Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why vegetarians should (or shouldnt ) be force fed lard

Default why vegetarians should (or shouldnt ) be force fed lard

LLOYDIAN OPINIONS: Vegetarianism

im only kidding this guy (an evolutionary psycologist is contending why people who take up vegetarianism as a 'lifestyle choice' are silly and debunks many of the reasons people become vegetarian

have fun debating.

LilLillyKitten

Eh, I'd rather be a pescatarian...

I have no issues with someone becoming a vegetarian, it's their body and their choice so they should be allowed to put whatever they want/don't want in their bodies providing they don't make me feel bad for liking a burger.
    That's when i get annoyed about vegetarianism, I want to eat meat and no one will change my mind, I shouldn't have to feel guilty because I'm doing what man has done for as long as we've been about.

"vegetarianism should be unlawful below a certain age". I don't have any specific comment about this, I just thought it was kind of funny.

I'm one of those people who LIVES off of meat. I'm fine with vegetarians. Sure. Your body, your choice. I live by that. But I hate it when they go off on me for eating a big fat rare steak. My mother, a vegetarian, would always say: "Nei! That came from a LIVING CREATURE THAT GOD MADE." And I would reply with: "God made some pretty delicious creatures, then....." Yeah, thank goodness I have some of my own money now, since my mumsy refuses to buy meat unless it's lunchmeat. And well-done meat + Nei's stomach = ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH OH TOILET U IZ MAH BEST BUDDY. (It's weird and wild like that, lol.)

Also, lol @ that article. I love listening to people tell me that meat is 'unnatural'. I just say "Animal Planet" to them. I grew up with cats killing mice and birds all the time, and my dad would just say "Meh, that's life. Things die so other things can live. And one day, you'll die and the worms will eat you so your body can be made into soil, and then the soil will grow grass, and then the bunnies will eat the grass, and then Mr. Fox will rip the bunnies' throats out." And, at the tender age of 6, I understood that and took a big bite outta my hamburger.

LilLillyKitten

Ok, after having read more of the article, particularly the last bit, I find it rather outrageous, really. Although it's true that there are self-righteous vegetarians out there, vegetarianism isn't some kind of illness of the mind... I've run across some rather silly forms of justification, but it hasn't stricken me in the same way than the author of that article...

Butterfly Mage

While I am a vegetarian for religious reasons, I would not force that diet on a child that is still growing. I think a vegetarian diet is fine for a fully-grown adult whose body and brains have finished developing. But human beings are omnivores by nature, so it's vital for children to have a diet that will allow them to be as healthy as possible during their formative years. I'd say that age 21 is probably the youngest age that someone should become vegetarian.

My choice has a lot more to do with my religion than an notion that being vegetarian is healthier. Of course, it does allow me to side-step a lot of food poisoning.

I have a number of Vegi friends, even a few Vegan (though that is a little strict for me), though I am more than happy to eat meat, or hold out for a single meal for my pals comfort. It is their choice, just like it is my choice to chose what form of underclothing I want, in this case diaper.

However I also have a Great issue with forced Vegetarianism of children. I know that may be morally “wrong” for the parent, but if they open that child’s mouth they find carnivorous teeth for a reason. We are genetically omnivorous; we are made to eat both. There are things your child needs to grow healthy that they can only get from a well balance diet.

And do not try and tell me Soy anything will replace it. The original studies were done on people that use soy as a condiment in Asia, not those who replace other foods with it. Soy has been linked to increased allergies such as Peanut and strawberry the top killer allergies. So before you start shoving soy and tofu down a kid’s through think about the long term effects. You can get foods with no pesticides if you are worried about poisons, but when it comes to meat they need it, as they also need REAL Dairy and other animal byproducts. So if you are a Vegi, I tip my hat, you have more will power then I. But do your child a long term favor and let them grow healthy and then give them a choice once they are of a healthy age to change over.

Mako

I was a vegetarian from 14 until I was 20. Not for any moral, social, etc. reason. Because it squicked me at the time. It wasn't rational, I didn't claim it to be, but it was my choice. I wasn't a strict vegetarian, I just didn't eat flesh but didn't mind animal byproducts that were hidden such a gelatin. I eventually learned to stop being as creeped out again, but I still can not eat meat off the bone.

Now I skipped many of the arguments that I knew the answer and stopped at this one.

I became a veggie simply because I don’t like meat.

At first this might seem like the most reasonable of arguments. People are different. Some people can eat aniseed and keep a smile on their face. Perhaps a person might genuinely not like the taste of meat. If so, then it would be unreasonable to drag them into the street and force feed them lard. On reflection, though, it doesn’t quite add up.

People like the same things. People prefer comfort to pain, temperate warmth to bitter cold, kindness to cruelty, strength to weakness, fun to boredom, laughter to grief. A species that evolved to eat a mainly meat diet will also have evolved to like meat. We do. We even prefer good meat to bad meat, cooked meat to raw. Indeed, anyone who eats meat and enjoys it will know that meat is the most gloriously delicious thing there is. It has a peerlessly nice texture, and a great taste. More, after a vegetarian meal, a person misses out on the protein rush that meat gives. This, I’m told, is one of the cues which switches off the feeling of hunger (others are the physical feeling of a full belly, and a steep rise in blood sugar levels). Consequently, vegetarian meals are never as satisfying. It is very unlikely indeed that a person would really not like meat. Further, there are many types of meat, and it is even more unlikely that one person would dislike all of these tastes by coincidence.

The meals these people do eat often imitate meat, and meaty things. This does not match the argument that they do not like meat. If a lack of liking were the only reason, then they would have no objection to eating meals with a little bland meat in them. A little mince in a stew wouldn’t bother them in the least, but strangely, it bothers them a lot.

The people who claim that they don’t like meat just happen to be predominantly of certain predictable sorts: females, trendies, liberals, politically confused, collectors of allergies, urbanites, dungaree-wearers, etcetera. While it could be coincidence that these people also happen to be the people who happen not to like meat, the chances against this are ten to the power of my overdraft to one against. There must be another reason.
    If the rest of his arguments look like this, he's probably wrong in quite a lot of area's.

"I LOOOOVE meat, humans are naturall omnivores, thus they must be lying."

He NEVER answers the charge, he just claims that they're liars and trying to be trendy. Well humans also evolved to reproduce, that doesn't explain asexual people. He's using entirely subjective and assumption based reasoning that's entirely unscientific. He then goes on to attempt to discount it by shoe horning everyone into strict vegan diets and ignores the multi-layers of vegetarianism.

Lastly

Most vegetarians are women. In Britain, a person is doubly likely to suffer from vegetarianism if he is female.
    Dude's a fucking moron. Like I said I didn't read the above stuff at I knew the answers, but what I did read was splattered with ignorance and sexism.

Mesmerale

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I was a vegetarian from 14 until I was 20. Not for any moral, social, etc. reason. Because it squicked me at the time. It wasn't rational, I didn't claim it to be, but it was my choice. I wasn't a strict vegetarian, I just didn't eat flesh but didn't mind animal byproducts that were hidden such a gelatin. I eventually learned to stop being as creeped out again, but I still can not eat meat off the bone.

Now I skipped many of the arguments that I knew the answer and stopped at this one.

If the rest of his arguments look like this, he's probably wrong in quite a lot of area's.

"I LOOOOVE meat, humans are naturall omnivores, thus they must be lying."

He NEVER answers the charge, he just claims that they're liars and trying to be trendy. Well humans also evolved to reproduce, that doesn't explain asexual people. He's using entirely subjective and assumption based reasoning that's entirely unscientific. He then goes on to attempt to discount it by shoe horning everyone into strict vegan diets and ignores the multi-layers of vegetarianism.

Lastly

Dude's a fucking moron. Like I said I didn't read the above stuff at I knew the answers, but what I did read was splattered with ignorance and sexism.
    Yeah, I got bored with the article pretty early in and ended up skimming with the lightest bit of actual reading here and there..

Seems like this guy is an idiot who doesn't quite understand the art of persuasive writing, and doesn't know how to proof read...

~~

As for my own beliefs about this...

It's a personal choice about one's own body, but there are also instances where intervention would be allowed.

If a person has decided to renounce any certain type of food, I will recognize that to be his/her own choice, so long as he/she makes the proper additions to their lifestyle so that he/she obtains the nutrients that will be lost from renouncing that type of food.

Basically.. If someone gives up meat, they have to make sure that they have an alternate source of protein. So long as they're ensuring that their body has the proper nutrients and such, I'm fine with whatever they want to do. But, if a person gives up some type of food, and then refuses to find that alternate source of what they body needs, I consider it to be a mental problem, which requires intervention so that the person doesn't kill themselves.

Furthermore, like I said, this is a personal choice. By that, I mean that a person shouldn't be forcing the choice onto their children. Yes, I know that it brings up a huge moral issue about whether it's "right" to not eat meat yourself, only to feed it to your kids, but whatever.

If anything, go out one day, give your kid a hamburger, and let the kid decide then.

Or, for some other sort of compromise: Don't keep meat at your house, but if the kid goes out with a friend and the friend's parents, the the kid shouldn't be restricted by any vegetarian rules about what he/she can eat while they're out.

~~~

That's about it, really..

Oh, and don't force your choices on other people. That's just annoying.

I became a veggie simply because I donít like meat.

At first this might seem like the most reasonable of arguments. People are different. Some people can eat aniseed and keep a smile on their face. Perhaps a person might genuinely not like the taste of meat. If so, then it would be unreasonable to drag them into the street and force feed them lard. On reflection, though, it doesnít quite add up.

People like the same things. People prefer comfort to pain, temperate warmth to bitter cold, kindness to cruelty, strength to weakness, fun to boredom, laughter to grief. A species that evolved to eat a mainly meat diet will also have evolved to like meat. We do. We even prefer good meat to bad meat, cooked meat to raw. Indeed, anyone who eats meat and enjoys it will know that meat is the most gloriously delicious thing there is. It has a peerlessly nice texture, and a great taste. More, after a vegetarian meal, a person misses out on the protein rush that meat gives. This, Iím told, is one of the cues which switches off the feeling of hunger (others are the physical feeling of a full belly, and a steep rise in blood sugar levels). Consequently, vegetarian meals are never as satisfying. It is very unlikely indeed that a person would really not like meat. Further, there are many types of meat, and it is even more unlikely that one person would dislike all of these tastes by coincidence.
    yeah, that's a pretty lame argument. i'm a vegetarian not for any moralistic reasons but because i really, truly detest the taste of meat. different people have different preferences. that guy is basically saying "i like meat so EVERYBODY ELSE MUST LIKE IT TOO, AND IF THEY SAY THEY DON'T THEY'RE LYING TO ME!!"

if you ask me, that guy is even more obnoxious than those snooty vegetarians and vegans who go around trying to make omnivores feel guilty.