Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubik's Cubes, anyone?

Talking Rubik's Cubes, anyone?

So, I was bored, and thought I'd post this to see how many people at ADISC want to learn how to solve the Rubik's Cube. This guide was 100% made by me, I wrote the text, made the images, and everything.

Here it is, my official Rubik's Cube solving guide. I put a lot of effort into this, hopefully it pays off. I promise if you follow this step by step, you'll learn how to solve it. While solving, please be sure to take it step by step. Don't rush through and be like "I solved it!" Because I can bet you just read through, did the steps, and didn't memorize. Take the time to memorize each step before moving on. What good is solving the cube if you can't do it without my guide? Exactly.

Ok, now I'll take the time to describe how it's going to work. I'm basically going to have each step and different things you may encounter, and how to work with them. You'll notice that I'll use things like "L' R U L R' F2...." and that's the biggest thing you need to remember. The letters correspond to the face that you need to turn. When you are looking at the cube with one side facing towards you, the letters are as such:

F = Front face, the one you are currently looking at
    B = Back face, the side in the back
    L = Left face, the side to the left of the front
    R = Right face, the side to the right of the front
    U = Upper face, the side up on top
    D = Down face, the side on the bottom
    C = Cube, as in the whole cube, basically meaning to turn it in your hand so a different side is facing you

Take note of the ' that I have on some of those in the quote above. If there isn't a ' after a letter, that means you turn that face CLOCKWISE. And if it does have the ' that means you turn that face COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. To get better acquainted with whether or not you are turning it the correct way, move the cube so that that face in particular is facing in front of you, so you know which way you are turning, until you get more comfortable with it. Eventually you'll get the hang of it, and it'll become like second nature. And you'll also notice the 2 that I have after one of the letters, that means to turn that face TWICE (In either direction, you'll end up with the same destination).

Now here's your mixed Rubik's Cube. The 4 main parts you are going to solve are the very first face, the middle row below it, you're going to solve the bottom face, and then arrange the bottom row. So you'll be solving it like such:

Alright well let's get right down to business.

Top Layer

Now there isn't much I can do to help with the top layer, you'll find your own methods of getting the pieces in faster and easier, but I'll give you some general guide-lines. You're going to start by getting the plus shape on the top, the "middles" of that layer. Not only do they have to be in place but they have to be on the right side. Look at your cube, the absolute centers never move, so that means the side with the green center will ALWAYS be green. So obviously your White/Green middle piece has to go on the green side. (Take note now that you can solve whatever side you want first, I just choose white because it stands out). For first times sake, let's do white first. Let's say while trying to put a middle piece in place you get something like this:

Now, obviously you can't just turn your red face and put it in, it's flipped. So what you have to do is turn your cube so that green is facing towards you, and turn the face so that the white side of the piece is facing down. Now you can turn the bottom face to where the Red/White piece is facing under the red side, and pop it into place. You'll experience many different things like this, but the main thing to remember is that if you can get it to there the white (or whatever color you are starting on) side of the piece to face the bottom, you can move it to any side you want and put it into place.

Once you get the hang of that, you can move on and start working on your corners. These are a bit tougher, because now you have 3 different sides to your piece. But there's always a general rule you can follow to make it easier. Take this for example:

The corner is in the correct place, but again it's flipped. So what you can do is turn that orange face counterclockwise, so that the piece is lying on the bottom row. Then you turn your bottom row so that the corner is no longer on that face, and then make sure to put the face back in place, so that you keep your middle piece there. Then once you've done that, you want to reposition your corner in the right way. Holding the cube with the orange facing towards you, the corner you need to put it in is on the left, so turn the bottom face until the corner piece you need to put in is on the RIGHT side. Then turn your left face clockwise, bring that middle row over to the left so that the corner pops in, and then bring your left face back up. And you've successfully put your corner in place. Again, you'll find lots of similar things like this, but if you just bring it into that bottom row with the white (or whatever side you are solving) facing OUT (as in, towards you), then you can put it into the correct corner. Keep practicing that through trial and error, and eventually you should have your first side completed. Congrats, keep practicing it until you've got it pretty well down. Now we can move onto the next step, where you start actually doing memorization of what we call algorithms (moving of different faces and sides to put pieces into place).

Middle Row

Alright, this is where things start to get a little easier (if you have a good memory, that is). Your goal is to gather all of the pieces into the middle row (from the top) of your cube. Really there is only one thing you have to remember when solving the middle. You're going to be looking for the middle piece that links in with the 2 sides. So for example: If you are trying to connect your blue and orange sides, you will look for a blue/orange middle piece. And then, depending on which side is facing out (towards you), you'll do one of two things. If your orange is facing towards you, then you need to turn your bottom row until it is on the orange side. Now, since blue is to the LEFT of the orange, you need to turn your bottom row once to the RIGHT (clockwise), and proceed with this algorithm (get a pen and paper if you want): L B' L' B' C (so that blue is facing you) R' B R. And then you will notice that the middle piece is in without messing up any other pieces that are already in place. And that goes the exact opposite if the piece needs to go into a mid-section on the right. You would bring into the correct side, turn the bottom row left and proceed with: R' B R B C(so that the other side is facing you) L B' L'. So, just remember:

If the piece is going to the right, do:

B' R' B R B C(R) L B' L'

And if the piece is going to the left, do:

B L B' L' B' C(L) R' B R

Now, every now and then you'll have it to where a middle piece is already in, but it's flipped, the only way to fix this is to pop in another random piece (preferably NOT another middle row piece, but it doesn't matter), and then to put it back into place in the correct alignment. And really that's all there is to the middle row, it's relatively simplistic, just a bit repetitive if you have a bunch of pieces out of place. But usually it's the fastest step. Now after you have the algorithms down, you can move on to the next step.

