Thread: The IKEA Naming System

Default The IKEA Naming System

Every time that anybody buys something at furniture retail giant IKEA; one has always been curious as to what the names of the products actually mean. I found this article that describes the intricate and complex system that takes place in naming each and every product in IKEA. It seems very interesting to me since there are the names that people keep thinking about on the way back from IKEA.

IKEA Naming System

I guess I never really thought about their naming convention but it makes sense that there's a scheme to it.

Obligatory Jonathan Coulton video link: YouTube - IKEA

Peachy

I tend to just laugh at the names of their products and imagine how in God's name they came up with it. For example, they call their bed frame "malm". There's a nice German verb "zermalmen" which means "being squeezed to death instantly by a heavy weight". So I just think of a rather small and skinny guy being squeezed to death by a 200kg woman in an attempt to have sex in that IKEA bed.

I bought some silverware from Ikea one time. It was named "BONUS."

"Dude, come eat at my house with my BONUS."

Its cool how everything is flatpacked... I want a CNC router so badly!

I have never been to an IKEA. Though we have one in our area.

I always just assumed they were Swedish words for the products themselves or the designers.

The fact that desks and desk chairs are given male names and curtains and materials female names is more than a little sexist and is really ridiculous.

IKEA: Keeping the patriarchy alive one Jerker at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I tend to just laugh at the names of their products and imagine how in God's name they came up with it. For example, they call their bed frame "malm". There's a nice German verb "zermalmen" which means "being squeezed to death instantly by a heavy weight". So I just think of a rather small and skinny guy being squeezed to death by a 200kg woman in an attempt to have sex in that IKEA bed.
    ^Absolute win.

But yeah, always did wonder what the hell was with the names :P