Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kyleigh's Law

Default Kyleigh's Law

**Start Attempted Unbiased Part** - Official Law Document - Outline of Law - FAQs
    N.J. officials reveal Kyleigh's Law license plate decals for young drivers | - - News article, for some background

So this is the first I've heard of this law so far. As it says on New Jersey's website this is the first of its kind and it comes into effect on May 1st.

The general idea behind this law, at least the way I have read it is, anyone that is under the age of 21 and does not have their GDL, is required to buy red, reflective decals from the NJDMV. These decals are to be placed on the upper left hand corner of both front and back license plates, so as to help police officers identify young drivers. These decals will help the police in enforcing the restrictions placed on younger drivers, who still posses a Provisional License or permit. In accordance with this law, any moving violation will result in a 5 month suspension of license, instead of a prior 3 month suspension, as well as all young drivers forfeit their right to a plea bargain on any moving violation charges.

So basically I would like to see how everyone feels about this law, even if you do not reside in the state of New Jersey.
    **End attempted unbiased part**

I personally am against this law. I have yet to update my license from my provisional to a GDL because it has never truly been an issue for me. I will be updating it before May 1st now. But this seems like an attempt to legalize profiling. It is singling out teenage drivers, and making them targets of police discrimination. I also disagree with charging $4 for these stickers. While it is not a large some of money, the law states that the driver will not be charged more than it cost to produce and distribute the stickers. I find it hard to believe that two little stickers could possibly cost $4 to produce. It is entirely possible I am wrong about the cost but even so, I would think that If the state wants to make it easier for police to fine/ticket teenagers, then the device that is allowing them to do so should be provided free of charge from the state.
    These stickers also bring up several other issues that I can see being a problem. First of all the state is forcing young drivers to announce to everyone, including sex offenders, that you are under 21 and alone, as if you have a parent or guardian it is not required to have the stickers displayed, whether or not the parent/guardian is driving. It also opens you up to being an easy target of insurance scams, specifically staged accidents. The red decal is just like a invitation, saying you are a new, inexperienced driver. So when you are in an accident it makes it easier for the judicial system to believe the teenager was the cause of the accident.

If they want to start labeling cars/driver so that police can identify them, they need to do it on a much wider scale then just focusing on new drivers. First of all, just being a new driver doesn't make you a bad driver. So they should force all new drivers to have the sticker. The can make it easier for new drivers to be required to have a sticker, but not required from the start. If they want to label cars, then sex offenders should have to label their cars, so cops know if they see their car next to a school. There should be a sticker for senior citizens, and drivers that have ever had an accident. As well as stickers for people that have ever had a speeding ticket, so cops know to watch them. And stickers for people that have had parking tickets, so cops can scrutinize their parking habits.

One thing I have yet to see is, Are the police allowed to pull a driver over under the suspicion that he/she is under 21 and on a provisional license?

So how does everyone else feel about this law?

What about those who drive their parents car? What an inconvenience it would be for their parents to be pulled over cus the stickers are there and police think they did something wrong. (I dunno, do younger drivers have curfew or something?)

Butterfly Mage

In Maryland, the government was toying around with the idea of making people put "rookie driver" stickers on their cars. It didn't go through.

In British Colombia they do the same thing but they were smart enough to make it a magnet instead of a sticker so it can be removed. What I don't get is why people do this in places where it is not required by law. It's like putting up a "Beware of Dog" sign, it opens you up to getting sued because you knew of a hazard and did not eliminate it.

If you didn't know before in the USA you are legally an infant until you turn 21. Until the birthrate and voter turnout in the 18-21 bracket picks up this will remain the case.

K, sorry I should clarify, its not a Sticker, as in you put it on and it stays. It is a velcro that half is "glued" to the car and the Red reflective half is pulled on and off as the teen driver uses the car.

