Thread: Mark Twain to release his newest book this November

Default Mark Twain to release his newest book this November

After keeping us waiting for a century, Mark Twain will finally reveal all - News, Books - The Independent

The creator of Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn and some of the most frequently misquoted catchphrases in the English language left behind 5,000 unedited pages of memoirs when he died in 1910, together with handwritten notes saying that he did not want them to hit bookshops for at least a century.

"He had doubts about God, and in the autobiography, he questions the imperial mission of the US in Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. He's also critical of [Theodore] Roosevelt, and takes the view that patriotism was the last refuge of the scoundrel. Twain also disliked sending Christian missionaries to Africa. He said they had enough business to be getting on with at home: with lynching going on in the South, he thought they should try to convert the heathens down there."

"There are so many biographies of Twain, and many of them have used bits and pieces of the autobiography," Dr Hirst said. "But biographers pick and choose what bits to quote. By publishing Twain's book in full, we hope that people will be able to come to their own complete conclusions about what sort of a man he was."

About freaking time.. I got bored reading the same stuff over and over.

But seriously, I hope its good and I'll try and get into it, guy was a great author.

This will become an interesting read. Surprised that they complied with his wishes but hopefully this will be a memorable book like his others that will instill his literary immortality in the world.

Wow, I didn't even know about this story. I haven't read any of his works besides Tom Sawyer, but I still find this very interesting.