Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NYC Times square bomb

Default NYC Times square bomb

Right so i know quite a few of yall out there know about what happened in times square a few days ago. If not I cant get the link right now so if someone wants to put it up please please please do. At any rate here are a few things i want to hear some thoughts and ideas on, maybe we can get a little nifty discussion going on.

Firstly, for reference I listen to Glenn Beck and that being said this is where I heard this little tidbit. Where the suspect vehicle was parked was either right near or in front of the Viacom building. Viacom is the parent company of Nick, Paramount, MTV networks, BET, Logo, and Comedy Central who airs south park which had the Muhammad in a bear suit deal which i choose not to know much about. Is this an Interesting coincidence?

Secondly what if the device did detonate, how many people could it have taken out so to speak. What would be the domestic and international ramifications? Would we invade again, start another war maybe? (Heard this comment today... kinda makes me think a bit) Lets say had this gone off and killed many people, damaged the media company of Viacom and maybe more, might it have a silver lining? I remember 9/11, where i was sitting in class, who my teacher was... I remember the info being kept from us but when kids kept getting pulled out of class and a student showed up late we all had to find out. I remember after the attacks, the country seemed to all unite, there was a flag in front of everybody's house... people went to church and prayed, "United We Stand" became our motto again. People supported the troops (Not to say they don't now), wore yellow ribbons, joined the military and devoted them selves to the principles of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal courage. Even those who didn't enlist lived by those values more than I had ever recalled. Would the deaths of the people in times square, the shock that the country and world would feel when shaken out of their complacency bring back days like that?

Third and my final, what would the ramifications be in our individual lives from measures that could have gone into place after? I know we've all heard the "show me your papers" thing with AZ but might we be required to have our vehicles scanned, patted down randomly, maybe even internment camps like in WWII all in the name of our well being.

I know a lot of this, probably much of this sounds far fetched and possibly crazy. More than anything I would really like to see what everyone thinks about this, what could it have been?

I don't think the South Park episode had too much to do with it, I think it was more about putting in a place that would hurt as many people as possible to cause fear. Likely it would cause an investors panic (again), cause some panic with the public, and can't guess what else. Hopefully wouldn't lead to another war (got enough already) or another law taking away a bunch of our freedoms.

The guy was a idiot and couldn't do anything right. He parked in front of a shit ton of camera's so the cops could get wicked amounts of evidence, he left the VIN tag on and I bet he left the license plates on too. Worst of all he was using fireworks and gasoline and chimerical fertilizer to make a car bomb.

He sucks so badly at doing any of that right, I pray that he knows how to suck a dick or two in prison before "Big Papa" puts the beat down on him for dropping his soap in the shower room.

(Goodbye career in politics... :P Also I am not playing the whole what if game asides for saying, we'll move on like we always have)

The placement of the bomb near the Viacom building was probably a coincidence. Times Square is a busy place and if a terrorist wanted to kill as many people as possible then that's probably a good place for an attack. I really don't think that an attack of this magnitude would be a sufficient reason to start another war but I can definitely see governments blowing things out of proportion because of something like this (like when they banned all liquids from airliners).

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    The guy was a idiot and couldn't do anything right. He parked in front of a shit ton of camera's so the cops could get wicked amounts of evidence, he left the VIN tag on and I bet he left the license plates on too. Worst of all he was using fireworks and gasoline and chimerical fertilizer to make a car bomb.

He sucks so badly at doing any of that right, I pray that he knows how to suck a dick or two in prison before "Big Papa" puts the beat down on him for dropping his soap in the shower room.

(Goodbye career in politics... :P Also I am not playing the whole what if game asides for saying, we'll move on like we always have)
    It's a good thing the guy was a moron or he might have actually killed some people. I hope all future terrorists are this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by maccracker18 View Post
    Right so i know quite a few of yall out there know about what happened in times square a few days ago. If not I cant get the link right now so if someone wants to put it up please please please do. At any rate here are a few things i want to hear some thoughts and ideas on, maybe we can get a little nifty discussion going on.

