Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing Family

Default Losing Family

I've been quite fortunate. I knew my great grandparents and vaguely remember going to see a great great grandmother when I was a child. I didn't loose my grandfather on my dad's side until I was 29.

I will soon turn 33 and for the past year and a half have watched my Mother's Dad slip away in the cruel grip of a cancer that has spread throughout his body and recently reached his brain.

This is a man that supported and pushed me to get an education as my Dad told me that I was a screw up and would ruin my life. I guess you could say that by not being present my Dad caused both of my Grandfathers to step in and fill the void. In loosing my mom's dad I will loose a supporter, daddy, logical guide, and a man that I've always looked upon as being immortal.

I can't even bring myself to tell my granddad that I lost my job because the last thing I want is him worrying about me in his final weeks. Worse yet I hear my Dad's words ringing in my ears as I desperately seek another job in the worst economy of my lifetime.

Anyway, I needed to write this. My Granddad asked me to have my exgirlfriend come to see him and I thought I would talk with her about the situation, until she said that she couldn't promise to drive down to see him before he dies in the weeks or months to come.

I can't say that I'm in a good place right now. I need to sleep that I may get up and be well prepared for my interview with the Sheriffs Department in the morning, but I'm just not sure where it ranks in importance at present.

If anyone has any spiritual or philosophical words of encouragement, I welcome them.

Quote Originally Posted by khaymen View Post
    If anyone has any spiritual or philosophical words of encouragement, I welcome them.
    I can't think of anything right now to say, but I will offer this..

2010 | This American Life

skip the prologue and listen to all of act 1. it starts at 7:15

that blows, but at least he ain't in pain no more.

Quote Originally Posted by flop View Post
    that blows, but at least he ain't in pain no more.
    His grandpa is still alive, and from what I gather it's not looking great for him and it sucks. Not only for him, but for his family as well.

As the guy in the This American Life I posted says "It's 2010, and they can't even cure cancer. How god damn hard can that be?" (Seriously, I think you could relate to the guy's story khaymen, though it might be painful to listen to.)

Don't let his passing when it happens get you down, remember all the good things and he will stay alive and with you forever.

It works for me.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." Don't let advertises slow you down or cloud your thoughts. Purge your mind and strive for a goal worth fighting for.

Khaymen, I feel so sorry for you. I have no sage words of wisdom that will lessen the pain you are feeling, and though I can recite many spiritual and philosophical passages, I think ballucanb words are best. Try to remember only the good times. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.

Beyond what is happening with my Grandfather, my great disappointment last night was that a woman I love and tried to make a part of my family couldn't commit to a dieing mans request to visit him.

I never imagined I would get that reaction and can only suppose it is best that she broke up with me.

Anyone that couldn't commit to your request isn't worth knowing let alone marrying, she sounds like she has her priority's and you and or your grandfather are not important to her.

If she isn't there for you when you need her she won't be there for you ever.

Lost my best friend, I certainly only knew him about 3-4 years, but I got closer to him than anyone else(including my parents and siblings/family), he was like my soulmate...accepted my TB/AB side, even offerd to buy me some diapers for me, or lend his address to me for diapers and things.
    Tried to help me get more confidence in myself, comforted me when I was sad and loved me like a brother...
    there was even times I thought I was gay...
    I love you A!