Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Natural Cures

curiousitykitten

Default Natural Cures

As of the past month or so I've been struggling with depression and major mood swings. Everyday I have an episode it seems. Its quite embarrassing, so embarrassing I only told one person in real life. She wants me to get help.

Even I would like to get help... the suicidal thoughts, migranes, and disturbed sleep patterns are really getting in the way of my life. I know logically I don't want to die, but I wonder if there really is a point to existance. When I'm having an episode I feel numb. I become observant of the world around me; realizing that everything is meaningless in the end.

Triumphs,memories, love are all just distractions...theres really nothing to life other than eventual death. Years from now well be a memory, years from that well be a name, years from that well be non existant and long forgotten. So whats the point? Yes i know im going to get "oh life is about enjoying your self...have fun", which I agree with to a point but...other than the feelings of joy is there really a point to enjoyment?

Along with the mental anguish I'm also feeling an array of physical symptoms. I seem to fall into a trance...i often loose minutes to hours. When I come uot of this i usually am in a much much better mood but my head hurts so much and I get very dizzy. If i was in a very long trance my muscles in general hurt...

Meh now that I've rambled on forever I'm wondering what people have done for their depression... I can't tell my parents about this...so that means no therapy for me. I went to a mental hospital a few times and I had bad experiences with parental involvement.

I want to take care of this myself. Is there any natural remodies to feeling this way? What has worked for you... please share :]

also does anyone else experience exactly what i do? because i think the physical things are a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousitykitten View Post
    As of the past month or so I've been struggling with depression and major mood swings. Everyday I have an episode it seems. Its quite embarrassing, so embarrassing I only told one person in real life. She wants me to get help.

Even I would like to get help... the suicidal thoughts
    Here's where I basically stopped reading. Forget "natural cures", forget looking online for help, fuck all of that - see a professional. A properly licensed psychiatrist. Depression, mood swings, suicidal thoughts and migraines are all serious problems, and you should seek the assistance of someone who has proper training in dealing with these issues.

Especially the suicide bit.

curiousitykitten

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    Especially the suicide bit.
    i wont do it...i know i have way more stuff to do before i die. its just fantasy that comes to me when im feeling down

Mako

Hun, I know you don't want to worry your parent but you really do need to see a professional.

"You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine."

i wont do it...i know i have way more stuff to do before i die. its just fantasy that comes to me when im feeling down
    Look, sometimes depression isn't just depression. When I went through a shitty point in my life, my doctor ran a series of blood tests just to make sure that it wasn't masking a more serious thyroid problem. Sudden onset depression can mean hormonal problems, or chemical imbalance issues. Sudden onset migraines can sometimes mean a more serious problem than just debilitating headaches. You need to seek out professional help. We're a bunch of diaper-wearing chucklefucks on the internet, and what you have is a REAL problem.

I'm going to guess you went to WebMD, punched in your symptoms, and it told you the same thing Mako and I have?

Yeah - I know more-or-less how you feel. And like you, I'm not quite sure what to do about it either. I had a pretty major depressive episode a long while back and was on antidepressants for a couple of years. They got me out of the abyss of impending doom, but... nothing has really changed and life still seems pretty pointless a lot of the time.

I try to remind myself that, as pointless as life seems and as meaningless as my life will be a thousand years from now, there's something about the experience of living that comes from nowhere. It's possible to see real beauty in the world - a vivid sunset, a starry sky, a beatiful forest landscape on a sunny day... I may not be around forever, but I might as well enjoy it while I can. Although often it hurts that I can't see the beauty and just be happy... as if such beauty is wasted on me.

Forming human bonds where you can look into they eyes of someone else and understand the pain in life and appreciate the times you've shared together, trying to make the best out of life seems to mean something... So maybe it would help to try to see the beauty in nature or in friends/others. You know, try to make the best of what you've got and all that jazz.

I should probably see a shrink too... but that's a pretty expensive option, and I can't really see what they could possibly tell me that I don't already know (god, that makes me sound like a right smart-arse). On the other hand, I'd advise anyone I met with similar issues to see one straight away... I never listen to my own advice!

The herbal remedy hypericum perforatum (aka St. John's Wort) can be as effective as prescription anti-depressants (although sadly [a ho ho] it didn't do much for me).

