Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time off?

Default Time off?

This is the delemIa I face... prom is coming up and I decided that I will be going to it. BUT, the problem is, it is on a saturday at a place 45 minutes from my house. It starts at 6PM. I don't get off work until 5:30. I have to go home, shower, change, then drive there. You also have to be there by 7 PM, or you are denied entrance. Since I just got back to work and my boss has a problem with giving people time off I am scared to ask him "Can I leave an hour early from work to go to prom"? That just sounds weak and lazy. I am however thinking of just waiting until maybe that thursday before, since that is pay day and say "my great uncle pasted away, can I leave an hour early on saturday to go to the funeral home"

What do you guys think I should do?

keep in mind, I have already paid the $20 deposit and bought a suit for the occasion.

1) Don't lie. Be honest and show integrity. If he says you can't go then he is a douche.

2) Prom is considered a monumental event and he will most likely understand.

3) You may be able to speak to the coordinators of the prom and inform them in advance of where you need to be and why you will be late.

4) The more advanced notice you give, the better.

5) My prom is $75... so yeah, don't complain about price.

That sounds rather cruel to say your Great Uncle had just died.
    If he's alive to this day, that's extremely disrespectful.
    The man will feel sorrow for you for nothing.

I'd simply just ask him. I'm sure he'd understand.

I'm going with Zephiel on this.

Assuming you haven't abused time off in the past, the guy would have to be a douche to say no. I know you said 'just got back to work', but I'm not sure what that means.

Again, assuming its not THIS week. If someone came to me and said "2 or 3 weeks from now, yada yada yada", there's no way I would say no, even if I had to cover for you myself. I didn't go to prom, but I understand the cultural significance. I'd suggest you send him here to have us vouch for you and your difficulties with girls ...... but that might not help your case much.

I'm gonna have to agree with Zephiel... (shocking, I know)

Lying is never a good policy, If you boss finds out you ditched work to go to a party, he'll fire you. In the economy there are more jobseekers than jobs. He doesn't need an unreliable high school student.

On a less practical level, even if he doesn't find out, lying makes you less of a person. Man up and have some integrity. Your honesty and integrity are the only things no one can ever take from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post

Assuming you haven't abused time off in the past, the guy would have to be a douche to say no. I know you said 'just got back to work', but I'm not sure what that means.

Again, assuming its not THIS week. If someone came to me and said "2 or 3 weeks from now, yada yada yada", there's no way I would say no, even if I had to cover for you myself. I didn't go to prom, but I understand the cultural significance. I'd suggest you send him here to have us vouch for you and your difficulties with girls ...... but that might not help your case much.
    If my ridiculous amount of time spent here means anything, I believe he works a seasonal job and just started on again this year a week or two ago. He posted a thread asking if he should call to make sure his job is cemented in.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Your honesty and integrity are the only things no one can ever take from you.
    ""You cannot, sir, take from me anything that I will more willingly part withal, --except my life, except my life, except my life" Hamlet, Hamlet (II. ii. 209-210.) Seemed appropriate.

Simple. Tell the truth.
    Ask for an hour early on the exact date, say you're going to prom. Offer to work an hour later the next day you're on schedule, or come in an hour early. Any boss who isn't a complete asshole should understand that and be willing to do that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post

It is may 15th, so about a month away. My prom is $75 too, so the 20 was a down payment, haha. I have only taken one day off the entire time I have worked there. My Great uncle died at 100 years old about 6 years ago, so in turn I am hurting no one.

I also thought that if I am honest with him, I can sweeten the deal by requesting information on the products that we sell, so I can read up on them to better assist customers.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    My Great uncle died at 100 years old about 6 years ago, so in turn I am hurting no one.
    How about insulting the memory of your great uncle? I find it extremely offensive to lie about a deceased relative to go to an overglorified party.

From reading your posts, a lot of them, you seem very cynical. You act and speak as if everyone around you is out to get you. You REALLY need to learn that everyone else has feelings like you and that they can be understanding.

And I thought my prom was expensive.

Anyway, depending on how much bad ass your boss is, if you lie, you'll get fired anyway. If you don't lie chances are that your boss will understand. Just think for a second, will you "kill" the rest of the family as well whenever you have an event? Maybe you'll not get caught, telling a lie just feels wrong. Anyway, just give it a shot, maybe your boss isn't as bad ass as he seems. How many prom parties does one have in an entire life?