Yes younger drivers have curfews. With this law the curfews have also changed. It use to be 12am until 5am provisional drivers could not be on the road, with this new law its 11:01pm to 5am. Provisional drivers are also limited to 1 other person in the car, Unless the teenagers parent/guardian is in the passenger seat, in which case you can have as many people as there are seat belts. The parent/guardian MUST live at the same address as the teenage driver. This also changed with this new law. It use to be you could have as many family members in the car plus an extra none family member, whether or not a parent was in the passenger seat. Previously it was not require that your parent live at the same address. I now see this as causing problems with children of divorced parents, as their address would not match.

It's profiling. I don't see how there is a question against that.

It affords these young drivers undue attention from other motorists and officials.

Keep in mind that kids don't know all the "tricks" that adults do when confrontation/accidents happen and may unduly incriminate themselves.

The drivers that deserve people's attention on the road are the ones that are unsafe, swirving, and being dangerous. Just because a driver is young does not mean they are incapable of being safe on the road and I see absolutely no evidence that telling everyone around you that you are a new driver helps everyone on the road.

I see the most likely outcomes as the following:
    Experienced drivers are inpatient, flip them off, honk their horn more frequently at them and thus probably causing more accidents as people are no longer relaxed.
    Experienced drivers try to speed up and pass or otherwise get away from these drivers, usually making stupid manuevers themselves and causing accidents.
    Police pull over young drivers for an easy ticket on something they wouldn't pull anyone else over for.

I don't quite understand what all that Driver's Ed and all the practice in getting a license is about...that is the state saying you are certified, qualified, and have EARNED THROUGH EFFORT the same privilage that is afforded to anyone else who earns it.

P.S. one note is that in many auto racing series there are "rookie plates" that indicate drivers who are rookies. This is so drivers who pass them know that they may make an erratic manuever or otherwise to inform the drivers around them that their moves my not be expected and furhaps dangerous. Of course there's no speed limits and no lanes. This to me is completely unapplicable to normal street driving as you're not pushing the car nor yourself to the max every second of every lap. All you need to do is maintain focus on the road and what's happening around you. The drivers that can't do that are the ones that deserve added attention.

Seems pointless to me.

Unless the ID is big enough to warn the rest of us at a safe distance. Like a 2ft red R (for rookie...) on both sides and the rear of the car <wink><wink>

As you already pointed out, the driver and the owner of the car are often two different people, so we're back to pointless.

As for senior citizens, we can already identify them by their Buicks. Again <wink><wink>

Another case of a politician trying to get an accomplishment on his resume regardless of whether it makes sense. Double fault for the name of the law, obviously pandering to the softheaded with a reference to some past tragic sob story.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Seems pointless to me.

As for senior citizens, we can already identify them by their Buicks. Again <wink><wink>

Another case of a politician trying to get an accomplishment on his resume regardless of whether it makes sense. Double fault for the name of the law, obviously pandering to the softheaded with a reference to some past tragic sob story.
    hey, I'm 25 and I own a Buick and I LOVE it! As for the law, no, I would not support it if it were being considered in my state.

I'm uncomfortable with the whole concept of clearly identifying yourself as an inexperienced driver mainly because it gives the driver unwanted attention specifically because they are new to driving. I've personally seen plenty of "experienced" drivers do incredibly stupid things like running red lights, changing lanes without looking or signaling, driving dangerously above the speed limit, etc. Just being inexperienced does not automatically make you a bad driver.

A similar law (in the sense that it was directed at those under 21) was proposed in Ontario and one part of it was that anyone under 21 caught speeding (regardless of what level license they had) would instantly have their license suspended. They were justifying it based on "statistics" that teenagers are completely incapable of driving. Because of things like this, I'm against any law that singles people out based purely on age.

Reflective sticker says:
    Follow me and Rape me I'm just a young girl behind the of a car.

Now perverts can clearly know who is under 21, and since no one under 21 is allowed to own a hand gun, these young girls get to be defenseless YEAAA for Nanny State.