Thread: Trying to find a DS music cart

Default Trying to find a DS music cart

I'm about to get a Nintendo DS (not DSi or Lite). So I decided to use it as an mp3 player as well. I'm looking for a 3rd party cart that can do that. Fortunately I found many. Unfortunately I don't know which to get. Currently I'm looking at a CycloDS Evolution for this purpose. I am quite open to other suggestions. What I am looking for has these qualities:

UI can (should) be able to be worked entirely from touchscreen.
    Play mp3s (I know obvious, but still)
    Can control various settings like screen brightness. (optional)
    Homebrew isn't a big issue at all. (unless there is one that allows me to connect and surf the internet, which for the DS is unlikely)
    Will not mess with the firmware on the DS itself so I can play other games (like Golden Sun DS when it comes out).

If anyone has messed with one before I would like to know how it went. At one point in time my brother also had a DS with a specific music player that used both Slot 1 and 2. That would be pretty much what I would be looking for, but neither can I remember its name nor can I find it.

Just about any of them will do what you want either via it's own shell or homebrew (look up "Moonshell"). But seriously, the DS's sound quality, even through headphones, isn't up to par with a standard $20 MP3 player.

You only have to worry about the DS's firmware if you're using a DSi. The old phat DS and DS Lite don't have rewritable firmwares. As for whether or not it will be able to play a rom of Golden Sun DS when it comes out, only time will tell. There's a good chance the game will have it's own built in anti-piracy measures to prevent it from being playable on flashcarts like the one you're thinking of getting without some sort of hacking involved. (and for the sake of keeping this discussion legal, I'm not telling you how to do it either :P)

I don't remember exactly, but does the original DS have adjustable brightness settings? I thought it had an ON and OFF setting for the backlight. Adjustable brightness levels came around with the DSLite.

If you're going to get a flashcart for the DS, get R4. Seriously. No other flash cart is worth it. If you intend on using it for playing games, only get the games that were released before Pokemon Heartgold and Soulsilver. Nintendo started adding anti-piracy patches in all of their games.

Not that I'm condoning such things. *cough* Just so you know. xD Homebrew is completely legal, downloading games is piracy. Not so legal.

GBAtemp.net -> Official GBAtemp Reviews

There's a list of reviews for most likely any flash cart you can find out there. I don't recommend getting any R4 cart at all since right now the only ones on the market are "fake" ones. Sure most of them work, but you got to be really carefully on which one your buying and which site your buying it from.

Don't buy this sort of stuff on craigslist, you won't know where they got them from and they don't buy them in big quantity's so they will mark up the price they paid for it by at least 10% if not more.

xcliber: No I do plan on legitimately buying Golden Sun DS; and Moonshell was pretty much what I was looking at too.

Akira: I am also seriously considering and R4, but my only issue with that is that the device itself is orphaned. The company that made it doesn't support it anymore (it's even rumored to be dissolved). This makes the device seem quite dated. [source (updated 04/06/10)]

Fire2box: Yep, that's the site I found in my original google search. ishopvideogame.com is still selling it, which according to the review by gbatemp, was the supplier gbatemp used to get the cart for review in the first place. And hey it's only 7 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    If you're going to get a flashcart for the DS, get R4. Seriously. No other flash cart is worth<--snip-->
    actually, the real r4ds has'nt been produced since 2008, after the guy behind it called it a quits, because of legal issues >_>; //

nowadays all it represents, is some kinda sellout, where every idiot can print money from western countries with cheap electronics :/

it supports no dldi patching
    moonshell, looking quite outdated
    there is no real compatability updating anymore, since its dead..
    and it only supports micro-sd cards, as in no micro-sdhc cartridges, which means yer stuck at 2 gigs..)

well get a psp or a dsi they both have mp3 player (dsi has a diferent format) other than that get a r4 or somethin

Quote Originally Posted by claudy View Post
    actually, the real r4ds has'nt been produced since 2008, after the guy behind it called it a quits, because of legal issues >_>; //

nowadays all it represents, is some kinda sellout, where every idiot can print money from western countries with cheap electronics :/

it supports no dldi patching
    moonshell, looking quite outdated
    there is no real compatability updating anymore, since its dead..
    and it only supports micro-sd cards, as in no micro-sdhc cartridges, which means yer stuck at 2 gigs..)
    they got R4 clones that support SDHC.. I got a 4 gig micro SD card in mine right now. Though I could really go for a 8 gig for more music and movies.

Also I got a PSP as well but the battery life doesn't last nearly as long, it doesn't have any of the DS games I like and the damn thing breaks extremely easy. Since every DS has a clamshell design it essentially protects itself. I accidentally dropped my DS Phat and my DS Lite more then a few times and the worst that ever happened was the paint was chipped.

If the PSP could support flash then it could actually be worth something from my view.. but the only thing I ever loved on it was Metal Gear Portable Ops, and Ridge Racer.

Also the DSI does NOT play MP3's you have to have the music in the ACC format, the same crap apple uses. Plus the 3DS coming out in most likely less then a year will pretty much be a DSi as well.