Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of Body Experiences anyone?

Question Out of Body Experiences anyone?

Who here has experienced them before? How often do you have them?

Here's why I'm bringing this up:
    I'm taking an abnormal psych class in college this semester. Today, in the lecture we were digging into the Dissociative Disorders (i.e. Dissociative Amnesia and DID/Multiple Personality). I flipped through the chapter and noticed something called Depersonalization Disorder. I know, it's so common to flip through a book with diagnoses and say "I think have that!" but it's sooooo true in my case. I really believe I have this. It's actually a big relief to see it mentioned there.

In Depersonalization Disorder, people have chronic 'out-of-body' experiences that will cause problems in daily functioning. People with this disorder tend to be slightly disconnected from reality. While they may pass a reality test, it's like they are watching themselves from outside their body, wondering if they are really in control and really doing what they are doing. A person with this may also have derealization, in which the environment around them seems hazy and indistinct, foggy almost.

That is the world I have been living in since the sixth grade. I can actually recall the day when I was out on the basketball court, and suddenly my whole world seemed to change. My vision became hazy, my body felt hollow, and it appeared as though all the kids around me were acting nonsensically, like they were robots or something, without any purposeful meaning or actions.

It was the weirdest thing, but it never went away! I'm still in this out of body experience. Ever since then, I feel as though my life has been one big dream, like someday I was going to wake up to realize I've been in a coma and merely imagined the last ten years. Every once in a while, it seems like things might get better, like I might 'snap back into things,' but it just doesn't happen, at least not for long. It's as though I'm watching my own actions from someplace else.

A lot of people have these moments at times in their lives, especially in times of extreme stress, sleep deprivation and sensory deprivation, but for some people it just keeps going. I'm trying to get into seeing a therapist soon, and will definitely be bringing this up. I have sensory processing issues that I am aware of, have been diagnosed with, and am treating, and they seem to explain a lot of the symptoms of depersonalization, but not all of them.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone else think this might fit them?
    Last edited by spddan; 15-Apr-2010 at 01:06. Reason: To add a couple questions in the beginning

Butterfly Mage

I have an out-of-body sensation sometimes, but it is usually related to my dissociative disorder. I sometimes have the sensory illusion that my body is wholly seperate from my consciousness and that I move the body through an odd sort of remote control action.

soggypampers

Oh my god, I always feel that way, about the "this is all a dream stuff". I mean just wow. I always feel as if I experience something only after it happens. And I tend to zone out all the time. Thx for posting this

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    I have an out-of-body sensation sometimes, but it is usually related to my dissociative disorder. I sometimes have the sensory illusion that my body is wholly seperate from my consciousness and that I move the body through an odd sort of remote control action.
    Hey Butterfly Mage, I figured this would draw a response from you, this being a dissociative disorder and all, lol. No, I know you've had a lot of issues in this area, so I figured if anyone here knew what I was talking about in the dissociative realms, it'd be you. I can understand what you're saying though, and it's pretty similar to what I experience. Thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by soggypampers View Post
    Oh my god, I always feel that way, about the "this is all a dream stuff". I mean just wow. I always feel as if I experience something only after it happens. And I tend to zone out all the time. Thx for posting this
    Well hi there, you're welcome and thank you for responding .
    I can't say that I really know you yet, but it does sound like this is probably an issue for you as well. Do you have any other sort of disorder that may have been a precursor to this? I'm just curious because I have SPD, which is like a very mild form of autism, and I believe that living with that disorder and the emotional problems I have experienced all sort of came together to be sort of a causal factor for this for me.

I'm glad I could help you. I was surprised to see this too. I was so glad to know there was a name for this!!! It's not just me! Yay!

I can remember vividly having an outer body experience when I was in college. I was singing regularly with a men and boy choir in Princeton, New Jersey. We were doing an evensong service, with instruments, etc. We were very, very good and had made recordings and went on tour. So we were singing the service and suddenly I felt my "soul" for lack of a better word, leave my body and float over head, over the choir. I could see myself singing. It was an amazing experience. I have never experienced it again.

