Thread: Nappy Head

Default Nappy Head

Being a Brit, the word Nappy = Diaper for me and nothing else.

Found a few times that on searches the word nappy comes up in the phrase "nappy head" which appears to mean some kind of bad hair situation?

Any idea on the origin of that? Seems to be an American thing.

Nappy generally comes from napkin which describes the kind of garment used to make a nappy.

Well, nappy-headed is kind of a slur for blacks, I suppose. It describes their hair, it's kind of... I dunno, fuzzy I guess. Radio host Don Imus got in trouble a while back for calling some female African American basketball players "Nappy-headed hos." And then there's diaper-head, which is also a derogatory term, usually for Muslims or other folks (Sikhs, maybe?) who wear turbans or other religious wraps on or around their heads. I don't honestly think that I have heard either of these terms spoken aloud, so please don't get the impression that everyone in the US is a bigoted asshat.

Edit: I didn't describe nappy hair very well but Wikipedia came to the rescue again!
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-May-2010 at 11:29.

Elli

Oh wow thanks for asking/explaining this! I also got the phrase 'nappy-headed-hos' on a search a few times and was confused about it. I never got 'round to asking. Thought it might have been derogatory...and it is....but I was curious about it none-the-less.

Im In Australia, and its called a nappy here too... but i prefer to call them diapers. the word nappy just creeps me out a little :P

Quote Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
    Im In Australia, and its called a nappy here too... but i prefer to call them diapers. the word nappy just creeps me out a little :P
    Yeah, what Snaps said!!! All aussies call them nappys, but diaper sounds a little more cool i think!!