Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Attn Students: Books you should read before you they force you to

Default Attn Students: Books you should read before you they force you to

When I was in middle school and on through high school I was a big reader. I attribute this to having next to no social life and not having cable a good chunk of my lifespan.

But I wouldn't take back the books I read for all of the episodes of Highlander, Forever Knight, Stargate and every other DVD boxset I can think of.

So I want to give you a list of some of the books I read before they were ever class assignments and why I liked them. If others would like to chime in with their book lists that would be great.

Flowers for Algernon

I read this one in the eighth grade. They also published a heavily watered down version of this story one of those school reading books, you know the ones.

I liked the way it depicts Charlie's progress from a mentally challenged adult, to a fully functioning and independant man and back again. It's very much a cautionary tale about toying with nature and the consequences of trying to use cold science to "improve" people we percieve to be imperfect.

Lord of the Flies

This book sums up everything I hate about group mentality. I read it in my senior year of high school and lo and behold it turned out to be a required summer reading book when I transferred from my low level English class to college level in the following semester.

Those are the only books I can think of that I read before they were explicitly assigned to me in school. Again, feel free to chime in with yours.

The best book I read was A Tale of Two Cities, even knowing the outcome before I read the book did not dull my impression of it.

I highly recommend The Catcher in the Rye; read it before you have to for school and you'll get much more out of it that way. I also highly recommend Londonstani by a guy named Gautam Malkani, if you're looking for something a little different.

annierighthurr

I recommend Scrotie McBoogerballs by Butters Stotch.

Really an instant classic, I could really read a lot into it.

Quote Originally Posted by annierighthurr View Post
    I recommend Scrotie McBoogerballs by Butters Stotch.

Really an instant classic, I could really read a lot into it.
    butters... aaaah *groans*

Quote Originally Posted by NateSean View Post

Lord of the Flies

This book sums up everything I hate about group mentality. I read it in my senior year of high school and lo and behold it turned out to be a required summer reading book when I transferred from my low level English class to college level in the following semester.
    This is an excellent book, we read it in year 9 and it's still one of my favourites.

I'd have to recommend Of Mice And Men. It really higlighted the issues people faced in the depression, the cyclical nature of their lives. The lonely nature of those workers. Also it showed how prejudice people were back then to women, blacks and the mentally disabled. A truly emotional and powerful ending, really makes you think.

I'm reading Great Expectations, and I never had to read it in school. I think it's worth coming back to--I know a lot of people who hated it when they were 14, and I think 14 is really too young to get much out of it. I disliked Gatsby at school when I was 17, and loved it when I reread it a few years ago.

The Outsiders or Tex by S.E. Hinton

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig.

Am I the only one who AVOIDS reading a book I know will come up in class? I don't like having to go through a book I've already read and having to readjust my perception of it to answer questions. If a book is TRULY good than it won't matter that you had to read it in class. I loved Macbeth and Hamlet. Chryssalids(sp?) was okay, we read that in grade 9. I HATED Lord of the Flies. Just really didn't like the way the story was told. I don't even remember if we did a novel study last year. This year mine was 900 pages long (we picked our own book from a list and study it alone) and I almost cried around 700 pages in. I think that you just need to approach the book as if it isn't an assignment and you won't hate it.