Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Tis the season to riot, to overturn cars, and get stupid, act like morons and alienate yourselves from the townies...

Default 'Tis the season to riot, to overturn cars, and get stupid, act like morons and alienate yourselves from the townies...

It's that time of year again, when the college kids in my town decide to get stupid and have a little block party that attracts thousands. Last year, it turned into a riot, and the college kids are looking forward to starting their drinking as early as 7am and drinking all day.

Now, may I ask, WHY get that stupid? WHY drink that much? Why get into a fight with the cops, and risk your future for drinking too damn much? Why risk alienating yourselves further from townies like myself who are really tired of this crap, tired of the annual idiocy that comes from college kids, and why people like me wish for Martial Law in my home town when the university is in session.

Me, I always side with the cops and not the kids, because I know most of the university cops and they are good friends of me. I hate annual drinking parties, all they do is give people a right to get stupid. To me, it's damn wrong. It's not appropriate and all it does is alienate the college kids worse with the townies like myself.

My town has had a history of riots, starting in 1970 with one bad one known as May 4th. I hate idiocy. Sure I drink but at least I am responsible about it because I hate stupidity and I know my limits with booze.

WildThing121675

You always complain about this stuff every single year too and always act surprised when it does happen... You live in Kent, Ohio... stop acting like its a big deal.. since there it's not.

At least the national guard doesn't have to come in anymore.

LOL. True. At least we don't have that. I think my problem is the fact that I get tired of it. It always seems to happen. I think one reason I take it kinda personally is cause I am friends with a lot of the university cops and some are like my best friends. Plus, I have never understood the need to get that stupid drunk.

WildThing121675

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing121675 View Post
    LOL. True. At least we don't have that. I think my problem is the fact that I get tired of it. It always seems to happen. I think one reason I take it kinda personally is cause I am friends with a lot of the university cops and some are like my best friends. Plus, I have never understood the need to get that stupid drunk.

WildThing121675
    I never understood why people drink at all.. Everything I tried taste semi-horrible if not down right disgusting. The only possible reason I can see why people drink is to relax, however it makes them different, more willing to do crap they normally wouldn't do.. like flip cars, riot and act more moronic then they normally are.

I am not surprised you are tired off it.. and I know the suggestion to move is useless since I know your situation sort of well. I'm sorry you got to deal with idiotic students, but we all got to deal with some shit we don't like.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people go to college or university for the wrong reasons. You get all kinds of kids that are just there because their parents want them to or whatever, and they seem to miss the point about being there to learn (don't get me started on athletic scholarships...). Then you hear about all these parties and police call-outs and suddenly someone getting 0 on a calculus midterm without being absent makes sense to me. I'm a university student and I can't stand people that people pull this kind of rubbish. At least here, there's not that many students, and it's bloody freezing most of the school year, so there's not a lot of insane riot-level parties.

Well, I survived first year which should mean that most of my classes from now on included people that give a damn. I also really never understood the whole partying thing either. Alcohol taste horrible and (if consumed in quantity) makes you feel horrible (not to mention the smell is just bad), so why the heck consume it?

But I agree whit komodo, many people go to university when they are not ready for it. If you don't want to go to college, by all means take a year off to work and figure out where you want to end up in life. Failing to plan is planing to fail, after all (and that's really true in university).

first, alcohol is societies natural social lubricant and, as ou observed lowers your inhibitions, it makes guys less nervous to talk to the girl theyve been eying etc. No you dont need it, but when done decently, combined with some good music, and you have one VERY fun night ive had several at uni at the uni pub with the jukebox going etc

that said, alcohol IS an aquired tasteand some bers especially are not very tasty, I myself prefer fruity drinks like wine, cider as well as liquors mixed with soft drinks like rum and coke

Some sticklers in this thread that I think need to lighten up a bit...

At least this year, the rain seems to be keeping things under control. My only problem is that even though I drink, I don't drink to complete, total stupidity levels like the college kids. Plus, I never understood starting to drink at 10am. Never understood that.

WildThing121675