What do you recommend. My neighbor wanted help and I recommended these programs.
(I hit the basics)
Some Programs I recommend. (Its a list I am going to suggest, all but one should be free the other is recommend by Kim Komando (who I trust))
1. CCleaner (All around diskspace cleaner)
2. Spybot Search and Destory (Spyware)
3. Spyware Blaster (Spyware)
4. Zonealarm (Firewall)
5. AVG (Anti-virus)
6. Ad-aware (spyware)
7. HijackThis (registry, but not really suggested unless you know what you are doing)
8. Uniblue Registry Boosters (http://www.liutilities.com/products/...o/hpbanner/10/)
1. I use for all around basic cleaning. It cleans all the internet files, temp files and all that good stuff. It can also search the registry and repair some problems
2. This program searches for junk that gets on many computers. It is very easily used to find and get rid of junk like tracking software or cookies.
3. Basically the same as above. Now I have never used it, but it was recommended on a site that I visit often, so I trust it.
4. ZoneAlarm is a firewall, It adds better protection then what windows xp uses. (Not really important)
5. Anti-virus Software. I personally am not running any even though I need to be. Not sure if you have any installed as that was not the real topic of our discussion.
6. See numbers 2 and 3, except I have used it before and it is used at school. I would recommend doing a deep scan in safe mode during the night if possible.
7. This program goes through and checks for problems in the registry, but once again I would not really suggest it because you mentioned you didn't exactly know what you were doing. (I don't use it for that very reason)
8. This program will search through the registry and tell you what problems exist. Now even if there weren't errors, it would probably say there is a problem, but it is still worth a shot.
They are going to be in the same order.
2. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html (whoops I misspelt it in the email)