Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone seen the movie Shoot-em-up?

Default anyone seen the movie Shoot-em-up?

Ok not To long ago me and Kay recently rented the movie "Shoot em up"

Personally I thought the movie was ok, despite several exaggerated scenes (shooting a Merry-go-round To spin it for example XD)
    and total over use of guns!
    Seriously,The dude used a gun to cut the umbilical cord! XD
    and theres alot more

But really what made me want to post this is theres a BIG reference to the Whole adult baby scene In the beginning of the movie after he rescues this girl

He walks into this bed room all styled up in red velvet
    and theres her laying on a bed and this blond guy wearing nothing but a cloth diapie on top of her sucking on her boob,
    The main character yanks him off of her saying something like "Play times Over Boy" and he Runs out of the room and off scene,

then of course theres some Different colored baby bottles sitting in a row next to the bed, Oddly made of glass cause the dude shoots a few of em to coax the girl into talking, apparently she has an attachment to em :P
    but from what it looks like, she was playing the mommy err nanny role :P

Me and Kay were interested in that scene and thought it was kinda odd to see the whole thing put in a movie :P

I just wanted to point that out and see if anyone else who has seen the movie notice this, and for those who haven't just a heads up :P
    BTW the baby in the movie is named Oliver and it seems the story of the movie is like, based on The oliver movies, the dude even mentions that "Oliver Twist" Is his favorite movie :P

Tho One of my favorite parts in the movie is when the guy complains about how the rich dude in the BMW is driving so he races up and smashes him into a parked car,, GAWd I wish I could do that ^.^;

Just Thought I'd Point that out, Hope I didn't spoil anything for those who haven't watched it O.o;

[Edit] XD Look at this review page I totally agree with the review and the picture above Proves my Point on the baby bottles XD http://wwwX.cinematical.com/2007/09/07/review-shoot-em-up/
    Last edited by Bobkitty; 21-Apr-2008 at 06:06.

Shoot em up, for what it is, is a kickass movie. It does what it sets out to do perfectly, which is to be an action movie that's going against the trend of action flicks nowadays being more talk than shooting.

Sure, it's one of those movies that you need to suspend belief on (He removed the umbilical cord by shooting it?), but that's the great thing about it. You don't watch it for the riveting narrative or complex characters, you watch it to see shit get blown up for an hour and a half. Which of course, is the main thing movie critics can't grasp. Not all movies are "gone with the wind", and it's a shame that they can't just sit back and enjoy shit happening on a screen instead of going "That wouldn't work in reality! this movie sux!"

Humphrey Sez: Wasn't you supposed to talk about the bottle scene?

Erm, oh yeah....

It's got Paul Giamatti in it, which means I want to see it -- I just haven't done so yet.

I've heard much like what Kraiden said -- that, for what it does, it does well, and does not presume to be anything else. I love movies that have a lot of intelligence in them ... but I also love movies that have an extreme lack thereof, which allow me to suspend my disbelief and live outside of my life for about ninety minutes.

I'll be excited to see this movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    I'll be excited to see this movie!
    See it.

Just for the gunfight while freefalling from a plane shooting guys who skydive after you.

Yes, it's that badass.

Nope, I never saw this movie, but sounds like a good one. That I can recall I can not remember one movie that had an infantilism scene(s) in it, seems I only see that stuff on television shows. Anyways I will have to rent this movie, since it has had such good reviews here.

I liked it...I didn't know before I watched it, but it was meant to be an unbelievable/exaggerated movie...Obviously someone doesn't have those kind of gun skills (yet)...But it's still pretty awesome...And when I saw the baby scene I was like "well what do you know..."...But I didn't think they did it that well...Or I didn't like it that much since it had that guy breastfeeding, and that's just not my thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kraiden View Post
    Shoot em up, for what it is, is a kickass movie. It does what it sets out to do perfectly, which is to be an action movie that's going against the trend of action flicks nowadays being more talk than shooting.

Sure, it's one of those movies that you need to suspend belief on (He removed the umbilical cord by shooting it?), but that's the great thing about it. You don't watch it for the riveting narrative or complex characters, you watch it to see shit get blown up for an hour and a half. Which of course, is the main thing movie critics can't grasp. Not all movies are "gone with the wind", and it's a shame that they can't just sit back and enjoy shit happening on a screen instead of going "That wouldn't work in reality! this movie sux!"

Humphrey Sez: Wasn't you supposed to talk about the bottle scene?

Erm, oh yeah....

I like what you said here and I happen to actually agree :P
    I also agree that, Yes The Critics have No taste for these kinda movies that are "different" in a way,

I mean,for a good example Look at the movie, The Boondock Saints
    Which without question was an awesome Movie Of epic proportions!
    not Only was the whole idea great but The scenes in it were so Fun to watch,and the dialog was priceless
    but if you look at the critics reviews they hated it, Critics have no taste,
    why the hell are there critics like that anyway, these people act as if they Know what the public wants >_< Yeah maybe the 100,000 people that would be described as Normal, But they miss on the people who see it from a different angle, and have a different idea on how they see entertainment in a movie, It really is sometimes unnecessary to use spoken Dialog scenes to Show the story of a movie, and Movies like Shoot Em' Up Show Just how well you can show a story through non stop action
    even if you have to bend the reality of situations to show it
    it actually also shows pretty some pretty creative ideas, which I was impressed with even Tho I knew it would never happen, Its Like Freaking James Bond Looney Tunes with a twist.. Epic!

Oh and another one of my favorite scenes was at the end where he used a carrot to help him shoot the gun with his broken Fingers
    alot of the things in the movie look like stuff I'd probably Come up with XD

Boondock Saints is an awesome movie too.

Loved Shoot Em Up. Hilarious with the carrots.
    Was brilliant because it didn't even try to be realistic and made sure you knew it too so you I never even thought of taking the piss out of it while watching it like I do with some movies such as Windtalkers (Nicholas Cage... the yanks have amazing gun skills and the Japs just charge in without even shooting back or trying to fight.. they just die... Worst one was when one guy, who was injured, gunned down 5 guys at range with 5 bullets from a pistol with one hand, laying on the ground on his back with his eyes half closed)

Shoot Em Up is one of my favourite movies this year.