Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restart needed for this, restart needed for that...

Default Restart needed for this, restart needed for that...

It just gets so annoying after a while -.-
    I'm a guy who is proud of his uptime. Who else finds it annoying that computers these days need a restart for everything?

Just use atuomatic updates. Set the computer to do updates while your asleep and it won't get in the way.

My computer never asks me to reboot when I install software or updates [shrug].

Just use atuomatic updates. Set the computer to do updates while your asleep and it won't get in the way.
    Never said it got in my way, but the fact that it actually needs to be rebooted.

I have a question!

This is something has always confused me, so lets set it straight now:

Why do people not shut down their computers?

Why do you want to leave it on? I don't understand it at all.

I couldn't care less about restarting...

You simply can choose NOT to restart when the computer asks you, and all the updates will be installed at next boot. That's what I usually do if I'm doing something important when the update message flashes up.

About switching off computers: I switch off mine at night because it's in the same space where I sleep and the noise would annoy me, otherwise during the day is usually on since I'm working on it and it allows me to receive in real time e-mails or other communications. When I'm away for more than some hours, it's obviously switched off.

Leaving computers on is generally better than switching them on and off 10 times a day, but of course it's pointless to leave them on 24/7 unless you're running some application like p2p that actually "uses" your computer also when you're not on it.

Expecially for PCs, however, it's "healthy" to reboot them sometimes, while I heard that Macs can go for years "suspending" the system instead of properly switching it off.

I leave mine on for torrents, and I fold at home, trying to cure diseases.

Tigger

Yeah, leaving it running 24/7 is stupid. Why should you be proud about how long you've had your computer on? Having it on all that time... GO OUTSIDE AND BREATHE FRESH AIR PPL and turn ur computer off once in a while :P

I leave my computer on for torrents and due to GIMPS and some other services I have running.
    And yea, it's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie F View Post
    I have a question!

This is something has always confused me, so lets set it straight now:

Why do people not shut down their computers?

Why do you want to leave it on? I don't understand it at all.

I couldn't care less about restarting...
    It's hard on components. Especially server grade components.