Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Story of Stuff

Default Story of Stuff

One of my friends just showed me these videos. I haven't researched it, so I don't know the validity, but she sounds very convincing, at least. I'm hoping some more knowledgeable people might chime in.

I particularly enjoyed the Story of Bottled Water one, since I drink all tap water anyway.

The Story of Stuff

The Story of Bottled Water

Quote Originally Posted by teddy564339 View Post
    One of my friends just showed me these videos. I haven't researched it, so I don't know the validity, but she sounds very convincing, at least. I'm hoping some more knowledgeable people might chime in.

I particularly enjoyed the Story of Bottled Water one, since I drink all tap water anyway.

The Story of Stuff

The Story of Bottled Water
    Her bit on planned obsolescence is insultingly simplistic (especially the bit about computers), she uses "toxins" in an alarming fashion that I'm not comfortable with, and she decries the "synthetic chemicals" in a way that reminds me of someone who tried to sell me this quack detoxification system, but overall, she's pretty much on the money. The bottled water thing is completely accurate, though. In North America, we enjoy one of the highest standards for water quality in history. It's safe, it's clean, and it's cheap. Hell, most bottled water you get isn't even filtered - it's just straight from the tap, put in to a plastic bottle. Check out the label on bottled water next time you buy some - depending on where you are, the label might have to legally list the source. In most cases, it's a municipal supply.

Funny thing on the bottled oxygen thing she mentioned. It's already starting. I'm not talking about oxygen bars (which i tried once - big rip off), I'm talking real, freaking, bottled oxygen.
    Canned Oxygen Could be the Next Bottled Water

Enjoy!

just remember people natural isnt always good.

just think of viruses, tornados earthquakes, saturated fat, i.e butter as opposed to margerine.

then again, this stuff about wastes isnt new to me at all.

being an environmental scientist REALLY tests your faith in humanity ill tell you.

If you want to go more conventional, Arsenic is 100 percent natural.

Alarmists will always be crazy, and dumb, but mostly dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    Funny thing on the bottled oxygen thing she mentioned. It's already starting.
    I knew they had that in Japan for climbing mount Fuji. Not sure if it would be legal in the US without some really creative labelling.

Notice she said we have only 4 % of the original forest. What she fails to mention is that we have significantly reforested vast sections of the county.

She also fails to mention that 8.5 percent of the US is national forest. Double what her scare tactic 4% original forest statement tried to instill.

Same tactics different speaker.

Bottled water one is dead on though to her credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkitty View Post
    If you want to go more conventional, Arsenic is 100 percent natural.

Alarmists will always be crazy, and dumb, but mostly dumb.
    and so is hydrogen sulfide or rotten egg gas.. abit of trivia did you know that once it reaces a certain concentration you stop smelling it because it saturates all the receptors iin your nose. that often happens to be near the fatal dose too.

and i think the margerine thing is valid. margerine if you read the lable is mostly vegetable oils with abit of colour. butter, as many have noted is animal fats, and therefore a much higher proportion of saturated fat. BAD for your arteries.

Mako

Taste test is subjective. If someone is raised on tap water, they tend to prefer it. In most cases I prefer tap water, but from the tap in my apartment is pretty awful. I never used bottled water until I lived in the apartment I do now.

But the site is interesting, but its verbage needs works. They're not giving the full story in some areas, which hurts more then helps. I particularly noticed the misinformation and ignorance when she was discussing computers. They need to learn to come off as an educator rather then a tin foiled hatted hippie feminazi. As a lot of the other stuff is correct, and the end message is too important to dilute with misleading information.
    Last edited by Mako; 22-Apr-2010 at 16:56.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildishDaze View Post
    Notice she said we have only 4 % of the original forest. What she fails to mention is that we have significantly reforested vast sections of the county.

She also fails to mention that 8.5 percent of the US is national forest. Double what her scare tactic 4% original forest statement tried to instill.
    The difference is that the 4% she is talking about are Old Growth forests, meaning they are mature forest ecosystems several hundreds if not thousands of years old. All the forest in the U.S. that has regrown is second generation, young forest ecosystems. Many of these forest lands are also managed specifically as lumber farms - yes, even in some national parks, trees are allowed to be harvested at certain rates. This means that a lot of the younger forest will likely never reach the stage of a mature ecosystem like that of an old growth forest. This is both good and bad; some species benefit from this while other do not.

The thing is that while the U.S. is slowly becoming reforested, other countries are becoming increasingly deforested instead. Often as an indirect or direct effect of Western imports and markets.