Excercise is also a well-documented way to relieve depression. I have been cycling a lot recently (a few hours each day) and it makes a big difference (although I can't say that the world is suddenly saturated with meaning after a long ride!)

The worst thing I do regularly is isolate myself from others (by spending too much time on web forums ) and take drugs/alcohol to escape from reality for a bit. It's hard to resist, but in the long-run it's completely counter-productive and has made the problem worse. So... drugs are bad, m'kay?

As for the trance-like state that you mentioned, I reckon this is your brain saying "Argh! This world is driving me crazy! Let me escape for a bit and pretend not to be here!". I have a slightly weird experience of time where I remember the past as a dis-jointed collection of memories instead of a continuous stream of existence. It often feels like I'm just an observer looking in on the world, while everyone else is completely wrapped up in what they're doing. I think this is just my brain's way of reacting to the fact that something is wrong. If I could sort out the depression, I'd probably start to see the world in a more "normal" way - maybe the same is true of your trances...?

I've heard that people who are stressed or depressed are more likely to suffer from RSI. It seems that when you're stressed/depressed you are more tense, so maybe when you go into a trance you are tensing your muscles which is why they ache afterwards. Maybe it would be a good idea to look into relaxation techniques - meditation, yoga, deep-breathing excercises...?

Meh now that I've rambled on forever...
    Yeaaaah... I think I out-rambled you! Sorry! I hope some of this random waffle helps :-)

Oh - one last thing that I've found useful is watching a couple of films that deal with similar issues. I can really recommend I Heart Huckabees (which looks at how someone deals with an existential crisis in an amusing yet sincere way), and Girl, Interrupted and Prozac Nation were fascinating too. Funnily enough I started a thread on films with existential / mental-health themes earlier today, so if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them! :-)

(And I'm so sorry for my super-uber-ramblations - I should probably edit this post to make it of readable length, but what the f***'s the point, right?)

curiousitykitten

Tiny, you make several good points. Excersise is something i haven't been doing enough of. I used to run every day, now i only walk. Also, i probably should be forcing myself to paint or something that i usually like even if i dont feel like it rather than harping on how im not motivated... i think im gona try the supliment you suggested.

hah diaper wearing chucklefucks...i laughed out loud :]

LilLillyKitten

Really simple things that you can do that might help improve your mood: get some sun... exercise, or take walks at least. Eat healthy; stop eating junk food. Get plenty of rest, and try encorporating more protein into your diet. I've found all of these lifestyle changes to be very helpful for me, but you really should see a professional if you're having difficulties coping with your mood swings.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    Really simple things that you can do that might help improve your mood: get some sun... exercise, or take walks at least. Eat healthy; stop eating junk food. Get plenty of rest, and try encorporating more protein into your diet. I've found all of these lifestyle changes to be very helpful for me, but you really should see a professional if you're having difficulties coping with your mood swings.
    And the migraines. Don't forget the migraines. They're probably nothing, but I don't take any chances with my brain, and neither should anyone else.

Seriously, GET TO A DOCTOR. Depression can be a symptom of a more serious physical problem, or even a TRIVIAL physical problem that is easy to treat. If you have a specific type of thyroid condition, it can cause depression. Treating the depression won't do dick all to solve the underlying problem if one exists. Maybe treating the symptoms is all that you can do, but wouldn't it be better to rule out something like a thyroid condition before you try expensive herbal remedies or run until you puke? Seriously, those herbal remedies are not cheap.

I actually had a bad bout of anxiety last year for a couple of months after a bad drug experience.

I found what worked best for me was being outside, exercising, and being with friends/family.

The doctors even at one point put me on an SSRI which I felt like was absolutely worthless to me.

Eventually what got me more or less "over" it, not that I feel like I'll ever be the same again was actually having my first and only panic attack. The next day I genuinely realized it was all in my head, and that there was nothing wrong with me physically. While it didn't end at that moment it was certainly downhill after that.

Apart from what I listed above you could try making a tea from kava kava roots. They are known for having great anxiety relieving properties. There weren't any stores around where I lived that sold them so I never got to try it but there's a lot of knowledge out there about it if you want to look into it more.