Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Problem!

Default Major Problem!

okay, well i have hit a fairly large bump in the road of college. I was going to attend western michigan university, that is until I had checked fafsa and western aid package they gave me and such, bottom line is that i will not be going there, since I have no aid coming to me and I would have to take out a roughly 80K loan to go there for 4 years.

now i am back at square one, the square that I was at when I was a junior. I have no college as of right that I am attending. i am delegating between wayne state(a local college) and a few community colleges, but am in the process of having to meet with counselors there and see what classes i have to take at each of these schools so that i can eventually transfer these credits to another more prominent institution.

What the hell should I do??? I have met with my HS counselor and she told me to go meet with other counselors at schools i am looking at to see what they say. I have like a week or two to start to finalize all of this.

Again I ask you...what should I do? Please give me some helpful insight.

Is there a reason why you were planning on only going to ONE university? Everything we've always been told is "have a back-up. Have a back-up for that back-up. Then make sure you have a back-up for that". Basically, we were told to apply everywhere that we could afford that had a course we liked or something similar and make sure would had a safety school. Like 10% higher than was required and bonuses and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Is there a reason why you were planning on only going to ONE university? Everything we've always been told is "have a back-up. Have a back-up for that back-up. Then make sure you have a back-up for that". Basically, we were told to apply everywhere that we could afford that had a course we liked or something similar and make sure would had a safety school. Like 10% higher than was required and bonuses and such.
    I applied and got accepted to 4 other schools, of which either i don't like a lot or i cannot afford to go to. Western was the one in which I felt comfortable at and saw opportunity there and around the campus, where as else where I do not get that feeling.

Error404

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I applied and got accepted to 4 other schools, of which either i don't like a lot or i cannot afford to go to. Western was the one in which I felt comfortable at and saw opportunity there and around the campus, where as else where I do not get that feeling.
    So, the major problem isn't that you didn't get into college, more that you're being stupidly picky about how you receive your education.

Seriously dude, you need to consider your options, not going somewhere that can expand your future just because you don't like it is on par with not eating something tasty because it looks bad.

Never know if you never try.

At the end of the day, if you don't like a college but can afford it, then suck it up and go there.

I ended up at the college that threw money at me. I wasn't thrilled at first about the fact that I had to turn down some of the biggest name colleges in the country, and I wasn't thrilled initially about the college at which I'm at. Quickly however, I found that the campus was plenty beautiful with a great recreational center, I found peers on my level and above, I met professors that were brilliant and all but actually begging for students to get involved in their research, and I discovered that O-Chem 2 requires effort regardless of where you take it.

The thing is that a college education doesn't differ much based on where you take it. The big things that more expensive and more prestigious schools offer are better connections and more impressive non-essentials (better study abroad opportunities, more accomplished professors teaching classes that a PhD student could teach perfectly well enough).

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by being picky - get your education at the price you can afford. If that means going somewhere you don't love, then so be it. If that means taking 2 years at community college, then so be it. College in America is stupidly expensive for the middle class.

(I cannot bear to ignore saying this, even though I realize that it's not helpful: it's fairly easy to estimate to a useful range what kind of financial aid packages you can get between the government and both need-based and merit-based aid from the colleges themselves. You should have seen this coming and should not be in crisis mode right now.)

Many state universities are excellent. Here in Virginia we have UVA, and excellent college, as well as Virginia Tech, a great school for engineering. We have James Madison University which Time magazine called a little Duke University. All of these universities cost the bare minimum of college tuition and board. I think you get out of a college that which you put in.

Once you receive your undergraduate degree, you could go to a more prestigious school for your Masters. My daughter received both her Master's and her Doctorate free of charge because she graduated with her undergraduate degree, Cum Laud. She qualified for a teacher assistant program, taught as a grad student, and received her education as payment.

My son in law went to MIT as a Sloan Fellow after graduating from Virginia Tech. He completed his Masters in Business in one year. It can be done.

Wayne State in Nebraksa?

