Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government Assistance

Default Government Assistance

Ok, over the past few weeks the shit has hit the fan so to speak. Throughout my life things have been pretty steady, My parents have always worked as did I starting the summer after my 15th birthday. My mom a few weeks ago found out that she had thyroid cancer and had surgery to take it out. She's doing ok but it took a big hit on our finances even with our insurance.
    Looking forward it looks like i am going to lose my insurance through her (roughly 400$ a month) and may end up needing to move out (things at home are too high stress to balance it, work, and college... long story). Since the most likely of the above is losing my insurance my family and I decided that i should probably get medical assistance till things turn around.
    That being said I really feel crummy. The way my health is and my piss poor luck necessitates that I have insurance but i just cant afford it. Our whole lives we have worked for every thing we have and I cant really help but feel like I'm tossing that all away.

I guess maybe I'm looking for someone to say that I'm not just taking the easy way out but It just doesn't feel right. Normally this is where I would pick up a second job but no one is hiring. This kind of makes me wish the Army hadn't dumped all over me like it did... then things might be much better off...

Correct me if I am wrong here, but wouldn't moving out actually put you and possibly your family in a worse finical situation? I can understand wanting to get away from family and average life bullshit for a while (go camping for a few days or a week),

You are not alone in how you feel. I currently work part time and I still don't have health insurance since August of last year. I looked into applying for health insurance through the state of Minnesota, but I make too much. Also, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. These kinds of programs are in place for people like you, who end up in this sort of situation.

If you are a student, you might be able to get very cheap insurance through a college. If you aren't a student, it will be expensive. I have to go with Fire2box, wouldn't living at home be cheaper, and if you are working, you could help with home expenses. I feel like I may be missing something however, from your original post.

Many people that never thought they would need assistance are taking it. I wouldn't think it is a sign of weakness. It was rough for me to accept help from family and the Church when I was out of work for six months but I did what I needed to in order to take care of my son and myself.

It possiblly would make things worse but like I said it's a really long thing why I may be moving out. Might try camping out to get away for a while. got to find an easy place to get to though. I walked like a mile the other day and holy god did my foot hurt

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

It possiblly would make things worse but like I said it's a really long thing why I may be moving out. Might try camping out to get away for a while. got to find an easy place to get to though. I walked like a mile the other day and holy god did my foot hurt

That system in in place just in case something like this happens, do not feel you are taking advantage of the situation.

You said you were in the service for a little while, if so you still should be eligible for care thru the VA, not the best care in the world but at least it is something.

Quote Originally Posted by ballucanb View Post
    That system in in place just in case something like this happens, do not feel you are taking advantage of the situation.

You said you were in the service for a little while, if so you still should be eligible for care thru the VA, not the best care in the world but at least it is something.
    this.

Saddily not, they discharged me with a "general uncharacterized" so i cant get anything. At least until i hear something back from the army about getting my discharge changed... that's going slower than molasses

Maccracker it nearing elections time get on Kanjorski or Spectors ass and get this stuff done.

I told you before take this to the local media 16 or 28, I know 28 has that guy who is into veterans rights, also call Veterans Affairs, they are located at the Forty Fort Airport right by the Marine Corps center on Wyoming ave.

The old saying here is "The Squeekey Wheel Gets the Grease" the more noise you make the more notice you will get....