You know that there are documented cases of soul walking during anesthesia induced sleep while patients are being operated on. They have described things seen and said in other rooms, and doctors and nurses confirming those conversations and descriptions.

I don't think that is the cause of your experience, but who knows. I believe there is another part of our consciousness that continues on after death, so there may be a number of possibilities. You also could be suffering from low blood pressure, or even a brain tumor. Tell the doctor.

Even though I have never had the floating experience again, I do tend to disassociate and wonder how real is the reality around me. When I sit down to write and work on my novel, however, I really go into the zone and enter into that world, and the words and story just seem to flow as if someone else is writing it. It's most amazing.

Great Response here Dogboy, thanks for replying .

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I can remember vividly having an outer body experience when I was in college. I was singing regularly with a men and boy choir in Princeton, New Jersey. We were doing an evensong service, with instruments, etc. We were very, very good and had made recordings and went on tour. So we were singing the service and suddenly I felt my "soul" for lack of a better word, leave my body and float over head, over the choir. I could see myself singing. It was an amazing experience. I have never experienced it again.
    Ah, I know exactly how that is. I played trombone for several years throughout middle and high school. When I was playing, I would often kind of phase out, feel incredibly light (like I didn't even exist), everything around me would get hazy and would look really weird. I would watch my arm moving in front of me, and wonder if I was really sitting there, really playing, really doing what I was doing. Of course, I feel like this a lot, but those were definitely interesting experiences, and it would occasionally lead to me screwing up my part. I made it into the award winning, Internationally touring top band in the school, in spite of this, but it wasn't until my senior year.

I also have had a few experiences from much earlier in my life that are much more like what you are referring to. Both times I was a little kid. One time, I got attacked by a dog, and I remember floating above me, watching the adults attend to me. I had a similar experience after falling down the stairs. I remember floating around the ceiling and watching the adults help me, much like with the dog attack. I still wonder if those may have just been dreams, but they seemed too real, and I remember the events that happened before the experience. I think trauma has a lot to do with it.

I don't think that is the cause of your experience, but who knows. I believe there is another part of our consciousness that continues on after death, so there may be a number of possibilities. You also could be suffering from low blood pressure, or even a brain tumor. Tell the doctor.
    Low blood pressure? Could definitely be.
    A brain tumor? Unlikely since I've been this way without the other symptoms for 10 years now.
    My other ideas:
    Dehydration: a chronic problem for me, and I know my mom was severly dehydrated during her pregnancy with me. Always something to consider, although from my experience, drinking more water hasn't seemed to help much.

Sensory Processing Disorder induced: A lot of the visual, proprioceptive/kinesthetic, vestibular, and under-sensitivity issues are described quite well as symptoms of the neurological condition I have. It is common for SPDers to feel disconnected from their body and environment, and it also common for them to not be able to tell where their bodies are in space, and decipher their world around them. I have severe, severe SPD. So this all applies to me. Growing up disabled though, I also didn't really have much going on for me in terms of friendship, and my best/only friend had just stopped talking to me shortly before this whole thing started. Emotional trauma, depression, and anxiety are all heavily linked to this.

Even though I have never had the floating experience again, I do tend to disassociate and wonder how real is the reality around me. When I sit down to write and work on my novel, however, I really go into the zone and enter into that world, and the words and story just seem to flow as if someone else is writing it. It's most amazing.
    You know I understand this too . I think a lot of us writers have plenty of out of body experiences. We're a lot more in touch with the imaginative world and vicarious experiences. It seems to be a prerequisite of being a writer in many cases, lol.

I don’t know whether this counts but sometimes at random points in my life must be about 50 times now (sometimes the same one repeated), I have a very weird experience. It’s hard to explain but I will try my best. Sometimes for seemingly no reason at all my mind or at least my conscious self will zone out, and I will be in what seems to be a very vivid memory but I am seeing it from my own point of view. Then it will stop and I forget all about it for a few weeks, months or even several years. Then again seemingly for no reason at all, I will have the same weird feeling only this time, my conscious self will be in exactly the same place as when I first had the “vision” and what is happening in real life in front of me is the scene playing out as I first had years ago, but seen from where I was when I first had the “vision”. In short it seems I am seeing into the future but forget all about it till it happens. The weariest thing is that when it is happening to me I am able to know what other people around me are going to do. It can be scary at times and it messes my head up for a few seconds after.