To answer your question: Just pick one that you can afford. College is what you make it. Even if you don't initially feel like it's right, or that you're at home, it will become your home. The fact is that most colleges are pretty good. If you get in with the right friends and allow yourself to have a good time, then you'll have a great experience. You'll finish your first year, and feel like you would have never lived anywhere else.

And if you still aren't happy after your first year, you can always look at transferring.

This is your problem, you picked one uni you really liked and 4 you didn't. You only looked at 5 unis, you may have got a better feeling at others. Anyway you should have an interview with your counsellors and just discuss options, until you do that you can't really do anything else.

And about finance, I'm going to be approx. 30000-40000 in debt after I go. I've already taken out my first loan for when I start in October and I know people who will probably be 50000+, basically everybody will be in debt regardless of what uni they go and where they go. Frankly no one can afford it apart from the filthy rich.

okay, well i have hit a fairly large bump in the road of college. I was going to attend western michigan university, that is until I had checked fafsa and western aid package they gave me and such, bottom line is that i will not be going there, since I have no aid coming to me and I would have to take out a roughly 80K loan to go there for 4 years.

now i am back at square one, the square that I was at when I was a junior. I have no college as of right that I am attending. i am delegating between wayne state(a local college) and a few community colleges, but am in the process of having to meet with counselors there and see what classes i have to take at each of these schools so that i can eventually transfer these credits to another more prominent institution.

What the hell should I do??? I have met with my HS counselor and she told me to go meet with other counselors at schools i am looking at to see what they say. I have like a week or two to start to finalize all of this.

Again I ask you...what should I do? Please give me some helpful insight.
    Many moons ago, I was accepted to Brown University. Things were going swimmingly well until my parents chimed in with, "... and ... you're going to pay for that how?" I couldn't even get financial aid, but if I could, looking back, I'd have gone into debt and just dealt with it.

If you really want to go to this place, go there. The debt is in U.S. dollars, which may well be hyper-inflated or defunct by the time you finish anyway, so it may not be a big deal anyway. Also, you can go on the income-contingent plan; if you work for a state entity for 10 years, they will discharge/forgive the rest of the loan.

So there you go. If you want to go to a particular place and have a financial aid package available, go. I regret not being able to go to Providence, RI and hang out with some of the online folks from Brown that I used to chat with.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    Many moons ago, I was accepted to Brown University. Things were going swimmingly well until my parents chimed in with, "... and ... you're going to pay for that how?" I couldn't even get financial aid, but if I could, looking back, I'd have gone into debt and just dealt with it.

If you really want to go to this place, go there. The debt is in U.S. dollars, which may well be hyper-inflated or defunct by the time you finish anyway, so it may not be a big deal anyway. Also, you can go on the income-contingent plan; if you work for a state entity for 10 years, they will discharge/forgive the rest of the loan.

So there you go. If you want to go to a particular place and have a financial aid package available, go. I regret not being able to go to Providence, RI and hang out with some of the online folks from Brown that I used to chat with.
    How much debt would this have incurred? How much debt, if any, did the alternative you chose incur? Perhaps I'm overly biased by the fact that I'm my undergrad without incurring any debt whatsoever, but I am extremely skeptical of your advice in this matter.

The economics of taking on $80k in debt simply do not make sense for most professions. The OP is right to balk at that number. Suggesting that there is any realistic chance that much debt would not be a hardship is extremely irresponsible.

There are some means to have student debt forgiven, but they are very specific to certain career types and have various limitations to the amount of debt they actually forgive. The relatively generous repayment terms available under the recently passed student loan overhaul will not go into effect until 2014. In the extremely improbable case that the US dollar hyperinflates or becomes defunct in the next 20 years, then the problems of paying back college debt will be replaced with much more serious problems.

One thing that does work well is joining the military (ROTC programs are particularly sweet deals), but that requires a several year, potentially hazardous commitment, and generally it is something one does before attending college and taking on the debt.

Without a definitive plan as to how he would pay back $80K in debt, the OP is absolutely right to look for a more cost-effective solution. If you have a rock-solid solution in mind, then post it; otherwise do not advise the OP to simply ignore $80K.

Do not trivialize major financial decisions.