Thread: "bartender ill have a diaper...make it a double?"

Default "bartender ill have a diaper...make it a double?"

I was reading something online about how to punish a bad baby. of course it said a light tap on the diaper and stuff similar take a toy away ect...however it also said to put another diaper on them, once I read that I ran my mind wild trying to think about how that would be considered punishment. Is it punishing? if so what is the effect what is suppose to happen that would make it punishment? make them waddle around in a bulkier diaper?

does anybody know?

Elli

I read baby magazines a lot, as well as parenting books. The only legit thing I've ever come across about putting a second nappy on a baby was with one Mum who reported that her older baby would pull off a dirty nappy during the night, and in doing so, smear poop on themselves, their clothes, their cot etc. Her personal solution was to first put a nappy on as usual, then put a second one on over the top, back to front, so the toddler couldn't grab the tapes. Obviously the Mum also aimed to get to her child and change them as soon as possible too. It was a practical solution for her, not a punishment for the child.

As a punishment, I see no benefit or reason to double up a toddler's nappy. What were you reading?! *laughs in mock surprise* I think the writers of that were misled to say the least. I'm not knocking your curiosity, but I'd definitely recommend you find a better source of info unless you were intending to look for bad parenting advice!

I'm not one of these people who think kids can do no wrong. I believe they need discipline. But I really dislike the phrase, 'bad baby' or 'bad child' because it creates this idea of the child being fundamentally in the wrong, as though they are conspiring to plot choas, a bit like Stewie from Family Guy! I'd rather just talk about the child as having misbehaved.

With babies, people often talk about them being a 'good baby' while what they really mean is an 'easy baby'. The baby who cries more or is irritable is not being naughty, they are just more needy. The baby who tends to more contented and smiley is not being 'good'. All babies will cry and make a fuss when unhappy or uncomfortable and it's nothing to do with morals.

Second, as much as I believe firm discipline is essential, I dislike the classic use of the word 'punish' and what it entails, especially in young children and toddlers. Smacking (even gently) is an issue of it's own. But wherever the 'punishment' or consequence is removed from the misbehaviour and/or is prolonged and is not useful in rectifying the act, it's not really effective or appropriate.

A firm 'No, we don't...(pull hair)...because...(it hurts others)' is probably enough for a baby. They don't yet know what's wrong to do. When they do know, then some other action is necessary, such as two-minutes 'time out' with an explanation so that the consequence isn't just random. E.g. 'You pulled her hair. That hurt her. You must sit here until I tell you can come back and play.' Then follow through, maybe ask the child to say sorry, and then the adults forget it happened. Or a child could be (calmly) asked to help pick up the toys they threw everywhere, thus learning there was an outcome to their actions. Picking up the toys yourself, but punishing the child with something that's nothing to do with the situation is confusing and possibly misses out on the chance for the child to learn.

Making a child wear unusual levels of clothing is not teaching the child anything, and is essentially the parents getting revenge. Sure parents get angry with their children, that's natural. But I'd think that if parents get satisfaction from a 'punishment' they give, that might be a time to check that the 'punishment' (or consequence) truely is the best for the child's moral and emotional learning and not just a release for their own anger.

Sorry for the lecture Toddy, I'm responding to the writer of that article you read rather than you though.

personally...

there is disciplining your kid, and then there is disciplining your kid JUST to be a douchebag about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    As a punishment, I see no benefit or reason to double up a toddler's nappy. What were you reading?!
    Yeah what was it and what were those writers thinking? After all...a second diaper today would only make it about as thick as the diapers from 10 to 15 years ago (The good old diaper days...) that's not a punishment as far as I can see

-Gus

Quote Originally Posted by Elli View Post
    Sorry for the lecture Toddy, I'm responding to the writer of that article you read rather than you though.
    none taken I was just confused on how it would be punishment. I completly agree with everything you have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Angusmac View Post
    Yeah what was it and what were those writers thinking? After all...a second diaper today would only make it about as thick as the diapers from 10 to 15 years ago (The good old diaper days...) that's not a punishment as far as I can see
    lol exactly that's not punishment if someone doubled down on me I don't think I would be complaining...hehe I don't think what I read was reliable information but I just had to ask out of curiosity maybe I was missing something cause I couldnt wrap my head around how it would be a way to discipline a child