentionally. The issue with the McDonald's recall is that these glasses are likely to be handled by small children who have a tendency to put everything in their mouths, and since it's the paint that contains the cadmium, they're likely to be consuming a small amount of it. An amount, incidentally, which probably won't affect a full-grown adult, but these small children, by definition, have much less body mass, so the same quantity of cadmium equates to a much greater percentage (in relation to their body mass) and has a higher chance of causing damage.

You likely have a fair amount of cadmium already lying around your house. NiCd rechargeable cells ("batteries") contain cadmium (hence the name - NiCd = nickel-cadmium), and while higher-drain and/or smaller devices (e.g. laptops, mobile phones) use lithium ion (Li-Ion) or lithium polymer (LiP) batteries, and most consumer-bought rechargeable AA/AAA cells are nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH) these days, a lot of manufacturers are still supplying NiCd cells in certain rechargeable products to lower production costs. For example, my electric toothbrush and electric shaver both contain NiCd cells.

Not that NiMH or Li-Ion/LiP are any less toxic, of course, but, again, you aren't making a habit of swallowing or inhaling them.

LilLillyKitten

Which, I was thinking about children when I posted... so. =P

They dont come in a package

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

not to mention smokers

Tobacco smoking is the most important single source of cadmium exposure in the general population. It has been estimated that about 10% of the cadmium content of a cigarette is inhaled through smoking. The absorption of cadmium from the lungs is much more effective than that from the gut, and as much as 50% of the cadmium inhaled via cigarette smoke may be absorbed.[33]

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    I have the whole set, I don't wanna stop using them.
    Even though you know they have been proven to have toxic chemicals? Ok anyway... Why isn't this in the news? This is big isn't it atleast kinda?