Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota man charged in Ontario teen's suicide

Default Minnesota man charged in Ontario teen's suicide

In precedent-setting case, aiding suicide charges laid in Brampton teen?s death - thestar.com

William Melchert-Dinkel has been charged with two counts of aiding suicide for his alleged role in the deaths of Kajouji and a 32-year-old British man, Mark Drybrough.

The 47-year-old father is accused of encouraging, advising and forming online suicide pacts with each of them.

The troubling case, which has garnered international attention, is believed to be the first time in North America that assisted suicide laws have been applied in such a way and, if successful, may pave the way for future prosecutions.

Melchert-Dinkel now faces up to 30 years in prison and $60,000 in fines if convicted.
    What happened? This guy posed as a female nurse in a chatroom and told people to commit suicide, gave them advice on how to do it, and also entered suicide pacts with them. So now he's facing charges. For what? Assisted suicide.

My opinion? Could I be charged with theft if I told a stranger over the internet in another country to go steal something one day?

If someone's depressed enough to want to commit suicide, I think they'll do it if they think it's their only option -- they don't need any outside influence. to convince them.

For Kajouji’s father, the news offered some comfort.

Reached at his Brampton home, Mohamed Kajouji said the investigation had gone on so long, he was worried no charges would ever be laid.

“It won’t bring Nadia back, but it is a relief,” he said. “I miss her so much, and not a day goes by when I don’t think about it.”
    Dude, she was depressed and then she committed suicide. The guy didn't murder your daughter. In fact, they never even met!

Yeah, he might not be all there. He admitted he has a fascination with death and dieing. But I don't think he should be charged.

If you were to inform someone on the best way to rob a store knowing that they had willful intent to use your advice, could you not be charged as an accessory to the crime?

I think this needs to have it's own category as a law, tbh. It's not quite murder, but I don't think it is actually legal. 30 years for this seems extreme. He didn't technically DO anything other than talk.

Should the father find solace in the fact that he was arrested? To a degree, sure. The guy did sort of help his daughter kill herself. On the other hand, he can't solely blame this guy for his daughter's death. Ultimately it was her decision.

EDIT: And he's clearly a creep.

Mako

I'm not sure how I stand on this as both have valid points. I don't think this could/should be used in precedent and that these situation require it to be taken on a case by case basis.

Depending on the community, context, etc. I believe there may be some blame to place on the person who did this. But if they were in a snuff fantasy community, then I could not really fault him at all.

You all remember the case a few years back with the teen girl who killed herself because the mother of another girl set up a fake facebook account posing as a boy and then tormented this kill telling her she was no good and should just kill herself.

I think they got charged in the case.

Suicide of Megan Meier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know exactly the same but it did involve lying and pushing someone to kill themselves.

Just food for thought.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    You all remember the case a few years back with the teen girl who killed herself because the mother of another girl set up a fake facebook account posing as a boy and then tormented this kill telling her she was no good and should just kill herself.

I know exactly the same but it did involve lying and pushing someone to kill themselves.

Just food for thought.
    Read your sources.

"Drew was indicted and convicted in 2008 on the matter, but then acquitted in 2009."

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post

Just food for thought.
    That's different, though. The mother harrassed that girl endlessly through the internet.

In this case, William Melchert-Dinkel, a real nurse, posed as a female nurse in an online chatroom that was for people experiencing thoughts of depression. He basically told them, "Hey, if you're gonna commit suicide, I'll do it too. I'm a nurse so I can tell you the easiest ways to do it, and I can also show you how to properly tie a noose via webcam," ect.

He wanted people to commit suicide for his own amusement and tried to help them do it though words and talking and most likely gave them motivational speeches like "Your a slut to this world and it will be a better place without you"..

though when a nurse enters a chatroom and suggests people kill themselves, you should be able to realize something isn't right and should ignore the person... because clearly the person posing and suggesting suicide is a fucking dumbass.

In Canada at least, counselling or assisting another person to commit suicide is crime on its own. Section 241 of the Criminal Code reads:

Every one who:
    a) counsels a person to commit suicide, or
    b) aids or abets a person to commit suicide,
    whether suicide ensues or not, is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

What actually qualifies as counselling to commit suicide or aiding or abetting suicide will be determined by the courts. This case won't be valuable as a precedent as far as being able to convict someone for doing either of these things; we already know that these are illegal under the Criminal Code. Where the case is valuable as a precedent would be in deciding (or not deciding) that posting suicide instructions on the internet (or in a chat room, or whatever) counts as counselling to commit suicide.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    He wanted people to commit suicide for his own amusement and tried to help them do it though words and talking and most likely gave them motivational speeches like "Your a slut to this world and it will be a better place without you"..

though when a nurse enters a chatroom and suggests people kill themselves, you should be able to realize something isn't right and should ignore the person... because clearly the person posing and suggesting suicide is a fucking dumbass.
    It wasn't like that. What he was doing is pretending to be suicidal himself under the alias of a young female nurse, comforting the people with their thoughts of suicide and encouraging them to hang themselves on webcam. If it were just trolling, it would be like the previously mentioned case of harassment into suicide. This was him getting to know the person, preying on their emotions, and coaxing them into suicide with instructions how and a promise they would too.