Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: It's Alive, I Tell You! ALIVE!!!

  1. #1

    Default It's Alive, I Tell You! ALIVE!!!



    Scientists have turned inanimate chemicals into a living organism in an experiment that raises profound questions about the essence of life.

    Craig Venter, the U.S. genomics pioneer, announced on Thursday that scientists at his laboratories in Maryland and California had succeeded in their 15-year project to make the world's first "synthetic cells" -- bacteria called Mycoplasma mycoides.
    Link to Article

    Without exaggerating, this could well be the biggest and most important advance in Biology, ever. Pending other labs successfully recreating the work, we now have absolute proof that a living organism can be assembled from inanimate pieces without any type of divine spark.

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    Link to Article

    Without exaggerating, this could well be the biggest and most important advance in Biology, ever. Pending other labs successfully recreating the work, we now have absolute proof that a living organism can be assembled from inanimate pieces without any type of divine spark.
    While it its undoubtedly a significant achievement, if you think it will help to prove the point that life doesn't need a creator, that I think you're going to be disappointed.

    While you might sway some of those who are unsure, anybody who is totally committed to the belief that life needed a God is going to find some way to dismiss this, or brand all the scientists as immoral at the the very least.

    It's all very well making major biological advancements that will be of some use in the future (or even now perhaps), but just like scientists don't like religion pushed on them, try not to do it the other round either, then you'll keep most people happy.

    EDIT: In case this didn't come across in my message, I do think this discovery or result is very important, I was just saying how it wont change people's minds on religion
    Last edited by WoodlandWanderer; 25-May-2010 at 22:29. Reason: clarifying something

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by WoodlandWanderer View Post
    While you might sway some of those who are unsure, anybody who is totally committed to the belief that life needed a God is going to find some way to dismiss this, or brand all the scientists as immoral at the the very least.
    Such people also don't believe in evolution. Whether or not people will be swayed but this and whether or not it demonstrates that life doesn't require a divine creator are entirely different points. I totally agree many people won't be swayed by it. But that doesn't make this any less significant. Hell, the Catholic Church only recently got around to publicly admitting Copernicus was right. That doesn't make his words any less wrong in his day.

  4. #4

    Default

    This does not disprove any sort of god or creator. It could be said that anything that happens in this universe only happens because someone/something created us in the first place. I don't know if there is or isn't a higher power, but I like to think there is one of some sort.

    Anyway, this is pretty cool! I do not dismiss it and I do not see the scientists as immoral. I would like to see what future breakthroughs will result from this.

  5. #5

    Default

    This has so much potential. If we made a simple bacteria, who knows what we could do next. Maybe one that eats cancerous cells? The possibilities are just endless with this.

  6. #6
    BernardFx

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Wegs View Post
    This has so much potential. If we made a simple bacteria, who knows what we could do next. Maybe one that eats cancerous cells? The possibilities are just endless with this.
    This reminds me a lot to I am Legend, where scientist find the cure for cancer, but disastrous results.

    Maybe it would be best that they don't mess much with that kind of stuff.

  7. #7
    GaashaHuzzah

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BBFx View Post
    This reminds me a lot to I am Legend, where scientist find the cure for cancer, but disastrous results.

    Maybe it would be best that they don't mess much with that kind of stuff.
    You know, it's scientifically proven that all Will Smith movies will happen sooner or later.

  8. #8

    Default

    This would be more important if bacteria were still classified in the plant Kingdom, but they no longer are. So one has to wonder, did they simply construct a self generating chemical string? They did it with viruses a long time ago. Some people consider viruses as living entities because they reproduce, but what happens is that we define life with words. Creation is so much more.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    Mako

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    This would be more important if bacteria were still classified in the plant Kingdom, but they no longer are. So one has to wonder, did they simply construct a self generating chemical string? They did it with viruses a long time ago. Some people consider viruses as living entities because they reproduce, but what happens is that we define life with words. Creation is so much more.
    The consensus is that viruses are not living oragnisms due to the way they replicate, and do not fullfill the requirements to be classified as life. Being able to chemically produce life from non-living matter shows that abiogenesis is the strongest possible cause for life.

Similar Threads

  1. I'm still alive...
    By Drosera in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-Dec-2008, 13:01
  2. Arts Alive YAY!!!!
    By Samaki in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Jul-2008, 23:15
  3. I got out alive!
    By Dragon in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-Jul-2008, 10:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.