Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After 17 months being unemployed, I got a US Census Job

Default After 17 months being unemployed, I got a US Census Job

On October 27, 2008. I worked my last day before a permenant lay off. That week I went on line to see about Census 2010 Jobs and contacted their offices (800 number) and reserved a place for an examination.

On November 6, 2008, I drove 136 miles (roundtrip) to travel to Medford, Oregon to apply for a job with the US Census Bureau for the 2010 Census and to take the initial examination (which I scored a 97 on BTW). I had hoped to be considered for a regional supervisor position and to work from the Eugene, Oregon Regional US Census Office starting in January 2009.

This would have worked out to be a 3 year gig with pretty good benefits. $41,660 a year. As it has turned out after about 20 phone calls over these months, I have just been offered a temporary job for 8 weeks as a Census Enumerator. 17 months for Christ's sake, I should have been given an US State Department Ambassador appointment with my own government jet and Secret Service body guards!

Oh well, in this economy, this will help to stretch our family resources. Begger bunnies should not be choosers, As the old saying goes! I start on April 23 and should be full time through the middle to end of June 2010.

I'll start applying for the 2020 census in 2015. Maybe then they'll consider me for a supervisor position since it will be the third US Census that I will have worked.

Jay

I'm glade you got a job. I so don't like the ecconomy right now because they just lowered my pay again.
    Hopefully you get it for the 2020 one too.

Congrats Diapered Rabbit. I got vastly downsized at the end of 2000. Since then I have worked two jobs to make up for the one job. This economy does indeed suck. We all do what we have to do I guess. At least I make about 8000 a year more with the two jobs than the one, and I get my hospitalization for myself and my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    Congrates. I suggest you carry a gun.
    ... why? Most people aren't quite crazy enough to be angry at census-takers for no particular reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkitty View Post
    ... why? Most people aren't quite crazy enough to be angry at census-takers for no particular reason.
    I'm just talking out of my ass. Just thinking of the steriotypical rednecks and blacks that would pop anyone that comes to there door.

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Linkitty View Post
    There has been a rash incident of random attacks on government employees and elected officials as of late. Oregon isn't known for it's crazy extremist conservative libertarians so there still isn't anything to worry about.

On a side note, for those who haven't filled out the census. The census bureau is urging gays and lesbians in a relationship that consider themselves married to their partner to mark as such, regardles if it's legally recognized. Source.

Truth be known, I live in the Mecca for Meth Cookers/dealers and hard core gun hoarding survivalists. I'm dressing like a cross between Frank Zappa and Bubba - the right wing anarchist!

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I'm just talking out of my ass. Just thinking of the steriotypical rednecks and blacks that would pop anyone that comes to there door.
    Well atleast we know why he stopped coming here D: