Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Mali: On What Teachers Make

That was awesome! I love a guy who stands up for what he does, and for what others do. It's even better when he can get some laughs in too. It seems to me that teaching can be kind of a thankless job, so for what you do, I would like to say thanks. It definitely makes a difference in everybody's lives.

That reminds me of my sociology teacher from senior year. I was considering going into education, and I asked my favorite teachers what drove them to do what they did. His answer was simple, but one of the most powerful statements I've heard in my entire life.

"I teach to encourage curiosity, because without that, life itself can go undiscovered."

I wish more kids could have teachers like him and Taylor.

Wow, this actually makes me respect my teaches a little more. Maytricks is right, teaching is a thankless job, all they get from it are middle fingers and curses under students breaths. They also have far more patience than I do. A student in my English class once yelled (warning vulgar)

I'm not so sure I'd be able to stay calm after a break out like that. Just hearing the "C word" makes me cringe. She handed it well, after the kid walked out she calmly walked over to the phone and informed the office of the incident. Anyway, i digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post
    Wow, this actually makes me respect my teaches a little more. Maytricks is right, teaching is a thankless job, all they get from it are middle fingers and curses under students breaths. They also have far more patience than I do. A student in my English class once yelled (warning vulgar)

I'm not so sure I'd be able to stay calm after a break out like that. Just hearing the "C word" makes me cringe. She handed it well, after the kid walked out she calmly walked over to the phone and informed the office of the incident. Anyway, i digress.
    A student at my school grabbed a teacher's ass. The teacher was a guy and made sure that there were witnesses because although she grabbed his ass it would be easy for her to play it off as "innocent teen taken advantage of by pedo teacher". I used to be an asshole student, but I think in the last year I've changed a lot. I try to be kind to teachers now and the teachers mark A LOT easier when they like you.

I think I could deal with being a teacher... I just don't think I would take it seriously enough. No work would ever get done if I was in charge. :P

Today at my school, my boss and I along with another science teacher introduced two classes of visiting 5th graders to our saltwater touch tank, various sea urchins, star fishes, and crabs, as well as lizards, snakes and amphibians from our herpetology room. This is education at its best. We also have a laserium, and another science teacher was demonstrating that to them as well.

As teachers, we have not gotten a raise in 2 years, and will not get a raise next year. Because of extreme budget cuts orchestrated by the newly elected Republicans in Virginia, I will lose my job, and go back into the class room as a TA to special ed, rather than work at a higher level with technology, and science. I make $15,000.00 a year. Starting salary for teachers is $30,000. with no chance of raises for years. Our governor wants charter schools instead of public schools, so we are deliberately being underfunded.

Most teachers teach because they love kids, and like me, love it when they have that light bulb moment. I love seeing it when I work with the kids in the math computer lab. This is what teaching is about. It will never be about money, because there is none.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    As teachers, we have not gotten a raise in 2 years, and will not get a raise next year. Because of extreme budget cuts orchestrated by the newly elected Republicans in Virginia, I will lose my job, and go back into the class room as a TA to special ed, rather than work at a higher level with technology, and science. I make $15,000.00 a year. Starting salary for teachers is $30,000. with no chance of raises for years. Our governor wants charter schools instead of public schools, so we are deliberately being underfunded.
    Gotta love that mentality. Public schools can't work, and we'll prove it! Seriously, would someone mind explaining to me what the hell is the fascination with charter schools? Did the voucher program completely bomb, and now its supporters have decided to try something else? As far as I can tell, it's not like they have some proven track record of being any better or cheaper than public schools, and in some cases (like Michigan), charter schools tend to cost more and perform worse.

I love being a student and learning, and I love teaching, partly because I think I am good at both of them.

I'd love to teach, although I fear the bureaucracy of it all.
    Having to care about league tables, having to teach exam revision for uninspiring SATs, having to focus on specific targets ("5 GCSEs grade C or above", how many times have I heard that as just a student?!), having to act as a crowd controller...

I'd like to teach in a private school.
    I'd have to change my accent though, and put up with arses.

Teaching should be a good job. You should need a proper degree from a proper university. Not some 2:2 or pass from some Met, you should need at least a 2:1.
    It's odd, the current state of teaching makes me both want to become a teacher so I can help, but at the same makes me want to run a mile.

I don't want to be a teacher 'that makes' surrounded by teachers 'that can't do'.

I will remember this for any time anyone questions my decision to teach. Thank you so much for posting this.