Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might lose another job due to the way I am

Default Might lose another job due to the way I am

I recently got a part time job at an office supply store. I been working for them for about four weeks now and I was taken off the schedule this week due to my productivity being so low.I enjoy the job but I suffer from a slight learning disability as well as a physical disability that prevents me from joining the military (the physical disability not the learning disability). I possess more of an introvert personality. I cannot explain things very well in person but I can write very well. I was hired on as a cashier and I guess they received several customer complaints on me even though I don't feel I did anything to provoke those complaints. I tried to be friendly to the customers and did everything I could to ensure they received the customer service they rightfully deserved. I've been told that I either look mad or tired all the time so that may have something to do with it.

The whole reason I wanted to get into retail is so I can become more outgoing and not be the quiet and shy person I used to be. Due to my introvert personality that might be easier said than done. Sales is definitely not something I could do for a career unless it involves firearms which I am pretty knowledgeable about.

I lost several other jobs in the past due to my physical limitations and/or my slowed ability to learn new tasks. On just about every job interview I've gone through my mind has gone blank, and I know for a fact I think and talk better in writing. I been brainstorming ideas on how I can utilize my strong writing skills to make money but haven't figured it out yet.

At this point I am running out of options. All the jobs I am qualified to do I am usually physically unable to do them or the manager(s) feel I am too slow at grasping new tasks and I end up getting let go. I was born with cerebral palsy, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am going back to school to be a medical biller and coder so I can hopefully get the hip replacement I will eventually need without paying an insane amount for it then I'd like to pursue a career in law enforcement.

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me but I'm lost at this point. I did recently start going back to church for some spiritual support since I've lost my trust and faith in mankind and I've become a more positive individual. I just feel like I'm not being given the chance sometimes. Anyway sorry for the long post, that's all I had to say.

You said not to be sorry, but this is pretty sad. I am kinda sorry you have to be in that situation. But I guess I can only wish you good luck in finding a career right now that suits your needs. Good luck, friend.

Thanks for the sympathy... not something I get everyday since people who have met me in person get the wrong impression. I know there is a job out there that I can do and would enjoy doing, I just haven't found it yet.

I wish u the best of luck as well...I know its tough catching a break when you have disabilities...I have several my self including a moderate learning disability...and putting my activism to use as a board member of a local disability rights and advocasy organization had further opened my eyes to the constant barriers people in the disability community face especially in getting and keeping gainful employments...sadly most employers with just a little accomadation could keep you on and work with your disabilities...but most don't want to take the time....keep looking my will find something you can do....and if u use messengers and are looking for support add me on yahoo msn or email and messenger info is listed on my is my cell for texting...ohhh and I'm glad u have looked into a house of worship...I pray you have found a welcoming non judgemental also a christian my self

You might be better off finding a job in retail that is behind the scenes, I have poor people skills myself and I would feel more comfortable doing something out of the public eye or dealing with the public directly.

I feel for you. I was in line at our local Krogers (grocery store). Bagging groceries was a guy who sings in my Praise band at church. He has CP, but has his college degree, and sang in their touring choir. We feel he is a blessing from God when he sings with us.

Anyway, the woman in front of me turns to me and say, I wish I didn't get in this line. I don't like that guy bagging. He's retarded you know. I was so furious I was speechless, which you know is unusual for me. I wanted to say something to her, but I didn't want my friend to hear me and feel bad, because he hadn't heard her.

I makes me mad that the public has no compassion for others. I can't believe that this woman was perfect, but apparently she thought she was.

I hope you will be able to find a source of employment using your writing skills. Going back to college sounds like a good idea. For one thing, they could direct you in a course of study that would lead you into the direction of employment that would be good for you. Often they have job placement programs.

I know it's not writing, but depending on your financial conditions and/or locations/job prospects, have you thought about working in a warehouse? Very little, if any face-to-face social interactions back there.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    I know it's not writing, but depending on your financial conditions and/or locations/job prospects, have you thought about working in a warehouse? Very little, if any face-to-face social interactions back there.
    Well yeah I have but unfortunately I also suffer from a slight physical disability that will eventually require a 3rd surgery called hip replacement. I cannot lift heavy things continuously without my left hip bothering me.

I myself have a Learning Disability it is linked to me have Neurofibromatosis type 1, or NF 1 for short. Having an LD does make it hard to find a good job, I have learned to deal with it. It might also be what has lead me to the being an AB, as the stress of every day life needs to be released some how. Wearing diapers adnd acting childish is my way of doing that. I enlisted in the Army Reserve and go as far as the enlistment processing, but during the physical the medical dude noticed my café-au-lait spots on my upper body. I am 24 and have lived with me LD all my life, it made school hard, but I do quite well with many other thing, working with computers for example.

I have had jobs that I did quite well at, but they were seasonal, there jobs were moving irrigation pipe for a research facility ran by the Idaho Dpt. of Agriculture, working in potato harvest, and even driving a sugar beet truck (these thing weight 20,000 lbs. while empty, 40-50,000 lbs. with a full load.) I am currently unemployed from my last job, working in a Thrift Store because of the economy. Though I am set up to have my pipe moving job back within a week.