Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: i don't like HG or SS

Default i don't like HG or SS

removed link because people are getting worked over my opinions (which upon review, aren't that offensive) >.<

mods please close this thread
    Last edited by sparkywuff; 11-Apr-2010 at 00:42.

Well, you have your own opinion. But since you posted your thoughts on the internet, it is only natural that we pick them apart, chew em up, and spit it back out at you.

You start with the plot:
    The plot is still the same. Most of the sidequests and additions are optional anyway. If you don't like them, you don't have to do them (most of them anyway). Sure there are a few tweaks to the story, but basically, they were filling in holes or adding to the overall story to add a little more depth to the world. I fail to see how this is a bad thing.

Graphics and music:
    Yes, HG and SS use the same graphics engine as D/P/Pl. Is this a bad thing? I'll agree that some of the music was remixed a bit too far, but for the most part I find the new soundtrack very enjoyable. I know not everybody agrees with that, but that's the game's only REAL flaw.

The rest of the "Review" is more or less a rant about how the Pokemon series has evolved, kept up with the times, and (most will agree with me) changed things for the better. Just because it's a remake of the originals doesn't mean it has to be 100% identical. Nobody would buy it if it was just the same game with a new coat of paint.

Most of your review is nitpicking about things that really don't matter. I personally liked the new "friend" character. Things like that make you feel less alone in the world and, again, give it more depth. "BAWWWWW, she wasted 2 minutes of my 40 hour game to tell me about the daycare and about breeding pokemon! BAWWWWW!"

They didin't change the minigames "for no reason", they actually made you do something. Seriously now, the old Farfetch'd and Ruins of Alph puzzles are the ones that look stupid when compared to the new stuff. Berries are still obtainable by letting your mom keep money for you. Apricorns are much more beneficial for the sake of getting specialized pokeballs anyway. As for Roost, landing and making it susceptible to ground type attacks for a turn or 2 seems like a reasonable trade off for a Recovery ability.

I mean WTF man? You're complaining about the trade scene?! Why?! The Pokeballs flying up into the sky and passing each other was representative of it leaving one DS and traveling wirelessly to another DS. What teh fek is wrong with that?

The caves, towns, and such being changed was a part of putting attention to detail and updating the world as a whole. Again, the point of the remake was to take those classic games and make them better by adding the levels of depth that newer games these days have.

As for the size that the Pokemon sprites appear on the screen, they haven't changed. In fact, they've gotten bigger. You don't notice this because the DS has almost quadruple the screen resolution of the original Gameboy Color. I don't know about you, but I think the fact that I can actually make out the physical features of a Pokemon is more important that how big they are on the screen.

Every single person I've talked to about the game loves the fact that any pokemon can now follow you around, and you can interact with it. I think it's one of the best features. Your comparison to the PS3 stealing the Wii's thunder is invalid due to the fact that the "have a pokemon follow you around" idea was originally Nintendo's idea to begin with. They pioneered it in Pokemon Yellow and brought it back in SS/HG because people liked it. They didn't copy it from someone else.

BTW, you couldn't have gotten through the originals without the Radio Card because you need it for the Pokeflute tune to get by Snorlax when you reach Kanto. :P

Remember that this is a Remake, not a port.

Your "review" is about as bad as the Sonic community picking apart Sonic 4. I almost want to go as far as to say it sounds like a poor (or maybe convincing?) troll attempt.

EDIT:
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just telling, from realistic perspective, how your review sounds.

Like I said yesterday when I read your review; You didn't approach the game with an open-mind. You seemed like you wanted it to be a 1:1 remake of the original. I want to get this game, don't have the money atm. One of the things I want most is a Charizard following me around RAWRAWRAWR!!! lol I've wanted that since the first time I played yellow. I think the issue isn't that the game was bad, but that you don't like change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Like I said yesterday when I read your review; You didn't approach the game with an open-mind. You seemed like you wanted it to be a 1:1 remake of the original. I want to get this game, don't have the money atm. One of the things I want most is a Charizard following me around RAWRAWRAWR!!! lol I've wanted that since the I played yellow. I think the issue isn't that the game was bad, but that you don't like change.
    That's the impression I got from him too.

Quote Originally Posted by xcliber View Post
    to go as far as to say it sounds like a poor (or maybe convincing?) troll attempt.
    no no... not a troll attempt... you probably want to say i am a troll because i have an opinion contrary to yours and i am voicing it in a heightened way..

albeit trolls do complain, but they rely on bias and flammatory remarks to evince reactions... i am just statig what i don't like about the game, not trying to get a particular reaction, just putitng it up for people's enjoyment..

thanks for taking the time to review my opinion

the dream chaser, sparky

Quote Originally Posted by Dynavwryn View Post
    no no... not a troll attempt... you probably want to say i am a troll because i have an opinion contrary to yours and i am voicing it in a heightened way..

albeit trolls do complain, but they rely on bias and flammatory remarks to evince reactions... i am just statig what i don't like about the game, not trying to get a particular reaction, just putitng it up for people's enjoyment..