Bottom Face

Okay, your bottom face, really, it's just one algorithm here. That's it, just 1, but there's a catch, you will be repeating it multiple times and there are a couple of different results you can get. Now, looking at your bottom face (in this case, yellow), look around and see how many corner pieces you already have in place. There is a general rule regarding them. If you have only one corner on the bottom face, you need to hold the cube so that that particular corner is facing in the top left. If you have 2 that are adjacent (as in, the top 2, bottom 2, left 2, right 2), then you need to have the cube held so that the 2 corners are facing on the right side. And if the 2 are across from each other diagonally, then it's really your choice (well you'll start to see signs of which to pick, but that's when you get more advanced). For lucks sake, let's say you only have 1 corner in place, so turn it so that the corner is in the top left. Now, you're going to do this algorithm:

R' F' R F' R' F2 R

And then from there it's just a matter of repeating it until you get one of two things. First, we'll discuss something I call "The Fish" (it also look like an arrow, but choose whatever you would like to call it). It looks like this:

I left the other 2 colors blank because they could essentially be ANY color when you experience it (other than white or yellow of course). When you get this, there is 1 more algorithm you need to know to fix it. Which is:

L' R U L R' F2 L' R U L R'

And boom, you have a completed bottom face, and are ready to finish off the cube. BUT if you experience the other possibility, you have a couple of extra steps. This next pattern is called "The H" (for obvious reasons):

If you encounter this, there isn't really anything you can do until you start to solve the final bits of the cube, but you will come back to this eventually. But for now, onto the final step.

Bottom Row

Ok, now that you are here, you're near the completion, I bet it's getting exciting. Your first thing to do is to look around your bottom row to see if there are any matching pairs of corners already paired on the same side, if so, you only have to do the next algorithm once. If you have a matching pair, put them onto the side the coordinate to (Example: If it is a pair of orange corners, put them on the orange face). Now, turn the entire cube so that that face is your BACK face. Then do this algorithm:

R F' R B2 R' F R B2 R2

And there you will have all of the corners paired up. If you didn't have any 2 matching corners, simply pick any side you want, and do that same algorithm. Once you have 2 matching corners, put them in the back and repeat it. Now afterward you will either have 1 of the 4 sides completed, or all will have one middle piece out of place, either way, you will have to do this next algorithm. If you have a completed side, make sure it's in the BACK, and then do this:

F2 (afterward look to see what side the missing piece is on, and bring it into this face) L' R F2 L R' (line up the finished colors) F2.

If done correctly, your cube should be finished. Now if you had it to where all of the sides had a middle piece out of place, simply do that same algorithm for any side you wish, and then you will get it to where 1 is completely finished, and then you can repeat the algorithm. And then you can say you have solved it.

But now let's get back to if you had "The H". Basically you're going to just pretend that you have the bottom solved. Once you get to the point where you would normally be doing the last step, once you finish you will notice that it gives you "The Fish" on the bottom face. From there you can solve the bottom face, and work on the bottom row again. In some cases though, after fixing "The Fish" once you get it, you will actually solve the entire cube.

And that's about all there is to it, if you have a good memory, you can do it. You might run into some things that aren't covered here, just ask. If you have any questions or feel I left something out, give me a message and I'll see what I can do. Any and all feedback is appreciated. Hope you have fun solving your Rubik's Cubes!! =D

Hey, just wondering, when you're completing the middle row, does the completed side need to be facing up or down for your directions to work? I'm having some troubles lol.

I could play with one for hours then make one or two epic mistakes but it always ends with me chucking it across the room.

Advise, to the first side instinctively, Just explain inserting and you can do it instinctively and it's 20 times faster. Haven't read the rest yet, got bored.
    Last edited by Martin; 06-May-2010 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by MyLastWords View Post
    Hey, just wondering, when you're completing the middle row, does the completed side need to be facing up or down for your directions to work? I'm having some troubles lol.
    Yes, sorry I missed that part. The completed needs to be up.

EDIT: Yeah, Martin, first side is a bit hard to explain how to "Do", since it's just a matter of finding, and placing. But, I just gave some typical scenarios where you're like "How do I get it in there?"

man i love rubiks cubes. ive never even been able to finish one side lol. i should try this

Please do, I'm positive it'll help you solve it. It's the same way *I* solve it xD

I used to be able to do this. I have a friend in real life who can solve one in about 45 seconds, and has a 7*7 (as opposed to 3*3) that takes him about 15 minutes.

When I feel like reading I'll probably look this over

Very cool, I want a 7x7x7. All I have are the 3x3x3, 4x4x4, and 5x5x5. I haven't gotten fast with the other two, but on the standard, my fastest solve is 37 seconds =D