Thread: The Shack

Default The Shack

Disclaimer: this is not meant to be a religious debate; (Should it become one, I will most likely request that this thread be closed... so please respect that! Thanks. ^.^) healthy discussion on or about both spiritual and religious concepts is not only invited but encouraged. However, the main focus of this thread should be the book that will be discussed hereafter. If you have read this book as well, please share about your experience; if you will be revealing any plot details, please mark those posts with spoiler warnings and/or use the spoiler code. Thank you! =)

The Shack by William Paul Young is a very intriguing read, even if you don't identify yourself with Christianity. I finished it this last week; I was very impressed... I didn't know what to expect when I started reading it.

I thought that it was written rather well, myself. The plot was interesting, and the characters were believable. It also gave me a lot to think about; I will expand on that a little bit after I reflect upon my experience(s) a bit more. What I will say at this point is that I found this book to be both bold and profound, if not enlightening. It took some of the things that I just couldn't wrap my mind around and made them so obvious that I could have slapped myself for not seeing any of it before.

At this point, I'll go ahead and open this thread up to discussion: thoughts?

I haven't read it.. but when I was at my mother's for thanksgiving my older brother suggested she read it. My mom was still stressed out over my sister's death from a car accident that happened more then a few years ago. She really enjoyed the book and read it in a few days, however I wasn't too interested upon reading the summary/inside book flap.

But it seems like it did for her, what "Lost" has done for me and possibly my older brother.

I highly recommend reading it; it's difficult to put down.

Just started it, literally, he just received the note in the mailbox I'll let you know when I'm done.

Just read the summary on Wikipedia, and I can already tell you that I see a darker message in the book that would make it far more disturbing.

Warned you that was more disturbing. Don't blame me if you couldn't help but hit the spoiler button. Of course, I've got similar takes on a lot of movies, like The Matrix.

I suppose that's a possible interpretation, but considering the language that is used, I don't see it being fully supported, bgi3. =)