Firstly, for reference I listen to Glenn Beck and that being said this is where I heard this little tidbit. Where the suspect vehicle was parked was either right near or in front of the Viacom building. Viacom is the parent company of Nick, Paramount, MTV networks, BET, Logo, and Comedy Central who airs south park which had the Muhammad in a bear suit deal which i choose not to know much about. Is this an Interesting coincidence?
    Comedy Central also airs the Daily Show, which is despised by the teabaggers. Components were bought at WalMart. Coincidence?

YES. That's all it is. Trying to join together disparate, tangentially related datapoints will get you whatever pattern you're looking for. For all we know, the guy was an ex-Viacom employee who got laid off. Until the suspect is nabbed and we learn more about the motives, trying to connect it to Islam in any way is asinine, and betrays a significant lack of intellectual integrity.

Secondly what if the device did detonate, how many people could it have taken out so to speak.
    The answer to that is "very few". See, here's where I get back to the "bomb" thing. The guy basically learned how to make bombs from Wile-E Coyote. He took some gas cans, a propane tank, some fireworks, and strapped a Fisher Price alarm clock to the whole mess (no, I'm not kidding). Oh, and some fertilizer in the glove compartment. Not ammonium nitrate, the kind used in the OKC bombing - just generic manure you'd get at Home Depot. It takes a significant amount of work to make something that burns, like gas and propane, and make it explode. Propane tanks, for example, are very, very safe. The only way to make propane explode is to burn it under extreme pressure, and a propane tank has several safety features built in to prevent that pressure from building to unsafe levels. Jackass didn't disable a single one of them, and no matter how hard you try, you're not going to get a jerrycan full of gas to explode. It could BURN, sure - but it won't explode.

Worst case scenario with this "bomb"? A shitty day had by the fine men and women of the NYFD, followed by a shitload of paperwork.

What would be the domestic and international ramifications? Would we invade again, start another war maybe? (Heard this comment today... kinda makes me think a bit)
    And who, exactly, would be "invaded"? There isn't a chance that an invasion would happen. The last two haven't gone very well, and the military is already stretched pretty damn thin. Invasions don't stop these types of attacks, either.

Lets say had this gone off and killed many people, damaged the media company of Viacom and maybe more, might it have a silver lining? I remember 9/11, where i was sitting in class, who my teacher was... I remember the info being kept from us but when kids kept getting pulled out of class and a student showed up late we all had to find out. I remember after the attacks, the country seemed to all unite, there was a flag in front of everybody's house... people went to church and prayed, "United We Stand" became our motto again. People supported the troops (Not to say they don't now), wore yellow ribbons, joined the military and devoted them selves to the principles of Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal courage. Even those who didn't enlist lived by those values more than I had ever recalled. Would the deaths of the people in times square, the shock that the country and world would feel when shaken out of their complacency bring back days like that?
    You have the benefit of nostalgia. What you're forgetting is Bush's order to "go shopping", followed by one of the most horrific pieces of legislation in the country's history - the PATRIOT act. Then there was the disjointed invasion of Iraq. And not everybody prayed. There's a significant portion of the American population that doesn't pray at all.

Third and my final, what would the ramifications be in our individual lives from measures that could have gone into place after? I know we've all heard the "show me your papers" thing with AZ but might we be required to have our vehicles scanned, patted down randomly, maybe even internment camps like in WWII all in the name of our well being.
    I doubt that would happen. The Obama administration has been very keen on treating terrorists like criminals instead of some invading army. From a practical perspective, it makes more sense - law enforcement is much better suited to hunt down a specific person than the military. Not to mention, when treating a terrorist like a criminal, you deprive said terrorist of what they crave most - martyrdom.

I know a lot of this, probably much of this sounds far fetched and possibly crazy.
    Wouldn't expect anything else from someone who got "facts" from Glenn Beck.

