Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The UK General Election

Default The UK General Election

Is going to be called tomorrow and will take place a month from then.

It will be an interesting one. All signs should point to a comprehensive defeat for the incumbent Labour government - the financial crisis, the expenses scandal and the general fatigue of thirteen years under one party should mean victory for the Conservative opposition. But it's not quite that clear cut. The Tories are leading in the polls, but not by as much as they would like and the peculiarities of our electoral system mean there is some doubt about whether they will be able to form a majority government. I feel that some of the talk about a hung parliament has been overstated and it looks to me that we will be seeing a Conservative victory with a small but workable majority, but it is certainly clear that the country has not taken to David Cameron and the Tories in any great numbers or with any great enthusiasm. If they do win it seems it will be more of a cause of the lesser of two evils triumphing in they eyes of many Britons.

I would just encourage everyone who cares at all about our society and can vote to do so. Look at the prospective polices and draft manifestos of Labour, the Tories, the Lib Dems and any other parties standing in your constituency and see which appeals most to you. Also remember that you are not just voting for a party or a Prime Minister but for a Member of Parliament to represent your constituency - look up the voting record of your current MP on They Work For You and read the websites and campaign materials of the candidates in your area.

As for me, I'm not yet sure where my vote is going. I will never vote Tory - it simply runs counter to every instinct and ideal in me and the opportunism and shallowness of the Shadow Cabinet's proclamations on the economy really worry me. I cannot vote for this Labour government - I haven't forgiven Iraq and there are too many other betrayals and disappointments for me to yet consider it. And the Lib Dems? They are probably closer to me on policy than the others, but I don't entirely trust them or the consistency of their convictions. Nick Clegg worries me and I'm yet to be convinced by them. So, a smaller party or a spoilt ballot, then? Perhaps. I'm certainly not going to vote simply on the basis of the least worst option and will instead only vote for someone who is at least somewhat close to me politically. I will have to see who - if anyone - impresses in the campaign.

Anyhoo, thoughts? Intentions? Predictions? If nothing else it is shaping up to be the most interesting and significant election in this country since '97. Turnout will be a curious one to watch when you consider the rather contradictory factors of immense distrust of politicians - which should drive it down - and the scent of a change of government in the air - which should drive it up.

EDIT - here be a video of Brown calling the election
    Last edited by Jaiden; 06-Apr-2010 at 17:53. Reason: adding video

This will be an interesting time for the United Kingdom as I sit back in DC seeing what kind of a direction will our great ally will sift through this election. I have no opinion especially since I am still waiting myself for Obama's next move in the states, but from what I have learned from this site, it is that the Labour Party has done too much stuff as the Republicans in the states to be trusted again and that (see below)

David Cameron = Him

Hopefully this can turn into a real interesting General Election that will structure the policies that will change the world for the next years to come... what am I saying?

But how it looks unfortunately it does look like due to the factors of the Iraq war and the failed policies under the Tony Blair regime it does look like Him/David Cameron will be in fact the next Prime Minister of the UK.

Hopefully someone gets a majority. Or else you could wind up like Canada where you have an election almost every year.

The only reason we have not had one in the past few months is the Liberals were too broke to elect a new leader so they appointed one. He is a man that spent most of his adult life living in the states. And he has spent most of his time doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    The LibDems sound like total hippies.
    They're a curious lot, but 'hippies' isn't really a word I'd choose for them.

The problem is while Labour and the Tories traditionally occupied the left and right in politics, the Liberals were left trying to appeal to whoever they can tempt away and have built up a rather odd support base as a result. Because of this you can find a Lib Dem candidate who is definitely on the left in one constituency because that's the niche available and some of their policies reflect that - scrapping tuition fees, ditching our nuclear weapons and such - but you can also find a candidate who is standing on market liberalism and against the ideas of the state and the 'tyranny of the majority' in another, hence their leader Nick Clegg feeling he has to do things like praising Margaret Thatcher and talking tough on cuts.

