Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Laws

Default Gun Laws

What are your opinions on gun laws in the US?

My view is, the People have a Constitutional right to own a weapon, specifically a gun, to defend themselves against either an intruder, or a tyrannic government. I really don't agree with gun laws at all, they're just depriving people of a right guaranteed to them in the Constitution.

What do you think?

--The Foxxeh Assassin--

You guys have had lots of backwards puritanical politicians but have not become a theocracy and still have enviable levels of civil rights. Politician's justifiable fear of assassination and rebellion have a lot to do with that.

You do have a lot of weird laws though. Tighter than Canada's is some respects and really lose in others. And many that are just bizarre and make no logical sense from any perspective.

Yeah.. I don't understand why guns should be banned. :[
    The people who would use them to inflict harm are going to have other means of doing so.

I'm not very much into politics though.

We do need some laws to prevent the acquisition of weapons of mass destruction or of weapons technology that is at least partially classified. For instance I don't feel comfortable with my neighbor saying he has the right to own a cobra gunship under the second amendment.

As for guns, it doesn't really matter if it is a M-60 or 22LR. Bullets kill, its just a matter of power and rate of fire, so no I don't mind the fact that I can get a license and go by a ma Duece (M2) from a dealer and waste money cutting p cars at the junkyard with it. I have hunting rifles for deer season I have an semi automatic rifle for fun at the range and God forbid, of the local Militia ever gets called up for combat duty. I have plinkers and bird guns and, in my civilian life, have never been called on to fire at anyone.

I live in a wilder section of the county and since our economy crashed our crime rate is on the rise. Home break-ins and assaults have jumped up. So i keep coach gun by the bed and both my wife and I have our permits for handgun carry.

So far, other than needing a permit that says I have completed training and am certified to carry a firearm in public, I have not had to deal with any kind of ban.

I know other places in America are doing bans but I choose not to live in those places. For me, at this time, TN has a good balance of gun rights and gun laws.

Well, as a teacher I once had said "Politics is all about where you draw the line." The issue of gun control fits that description perfectly. Where would you draw the line? To go to one extreme, would you allow every citizen to own nuclear weapons if they so pleased? Or, on the other end, would you ban everything that could be considered a weapon? I think that people should be able to have something, but not too much, lest they decide to go nuts. If they go nuts with small arms, they can kill a few people. But if they go nuts with a nuke, they're going to kill millions.

I think that the US laws are fairly good where they stand now, it's very difficult to get your hands on anything that is automatic and has the ability to kill or injure many, but you can get something to defend yourself with. I like the way that each State gets to write its own laws about gun control, to an extent. That way, the people of each State get to decide what they want, based on who they vote for. And if the States, or cities overstep their boundaries, then the Supreme Court can step in and (hopefully) makes things right. The beauty of the structure of the US Government is that there are always things in place to keep all the elements of the Government in check. Like guns.

I support gun laws. Felons and crazies shouldn't be allowed to legally buy a gun, plain and simple. I do not support a ban though, for two reasons: A) it would simply feed the already affluent black-market for guns and B) I feel as though to repel the amendment would just prove that our Bill of Rights is not so secure. I know it would take a s**t storm to actually see our first amendment rights revoked, but still, why send that message. A ban on guns would only ban them from the hands of those who are responsible and that do not create the problems that lead to the call of a ban on guns.

“And the National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do,” but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that…”
    -Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
    I support gun laws. Felons and crazies shouldn't be allowed to legally buy a gun, plain and simple. I do not support a ban though, for two reasons: A) it would simply feed the already affluent black-market for guns and B) I feel as though to repel the amendment would just prove that our Bill of Rights is not so secure. I know it would take a s**t storm to actually see our first amendment rights revoked, but still, why send that message. A ban on guns would only ban them from the hands of those who are responsible and that do not create the problems that lead to the call of a ban on guns.

“And the National Rifle Association says that, "Guns don't kill people, people do,” but I think the gun helps, you know? I think it helps. I just think just standing there going, "Bang!" That's not going to kill too many people, is it? You'd have to be really dodgy on the heart to have that…”
    -Eddie Izzard
    DUDE, a fellow Eddie Izzard fan!!

Felons cannot buy a firearm legally yet they still seem to get them, I agree with you, criminals will always find methods to get guns. Even when handguns are banned it doesn't stop the criminal element from getting them, just look at DC or Chicago as examples.

well im nmore concerned about the prohibition of nonfirearms, even weaposn which arnt EDGED like nunchuku, and tonfa etc.

as ive mentioned before, star shuriken... yeah they have every reaoson to be moonitered, those things are fricken nasty, they are small, byy theire natre they are DESIGNED and theyre name suggests them being able to be hidden in the hand. they are often very sharp, they can be thrown too without TOO much skill and at end up hurting SOMEONE, even if not the intended target.

but to ban swords. WRONG, ban caneswords except for antiques, automated switchblades etc. but a normal sword.. cmon, knives i can understand, theyre small and easy to surprise ppl with, a sword, yeah if they manage to catch u off guard its nasty, but its harder to do so, on the street youd see a katana coming from a MILE away.

/rant over

I'm all in favor of tighter gun laws. If you are a law abiding citizen, then you have nothing to worry about, you might have to wait a little longer for your gun, but you will get it if you aren't a felon. One thing I would like to see done is to see the gun show loophole get plugged forever. As it stands, in some states, anyone can go to a gun show, and leave with whatever they can afford (.22 cal to AK-47). No questions. No background checks.

Also, Bugatti: I think you meant the second amendment, not the first. The first amendment refers to freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of assembly. The Second amendment deals with the right to bear arms.

Oh boy, here we go again.

I think they're pretty good on the federal level. I do want to see the machine gun registry reopened again, but that'll be coming soon enough.

200 million guns in private hands is somewhat unique, no?

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I'm all in favor of tighter gun laws. If you are a law abiding citizen, then you have nothing to worry about, you might have to wait a little longer for your gun, but you will get it if you aren't a felon. One thing I would like to see done is to see the gun show loophole get plugged forever. As it stands, in some states, anyone can go to a gun show, and leave with whatever they can afford (.22 cal to AK-47). No questions. No background checks.

Also, Bugatti: I think you meant the second amendment, not the first. The first amendment refers to freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of assembly. The Second amendment deals with the right to bear arms.
    There is no gun show loophole. Unless you want to ban private purchase.