In preparation for the upcoming 4.0 site upgrade, I'm making some changes to how we handle profile privacy on the site.
Basically, there were two totally different profile privacy systems in place on the site:
- The old one, which you can configure halfway down this page.
- The newer one, which was configured halfway down the 'edit profile' settings page.
The newer one is compatible with the new 4.0 version of the site, but the original one wasn't.
So, I've removing the old one.
What does this mean for those people who were using the old one?
Well, here's what is happening:
- Those of you who were using the 'public' setting on the old system are not affected, as you're not using it to restrict your profile anyway.
- Those of you who were using the 'registered members' setting on the old system have had all your settings on the new system set to at least 'registered members'. The effect of this is that people will now be able to see the statistics section of your profile, but nothing else.
- Those of you using a setting higher than 'registered members' on the old system have had all your settings on the new system set to 'buddies', meaning that only people you have approved as friends will be able to see anything beyond the 'statistics' section of your profile. If you wish to make some of your profile available to members who are not your buddies, you will need to go here and update your settings.