Now I don’t for one second believe I can see into the future, I believe in science reason and logic, that would defy all of them. But when I have been able to (badly) explain to somebody they have just said it was deja vu, I would except this answer if it was not for the two parts to it. Anyway is that anything like you wanted? Anybody else had this? Am I mad?

Ok, I just finally got back to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Berko View Post
    I don’t know whether this counts but sometimes at random points in my life must be about 50 times now (sometimes the same one repeated), I have a very weird experience. It’s hard to explain but I will try my best. Sometimes for seemingly no reason at all my mind or at least my conscious self will zone out, and I will be in what seems to be a very vivid memory but I am seeing it from my own point of view. Then it will stop and I forget all about it for a few weeks, months or even several years. Then again seemingly for no reason at all, I will have the same weird feeling only this time, my conscious self will be in exactly the same place as when I first had the “vision” and what is happening in real life in front of me is the scene playing out as I first had years ago, but seen from where I was when I first had the “vision”. In short it seems I am seeing into the future but forget all about it till it happens. The weariest thing is that when it is happening to me I am able to know what other people around me are going to do. It can be scary at times and it messes my head up for a few seconds after.

Now I don’t for one second believe I can see into the future, I believe in science reason and logic, that would defy all of them. But when I have been able to (badly) explain to somebody they have just said it was deja vu, I would except this answer if it was not for the two parts to it. Anyway is that anything like you wanted? Anybody else had this? Am I mad?
    Okay, you know? I don't think this is too weird, or a sign you're going mad at all. It's definitely out of the ordinary, though. You might want to bring this up to a psychologist. I'm wondering, is this kind of like a flashback? Could be a sign of PTSD is what I'm getting at, unless you don't find it to be horribly intense or upsetting.

I also think it's possible to 'see into the future,' but only because I believer there are sensory systems that people have that we aren't yet aware of. I think it's more than possible that your brain is able to pick up on subtle clues that offer you the ability to predict things. Perhaps these phases are just moments where you are more in touch with these subconscious perceptions?

Or, maybe these are just glitches in the Matrix and you've gotten good at predicting the program.

Due to the area being fundamentally tricky to describe to anyone else, we're all describing different things that all kind of fit into the same catagory.
    I've always been a daydreamer, and therefore appeared to everyone else to be rather absent at times, but that doesn't really count. One time however whilst I was about to climb into bed, I did get something like some of you describe.

I was like I was 'myself', but 'myself' was separate from the physical 'me'. I could feel my arms etc. and I could move them, but it felt like moving a puppet instead of normal, so I could quite confidently say it felt like my conciousness was seperate from my body.
    That time it happened just by chance, and I don't remember it happening like that since. However with time on my own, and in the right state, I can just about manage to do it by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Berko View Post

(emphasis mine)

I get this, though by the sounds of it, far more commonly than you do. It would just be satisfied with the classification of deja vu with the likelihood that parts of your brain got muddled up and it's all nonsense - it is until you bring in the bit that I underlined.
    If it were ordinary deja vu then there is no explanation for me being able to say "Person X is about to come through that door" and it happening. Annoyingly it's also the one bit that others you tell will just say you're lying and it was ordinary deja vu, and nothing special.

I am a man or science and logic, and I cannot simply say that I can see the future, as the evidently goes against my scientific basis, but I can't see any other explanation for it. To my knowledge, science hasn't proved that it can't happen, so I can currently entertain the idea that it can.

I'm not sure if this is on topic or not (I'll wait for spddan on that) so I've spoilered the rest.

I have had them a lot, even at night, flying dreams etc. It can be also related to temporal lobe epilepsy and some other forms of epilepsy as well.