Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: College Major?

  1. #1

    Default College Major?

    Well I will be taking my placement exams for university tomorrow and I am worried about the math portion of it, since I am pretty darn dumb when it comes to math. I am now starting to worry that I may fail college before it even starts, i know the placement exams wont determine that, but they will show me where I will stand as of the fall semester, but I digress...

    I have Always been very interested in business, I have run a few small operations myself and interned and what not. but, the fact that I am horrible at math has me worried...am I setting myself up for failure if I want to pursue a degree in business if I cannot handle the math portion of it? Should I burn that major and pick another one, something I am good at like history?

    Basically what I am asking is that since I am not good at math, would I be setting myself up for failure if I were to purse a degree in business?

  2. #2

    Default

    I can tell you this dt. All through high school I was terrible in math. I was a musician and math was not a part of my life. But as you go through life, things change. At one point, about 15 years ago, I thought about becoming an accountant. I took a number of classes in that field. I got a B in the first accounting class, and then an A in the next. I got an A in business math, (an easy class) and A's in all the other classes. Eight years ago I took a pre-calculus class and got an A in that as well. I simply was a late bloomer, and had some growing up to do.

    If you go into business, especially your own business, you definitely need accounting classes, not only to do your books, but to understand how money is consumed while running a business. As smart as you are, you can do it. Go take your tests and don't worry. Your college will accept you. Once in college, work your tail off. That's what I did the second time around.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I can tell you this dt. All through high school I was terrible in math. I was a musician and math was not a part of my life. But as you go through life, things change. At one point, about 15 years ago, I thought about becoming an accountant. I took a number of classes in that field. I got a B in the first accounting class, and then an A in the next. I got an A in business math, (an easy class) and A's in all the other classes. Eight years ago I took a pre-calculus class and got an A in that as well. I simply was a late bloomer, and had some growing up to do.

    If you go into business, especially your own business, you definitely need accounting classes, not only to do your books, but to understand how money is consumed while running a business. As smart as you are, you can do it. Go take your tests and don't worry. Your college will accept you. Once in college, work your tail off. That's what I did the second time around.
    Wow, thanks for that! I was assuming I was going to get some negative feed back from this topic, haha. Thanks for the advice though, maybe I'm a late bloomer too haha.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Well I will be taking my placement exams for university tomorrow and I am worried about the math portion of it, since I am pretty darn dumb when it comes to math. I am now starting to worry that I may fail college before it even starts, i know the placement exams wont determine that, but they will show me where I will stand as of the fall semester, but I digress...

    I have Always been very interested in business, I have run a few small operations myself and interned and what not. but, the fact that I am horrible at math has me worried...am I setting myself up for failure if I want to pursue a degree in business if I cannot handle the math portion of it? Should I burn that major and pick another one, something I am good at like history?

    Basically what I am asking is that since I am not good at math, would I be setting myself up for failure if I were to purse a degree in business?
    No. Unless you're doing accounting or finance (I leave economics off because it's typically offered in the "social sciences" college), you don't need to have any grasp--tenuous or otherwise--to get a degree in business*.






    * I have had a whole ton of math in my life. More than I remember, care to remember, or care for. When I left an EE program, I said, "I'm going to drink until I don't remember this math!" And it's been successful. So my opinion may be biased, but you'll need college algebra and that's about it.

  5. #5
    Butterfly Mage

    Default

    I have a degree in mathematics. It's just about useless to me since I work in law enforcement.

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I have a degree in mathematics. It's just about useless to me since I work in law enforcement.
    *DUI stop*

    "You there! Recite 20 of the smallest Mersenne Primes ... in descending order!"

    *CO to the Mayor* "I don't know, sir ... I've no idea why DUI arrests are up 2700% since last year..."

  7. #7

    Default

    I'm majoring in Japanese which, depending on whether or not I decide to live and work in Japan will either be meaningless or lifesaving.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    Well I will be taking my placement exams for university tomorrow and I am worried about the math portion of it, since I am pretty darn dumb when it comes to math. I am now starting to worry that I may fail college before it even starts, i know the placement exams wont determine that, but they will show me where I will stand as of the fall semester, but I digress...

    I have Always been very interested in business, I have run a few small operations myself and interned and what not. but, the fact that I am horrible at math has me worried...am I setting myself up for failure if I want to pursue a degree in business if I cannot handle the math portion of it? Should I burn that major and pick another one, something I am good at like history?

    Basically what I am asking is that since I am not good at math, would I be setting myself up for failure if I were to purse a degree in business?
    If you're actually into what you want to do, it shouldn't matter. I never considered myself to be that great at math, but now I have a minor in it and a degree/job that uses math on a daily basis. It's something you need to have some aptitude with but a lot of it's just practice. It's easier to get the practice if you're applying it to something you genuinely enjoy. Basically, if you really like your major, you oughta figure out a way to make it work

  9. #9

    Default

    To be perfectly blunt, anybody who can get into college can pass college, provided that they don't blow off their studies. Some people won't make As without becoming shut-ins, and Bs take a lot of effort for others, but passing with mediocre marks is obtainable with reasonable effort for everyone. Calm down and stop worrying - you are not setting yourself up for failure and college will be easier than your current fears.

    Business majors do not necessarily need any serious math courses, though some paths require more than others and my understanding is that a math minor is a worthwhile thing to have on one's resume for an after-college business position.
    Last edited by Fruitkitty; 20-May-2010 at 23:24.

  10. #10

    Default

    I'm okay at math, not great at the higher level stuff but I was able to get (well close, 3 creds short due to slacking) an AAS in business without trouble. Basic Accounting is nothing more then mostly addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Nothing came up in my accounting class that was complex mathematically wise. Business math is also quite easy, MAYBE a small amount of algebra 1.

    Haven't looked at what is needed for a major, but yeah business usually isn't something in which high amount of math are required.

Similar Threads

  1. Major Problem!
    By diaperedteenager in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2010, 23:53
  2. Choosing a Major
    By Khaymen in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2010, 07:18
  3. Major Accomplishment!
    By diaperedteenager in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2010, 02:28
  4. A major achievement
    By Khaymen in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2010, 01:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.