If there is a hung parliament and we're left with no overall majority and someone trying to court the Liberals into a coalition it's perfectly possible that they could go either way - Labour or Tory, which is a strange scenario to be in.

babyjhonny

Vote for the the Green Party thats who im voting for time to focas on getting rid of neuclear weapons, govermeant coruption and put the plant in hospital so the earth has time to heal properly no more chloroflorohydrocarbons (CFC's) no more CARBON DIOXIDE no more Green house Gasses if mankind is to survive we have to take a stand and we have to act NOW

did that sound political ?

i really do support the green party you know

Quote Originally Posted by babyjhonny View Post
    Vote for the the Green Party thats who im voting for time to focas on getting rid of neuclear weapons, govermeant coruption and put the plant in hospital so the earth has time to heal properly no more chloroflorohydrocarbons (CFC's) no more CARBON DIOXIDE no more Green house Gasses if mankind is to survive we have to take a stand and we have to act NOW
    You are kinda misinformed.

For one CFCs have been banned for decades. For another without carbon dioxide, there's no us, and even more importantly, no soda.

I could also go into why I'm for - not against nuclear power, but that's for a different forum. I'll try and save myself from getting flamed here over something stupid and irrelevant.

did that sound political ?

i really do support the green party you know
    I'll stop breathing after you stop breathing.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    They're a curious lot, but 'hippies' isn't really a word I'd choose for them.

The problem is while Labour and the Tories traditionally occupied the left and right in politics, the Liberals were left trying to appeal to whoever they can tempt away and have built up a rather odd support base as a result. Because of this you can find a Lib Dem candidate who is definitely on the left in one constituency because that's the niche available and some of their policies reflect that - scrapping tuition fees, ditching our nuclear weapons and such - but you can also find a candidate who is standing on market liberalism and against the ideas of the state and the 'tyranny of the majority' in another, hence their leader Nick Clegg feeling he has to do things like praising Margaret Thatcher and talking tough on cuts.

If there is a hung parliament and we're left with no overall majority and someone trying to court the Liberals into a coalition it's perfectly possible that they could go either way - Labour or Tory, which is a strange scenario to be in.
    They do seem to be rather scatterbrained. It reminds me of good old populism. Whatever is popular, they like.

Which kinda explains why they favor new environmental taxes on one hand and want to deregulate business on the other. Although I admit I don't know enough about the situation to do any meaningful analysis. US Politics is confusing enough for one person.

EDIT: Libdems don't say very much about foreign policy, do they? Labour doesn't either...

If your numbers are right the time to act was a hundred years ago. The only thing that could be done now is nuking a continent or two. Nature will take care of this problem on it's own.

My prediction? The Tories will win it.

Which is a shame, because their policies seem to be as bad as, or worse than, Labour's. I've been watching their actions and comments in the news over the past few years, and everything they've done/said has been awful. It's been along the lines of:
    • Labour: We want <bad thing> to happen!
    • Tories: Labour's useless; <bad thing> sucks! <Even worse thing> should be done instead!
    • Lib Dems: You all suck. <Good alternative> should be done instead - but we have so little power than even most BBC News articles ignore our existence.

Yes, I might be a little biased towards the Lib Dems, but that's inevitable, given that they align most closely with my views.

Personally, I'm inclined to vote for the UK Pirate Party. They won't get any real power (thankfully, given that their manifesto is shocking), but it's about making a point politically. If they get a decent number of votes, other politicians might start waking up. Just look at the mess with the Digital Economy Bill recently. It gets its second reading today, and will likely have no more debate before being passed, so we're going to get an utterly horrible Bill passed into law - a Bill that violates our human rights, for a start. Tens of thousands of average citizens have written to their MPs to try and get it properly debated - although my (Labour) MP wrote back saying, as far as I could make out, that he supports the Digital Economy Bill, so is quite happy to not debate it >.<

I guess I'm more of a political idealist at the moment, so voting Pirate makes more of an impression than "yet another LibDem vote that still won't give them any power". Which is a shame, since I'd much prefer the Lib Dems to have a majority than either of the other two excuses for parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiden View Post
    The problem is while Labour and the Tories traditionally occupied the left and right in politics, the Liberals were left trying to appeal to whoever they can tempt away and have built up a rather odd support base as a result.
    That may have been the case in the past, but it doesn't really apply any more, apparently. Take a read of this article discussing how all three of the main parties are now on the "right". (Weirdly, that site's explanations of stuff puts me closer to the Greens than the LibDems, but I've read the manifestos of both parties and absolutely abhor the Greens'. Not sure what's going on, there...)