thanks for taking the time to review my opinion

the dream chaser, sparky
    Sorry. You're right, troll wasn't the best word. Of course you have your opinion, and while it may be vastly different from mine, I respect it. It's your choice to buy or not buy the game if you don't think you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Like I said yesterday when I read your review; You didn't approach the game with an open-mind. You seemed like you wanted it to be a 1:1 remake of the original. I want to get this game, don't have the money atm. One of the things I want most is a Charizard following me around RAWRAWRAWR!!! lol I've wanted that since the first time I played yellow. I think the issue isn't that the game was bad, but that you don't like change.
    i have actually talked to a lot of my irl friends (who are avid gamers) and they don't like the game either, for most of the reasons i stated.i don't like the change because it is nothing i haven't seen before.

take the wii for example... it sold like crack because the motion sensitive interface was so innovative and creative.

as for the open mind thing... if it is something that you are heavily interested in, you have your own preferences to what you like and don't like about the game, so your reaction will be biased, i am just saying that i am turned off to the game because it isn't that original.

as for the 1:1 remake, that would be boring.... ok i am starting to repeat myself.... i want innovation, somehting to keep me coming back to the game rather then staying away from it

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xcliber View Post
    Sorry. You're right, troll wasn't the best word. Of course you have your opinion, and while it may be vastly different from mine, I respect it. It's your choice to buy or not buy the game if you don't think you'll like it.
    i am actually trying to become big on damnlag so it wouldn't benefit me to troll around XD

Bah, you are too young. (I will explain this at the end)

This game has been pure joy from start to end. Being able to walk into Saffron City with Lugia, the music, the Kinomo girls, the gym leaders (like, Falkner and fighting in the air, soo-cool!

Generation 2 was my favorite: it had the perfect combination of traditional pokemon and interesting new ones that took advantage of type advantages. To a large extent, HG and SS play off Gen. 2's set: very few Gen. 3 or Gen. 4 pokemon are available before Kanto. By that time, your set will include mostly pokemon from Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 and will do little affect your line-up.

More importantly, these games expanded the WORLD of Pokemon. It is no longer the story of a kid and his trainer in somewhat monochromatic environments: the interaction of mini-games, the existence of other characters, simple touches like the road to the Safari Zone and re-matches of gym leaders, who you have to find out in the WORLD: the world of HG and SS shines with human activity. Fighting Ash in the Snow, having to travel an intense mountain to get there, was awesome, even if I lost

I'm in love with the game: it has reminded me of why I loved playing Pokemon. It has been everything I hope for. It retains the foundational feeling, before the world of Pokemon became split by the introduction of the 256-493 Pokemon. It has made the game easy at the start but it has a very steep learning difficulty. It provides constant replay value.

This is where my critique of you being too young comes in: I remember the world of Pokemon as it started. I owned Blue within days it came out. I remember the birth of the cartoon series, Yellow Version and Silver Version. Each game evolved, not just in gameplay, but in the world that was Pokemon. It was something that you had to experience.

The fact that you see it as a simple 'travel and battle' RPG tells me you are missing some of the magic. Maybe it's because by the time you got your hands on the games, they got way too complicated and way too convoluted (mostly through the introduction of WAY TOO MANY POKEMON AND WAY TOO MANY LEGENDARIES).

This has been the best thirty dollars I have spent in years.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    bah, you are too young. (i will explain this at the end)

this game has been pure joy from start to end. Being able to walk into saffron city with lugia, the music, the kinomo girls, the gym leaders (like, falkner and fighting in the air, soo-cool!

Generation 2 was my favorite: It had the perfect combination of traditional pokemon and interesting new ones that took advantage of type advantages. To a large extent, hg and ss play off gen. 2's set: Very few gen. 3 or gen. 4 pokemon are available before kanto. By that time, your set will include mostly pokemon from gen. 1 and gen. 2 and will do little affect your line-up.

More importantly, these games expanded the world of pokemon. It is no longer the story of a kid and his trainer in somewhat monochromatic environments: The interaction of mini-games, the existence of other characters, simple touches like the road to the safari zone and re-matches of gym leaders, who you have to find out in the world: The world of hg and ss shines with human activity. Fighting ash in the snow, having to travel an intense mountain to get there, was awesome, even if i lost

i'm in love with the game: It has reminded me of why i loved playing pokemon. It has been everything i hope for. It retains the foundational feeling, before the world of pokemon became split by the introduction of the 256-493 pokemon. It has made the game easy at the start but it has a very steep learning difficulty. It provides constant replay value.

This is where my critique of you being too young comes in: I remember the world of pokemon as it started. I owned blue within days it came out. I remember the birth of the cartoon series, yellow version and silver version. Each game evolved, not just in gameplay, but in the world that was pokemon. It was something that you had to experience.

The fact that you see it as a simple 'travel and battle' rpg tells me you are missing some of the magic. Maybe it's because by the time you got your hands on the games, they got way too complicated and way too convoluted (mostly through the introduction of way too many pokemon and way too many legendaries).

This has been the best thirty dollars i have spent in years.
    ^iawtp^

Hey, it's fine. Honey Grams are something you kinda either like or dislike, and the Secret Service is too secret to find anything to really like about it. >_>