Thread: Clingy in a relationship?

Default Clingy in a relationship?

OK, now for the serious part of this post. Can we all be considered clingy in a relationship?

Lately I've been thinking more about the love of my life that got away. One of the reasons she sited when she broke up with me was that I didn't call her every night like I once did. Not to sound bad because I was upfront with her about it, but I mainly called her to talk me home from late nights at work so that I didn't fall asleep at the wheel again.

But I remember an argument we had about a movie that I was really exited about and wanted her to see with me. She hurt my feelings when she declined and told me to take one of my guy friends and said that she had girl friends to see chick flicks with. My sense of a relationship differed from her however, and I told her that I would be glad to see a chick flick with her and wanted us to share every part of our lives.

Is this just a different view on relationships, or would you say that most people are clingy in their own fashion?

Quote Originally Posted by khaymen View Post

OK, now for the serious part of this post. Can we all be considered clingy in a relationship?

Lately I've been thinking more about the love of my life that got away. One of the reasons she sited when she broke up with me was that I didn't call her every night like I once did. Not to sound bad because I was upfront with her about it, but I mainly called her to talk me home from late nights at work so that I didn't fall asleep at the wheel again.

But I remember an argument we had about a movie that I was really exited about and wanted her to see with me. She hurt my feelings when she declined and told me to take one of my guy friends and said that she had girl friends to see chick flicks with. My sense of a relationship differed from her however, and I told her that I would be glad to see a chick flick with her and wanted us to share every part of our lives.

Is this just a different view on relationships, or would you say that most people are clingy in their own fashion?
    I would agree with that. Everyone has their time and place that they're most clingy. I think it may come from a sense of vulnerability though. For example, in my last relationship I was overtly clingy because in high school the person I was with was slightly popular (or in other terms, actually had friends whereas I had none). With my fiance now, she is 'clingy', but with good reason.
    Did you two ever go see that film together?

I guess I can be pretty clingy sometimes when I'm in a relationship. I don't share well, and naturally like a lot of attention, which can sometimes manifest itself as clingyness, especially if I'm already feeling insecure or worried about something.

I don't especially mind people being clingy with me, it just shows they like me! The only time it becomes a problem is if it starts to affect the rest of your day to day life, but by trhe same respect, I think allowances have to be made in certain circumstances.

Hmmm... it's a tricky thing to think through

I don't think everyone's clingy. My boyfriend and I broke up about a week ago largely because he doesn't have a single bit of clingy in his personality- and he can't stand that I do. I think most people are clingy to some extent; they need to be held a certain amount, be reassured they're special, have regular contact, etc. One person's type of clingy may bug someone who expresses a different sort, but most of us do have it in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    Did you two ever go see that film together?
    No, I can't say that we did.