Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Toys!

Jeffy

Default Electronic Toys!

I know it's been a while since I've posted last, and I normally just chill around the lilfur board more often than any others, but this seems most appropriate here. But I definitely think that this is going to spark SOMEONE'S interest!
    A lot of people have asked me "When you're cubbing out, what exactly do you do? Besides the obvious >.>". I usually tell them "I play with my toys, of course!"
    Those of us who were born in the 80s and 90s, what was popular to buy your kids were electronic toys. They took up batteries (usually once the stock batteries died, the toy was set aside to gather dust), they were loud and obnoxious to parents and older siblings alike, and they weren't useful for much more than keeping kids entertained with sounds and lights (and sometimes lcd screens). I've kept my own (and my other sibling's) over the years and I've found new uses for them (not far from the flashing lights and loud sounds theory actually!)
    I've been thrown headlong into the world of circuit bending! It's sort of a science/art hobby thing of mine, and it's tons of fun! The idea is that you open up one of these electronic toys, and connect points on the circuit board to achieve interesting effects. You then use electronic components to connect these points with switches, buttons, potentiometers and what-have-you to control these points contact! It works best on toys specifically intended to make sounds or music. I think it's probably the cubbiest adult-ish hobby that I have (considering that cubs can't solder!). I now have a reason to keep piles of kiddy toys laying around! Here's a picture of some of my favorites!

What do you guys think?

That's awesome! :3 I'm into modding stuff, like the other day I made a converter so I can use an Xbox controller on a PC. (Not that hard, but fun!)

That's pretty cool! I'm not one for circuit bending, but to this day, I still like to play with toys that make noise. If there is something at the store, with a button, I'm like "Ooh, button!" and push it!

I have my own little collection of electronic toys because I enjoy vintage electronics. My favorite is my 2-XL robot that takes 8-Track tapes.
    Last edited by Altric; 08-May-2010 at 04:11.

Oh man, that's so cool! I'm sure one of my friends had one of those record-player thingies.

Remember any of these:
    Speak & Spell
    Big Trak
    Major Morgan

I'd love to be able to understand electronics, but my analogue electronics classes at uni scarred me for life! "Circuit bending" sounds fascinating, though... :-)

I thought about circuit bending my Furby once, but I'm too scared to go near my Furby after a certain incident that made me see it's possessed.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
    I thought about circuit bending my Furby once, but I'm too scared to go near my Furby after a certain incident that made me see it's possessed.
    You think that's bad? You should see your Teddy Ruxbin turn on in the middle of the night...

Jeffy

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    You think that's bad? You should see your Teddy Ruxbin turn on in the middle of the night...
    Oh, even worse. I had a smartypants doll o.o (I can't find a freaking picture of the thing, but it was this red-headed nerd educational freak doll) and when the batteries started to die, its voice got all low and distorted and it would turn on randomly >.> spooky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
    Oh, even worse. I had a smartypants doll o.o (I can't find a freaking picture of the thing, but it was this red-headed nerd educational freak doll) and when the batteries started to die, its voice got all low and distorted and it would turn on randomly >.> spooky stuff.
    lol, I can only imagine it starting off really doll-like high pitched saying "Hug me, yay! I love you Jeffy!" and then getting all growly death metal like and going "tonight.... you...."
    +1 if you get the reference :P

My Furby did turn on in the middle of the night. Was the incident I was talking about. My mom was snoring loudly in the other room and it woke up and started yelling. I got out of bed and turned it away from me after that happened. When I woke up, it was facing me again...