Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else do this while driving?

Default Does anyone else do this while driving?

Here's the scenario: You're driving and you want to turn left at an intersection with an advance left turn light and you're the only one in the left turn lane.

When I'm in this situation, I often stay a few car lengths back so my car sits on the sensor that triggers the advance light so I don't have to wait for an opening in traffic to make a left turn. I've never seen another driver do this so I'm wondering if anyone here does this while they're driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihlus View Post
    Here's the scenario: You're driving and you want to turn left at an intersection with an advance left turn light and you're the only one in the left turn lane.

When I'm in this situation, I often stay a few car lengths back so my car sits on the sensor that triggers the advance light so I don't have to wait for an opening in traffic to make a left turn. I've never seen another driver do this so I'm wondering if anyone here does this while they're driving?
    I do not do this. I pull into the intersection, which establishes intent and access to the turn.

There is nothing more annoying than being behind someone in the left turn lane who is in turn NOT in the intersection. As they'll wait until the light turns yellow to start moving, it means they're the only car that will legally be able to proceed, as the rest of the vehicles have not entered the intersection, and will not enter the intersection, before the light turns red.

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I do not do this. I pull into the intersection, which establishes intent and access to the turn.

There is nothing more annoying than being behind someone in the left turn lane who is in turn NOT in the intersection. As they'll wait until the light turns yellow to start moving, it means they're the only car that will legally be able to proceed, as the rest of the vehicles have not entered the intersection, and will not enter the intersection, before the light turns red.
    Let me clarify. I do this when the light is red so that when it turns green, the advance light will be active so I can make a left turn. And, if a car pulls up behind me while I'm waiting, I'll move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihlus View Post
    Let me clarify. I do this when the light is red so that when it turns green, the advance light will be active so I can make a left turn.
    Well, sure. If you're talking about a left-turn lane with a dedicated filter, this is the only option you have.

And, if a car pulls up behind me while I'm waiting, I'll move forward.
    Er. Okay, so two things are appearing here:
    1. Your city enables left-turn filters AFTER the green-light cycle for oncoming traffic;
    2. You're talking here about a left-turn lane not under the control of a seperate filter (as you cannot just move forward against a red left turn filter). In this instance, I'd pull into the intersection proper.

Well, sure. If you're talking about a left-turn lane with a dedicated filter, this is the only option you have.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Er. Okay, so two things are appearing here:
    1. Your city enables left-turn filters AFTER the green-light cycle for oncoming traffic;
    2. You're talking here about a left-turn lane not under the control of a seperate filter (as you cannot just move forward against a red left turn filter). In this instance, I'd pull into the intersection proper.
    In Toronto and the surrounding areas, the left turn filter is applied either before the light turns green (in which case, the light is still red but left turns can be made from both directions until the dedicated left turn signal ends) or as the light turns green (in which case, traffic from the opposing direction has a red light allowing for left turns to be made safely).

...is that the reason that people hang two full car lengths back from the intersection? Then again, they do it when people are behind them, so that's just Arizonans trying to drive.

My philosophy is to get as many people through an intersection as possible, which translates to me getting myself out of the way, or through the intersection, as quickly as I can. If you're still sitting there when someone else shows up, you've already slowed them down, and potentially stopped one person at the end from getting through the light, which is pretty lame in my book.

I think he is saying that he has observed a method to manipulate the traffic signals. He is what a traffic engineer hates :P

Unfortunately traffic rules and signs are only as good as the driver's ability or willingness to follow them. In my part of the world traffic laws are a mere suggestion, and I am happy most days if people can stay in their lane.

Amazon.com: Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) (9780307277190): Tom Vanderbilt: Books

I grabbed this book at an airport a while ago, and it turned out to be very interesting. He discusses many of the nuances in driving behavior that most people don't even notice or know about. My education in college dealt with manufacturing and efficiency and was largely about flows through systems so I am always intrigued with how traffic control systems operate.

I hate it when people do this. It is very irritating. I have been right behind the first car before the intersection and this guy gets to turn and then the light will go red before I make it to the intersection. AND IM 3FT FROM THIS GUY! Trust me, I ain't gonna punch it to make that yellow light either, probably end up flipping my little SUV! *sigh* -end rant

EDIT: as an afterthought, I always end up getting to work about 30 minutes to 1 hour early. Because I live a strange distance from my job... and in my new position, I wouldn't fathom being late to work.

Quote Originally Posted by timmahtherebel View Post
    I hate it when people do this. It is very irritating. I have been right behind the first car before the intersection and this guy gets to turn and then the light will go red before I make it to the intersection. AND IM 3FT FROM THIS GUY! Trust me, I ain't gonna punch it to make that yellow light either, probably end up flipping my little SUV! *sigh* -end rant
    I don't how traffic lights work where you live but you're not thinking of the scenario I described. Let me be as clear as I can:

• The light is red.
    • I approach the light and sit a few car lengths back so the advance light will come on when the light turns green.
    • I move forward if a car pulls up behind me.
    • I save a few seconds by having the advance left turn light come on when it otherwise wouldn't have.
    • There is no yellow light involved here.
    • The trick I described is completely useless if the light is green.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyjeff View Post
    I think he is saying that he has observed a method to manipulate the traffic signals.
    This aptly describes it.

Oh.. Well.. Still a bit strange. I live in Florida.. USA..

Don't mind me though, I haven't been on the road for too long but I have picked up a few "tricks" myself.