Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Consequences of telling your doctor?

Default Consequences of telling your doctor?

Scenario: you meet your new primary care physician for a long overdue physical. This normally involves undressing down to your underwear. Let's assume that your underwear is a diaper. Let's further assume that your doctor asks you for your reasons for wearing the diaper. At this point you have a choice (provided that you wear diapers out of choice):
    (1) you can tell the truth and say: I need them for emotional comfort, or
    (2) you can lie and say that you are incontinent

What would the consequences be in terms of
    (a) your medical record and
    (b) your future "insurability"?

When working as a nurse in an E.R., I would make note of the diaper in the section of physical exam and note that the patient was possibly incontinent. Unless there were issues relating to the urinary system, no further information would be asked. Regarding the insurability, I have worked with that side of the medical system in the past and not seen any adverse effect of incontinence on insurability.

As to whether noting the diapers are for emotional comfort affecting anything, I would think that some may note this as a psychological issue which could possibly affect things later on. My advice - if you don't need the diapers for incontinence, try going to the doctor without them. It would just make things much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpup2008 View Post
    Scenario: you meet your new primary care physician for a long overdue physical. This normally involves undressing down to your underwear. Let's assume that your underwear is a diaper. Let's further assume that your doctor asks you for your reasons for wearing the diaper. At this point you have a choice (provided that you wear diapers out of choice):
    (1) you can tell the truth and say: I need them for emotional comfort, or
    Best idea, I wouldn't use those words exactly but still...
    (2) you can lie and say that you are incontinent Not a good idea.

What would the consequences be in terms of
    (a) your medical record and
    Well they would do the tests (not fun) and find out your not incontinent, your medical record would go unaffected. Then theres even more akwardness with the whole conversation of why you would lie about something like that...
    (b) your future "insurability"?
    Assuming you mean free diapers out of health care? Same as above.
    The fact is, doctors are smarter than that. They can see your medical history and probably won't disregard incontinence unless it is not the issue at the time and has been around for a long while (so like, an accident or disorder would have to be there to explain).

The whole lying about incontinence thing is going to end badly one way or another...

Which leaves you with no choice but to tell them, unless of course you choose not to wear that day. Doctors have to be confidential about everything you tell them anyways so what would be the harm? Just remember that they are doctors not psychologists or counsilers so don't expect any professional help there. The worst that could come from telling your doctor would probably be along the lines of "Well then, thats odd... moving on..." or maybe a few questions about *b/dl. No biggy.

Just don't tell your doctor because they will know if you're faking incontinence. Besides they don't want to know nor do they care if you wear diapers.

And it does a dishonor to us incont. folk. But whocares really, if you are going to your doctor and your not incontinent then you probably shouldn't just because the fact you might end up on some medicine you don't want. They might refer you to a urologist and have a fun time explaining that away. As for telling him its for emotional comfort, do you really want to go out of your way to put yourself in a position where you need to justify wearing diapers?

If I had a major, major brain lapse, ended up going to a physical in a diaper, and didn't realize it until I was already in the examination room being asked to get undressed... actually, y'know what? Every time I've been asked to get undressed, the nurse or doctor has always left the room for a few moments so I could get changed into one of those awful gowns. In that position, I would just take the diaper off, wrap it up, and make sure it was covered up by my clothes before they re-entered into the room. As for clean up, as long as the diaper was dry or just wet, it would be do-able without wipes. There's usually a box of Kleenex in exam rooms.

But back to the OP's question. Assuming the doctor saw me in the diaper, I would just say that I was wearing for convenience. I would give no emotional reason (really wouldn't want to get into it, if the doc happened to probe further) and no physical reason (though I could probably be legitimately given a prescription for Detrol). And to be perfectly honest, there are busy days when wearing a diaper really is more convenient than trying to find a bathroom every hour.

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    , there are busy days when wearing a diaper really is more convenient than trying to find a bathroom every hour.
    Of course, having to urinate every hour would be worth talking about with a doctor. You're not supposed to have to go to the bathroom that often.

Consequences depend upon temporal and geographic factors.

IN 10,000BC your doctor may hit you on the head with a rock.

IN space no one would hear you scream, "I'M WEARING A DIAPER!"

IN an impoverished and starving country you may have difficulty finding a doctor to tell.

IN the future there will not be anything resembling a diaper anymore,
    adult protection will look and feel like regular underwear until chemicals react to a void.

IN California the doctor would shrug and keep on with the physical.

IN some small towns in the US the doctor may actually take a moment to talk about why you have a diaper on, but I doubt it.

The doctor is there to perform a specific task and in most cases will not take the time to explore anything that doesn't seem to be a problem or that you do not ask about.

Doctor, I like to wear and use diapers for fun. And by fun I mean I have no need for it I have full control. I just like to wear them they give me comfort and they help me cope with life/problems. I am telling you this because I want to make them a more big part of my life and show up here in a diaper.

What could go wrong!

Butterfly Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    Doctor, I like to wear and use diapers for fun. And by fun I mean I have no need for it I have full control. I just like to wear them they give me comfort and they help me cope with life/problems. I am telling you this because I want to make them a more big part of my life and show up here in a diaper.

What could go wrong!
    Pretty much nothing. The doctor might say, "Hey, that means I don't have to treat this problem!"