More than anything I would really like to see what everyone thinks about this, what could it have been?
    It could have been a lot of things, but in order to be a 9/11 style disaster, you'd need someone who actually knows about electronics, physics and chemistry to make the bomb. Alternately, you could have someone trained in bomb construction instead of someone who read an internet copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook. Don't get me wrong, I hope they track down this yokel and lock him away for a long-ass time because he clearly intended to hurt a lot of people, but he lacked the knowledge to successfully carry out his plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihlus View Post
    I really don't think that an attack of this magnitude would be a sufficient reason to start another war but I can definitely see governments blowing things out of proportion because of something like this (like when they banned all liquids from airliners).
    Or how they wanted to do all these things to airport security checkpoints due to the Christmas Day Bomber (the one who never went through any Americans security checkpoints on that trip)

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post

The license plates were traced back to a flea market type trade.

And you're right about the Times Square thing - where he parked likely wasn't as big a concern. My understanding is, the guy was lucky to get a parking spot in Times Square anyway. What he was likely trying to do was kill pedestrians in one of the busiest intersections in the country.

bgi39jsjw0ggg,
    I had total respect for your post.. the only thing I'm trying to do is stimulate a little bit of thought on it... that Is until you decided to throw the insult that you wouldnt expect anything other than crazy from someone who listens to Glenn Beck. Firstly I defy you to prove him wrong, prove what he is saying is nothing more than slander and conspiracy. Please, prove him wrong... im dieing to see it happen. Oh, and if you do then dont pull it off HuffPo either...

I apologize for going off here, but that bugs me when something is supposed to stimulate discussion gets into a petty insult about someones taste in media.

I will now try to boil down your thoughts to what I think. Personally I don't care if he is connected to this via Islam, I don't care if he may have been an ex-Viacom employee... It was brought up in the reporting so I wanted to throw it out there. Islam doesn't in my mind doesn't apply. The suspect is a citizen of the United States and will be tried in a court of law, and unfortinatly the media will get in the way... In a way I feel bad because I know he cant possibly get a fair trial.

As for the possible casualties i like the analogy.. and I'm aware that the device wouldn't cause much if any harm. I suppose I should revise my thoughts to read "If this was a perfect scenario, where the suspect knew what he was doing where might this have ended up"

I am aware of the patriot act, please do not assume I agree with it nor did I support Bush. I support every president no matter who he or she may be. Whether or not I agree with there policies they are the President and I would die to defend them. Being that I had never read the act I don't believe that I could give a meaningful thought on this, may I ask, have you read it and fully understand it? We "knew" who was behind the attacks the first time, my thought on invasion comes with the Pakistani Taliban claiming responsibility for this. Might we act willy nilly again?

I apologize for my exaggeration on everyone praying, I realize now that when talking about this I need to be specific.

I do not believe you got the gist of what I was trying to get at with my point on personal ramifications. What I was trying to get at, again in the "best worst case scenario" how do you think we would have reacted. If you have flown in the US since 9/11 you know how tight security has gotten. The first time I flew was a year or so after 9/11, my mom, neighbor, and I flew out of Philly international. My mom and I were the only ones to go to the terminal and when we decided to eat lunch before we went to the gate we had to go from terminal A all the way to D if i recall correctly to find a restaurant that wasn't behind the check point. Do you think in the best worst case might things turn into something more extreme?

If I haven't clarified myself enough, please let me know and I will go further

I thought it was great on the Daily Show when Jon Stewart said that the major networks (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News) suck at giving us news we need and great at news we really don't need. This whole Time Square thing was stupid.

Pffft.

Muslim Extreamists know how to make bombs.
    Sounds like he got the instructions for his bomb from "Un-wiki" (a un helpfull collection of mis-information)

If it was them/ a "recruit" the bomb would have been far more effective, the US would freak about terrorists, and the entire muslim community would facepalm themselves

Seriously, they belive in all the same peace, dont shoot innocent people, ect ect messages that our bibles preach.

Ofcourse, there are radicals who "interpret" things diffrently, and think that they are supposed to bomb innocent people.